One usb key does not work - Hardware

This is a discussion on One usb key does not work - Hardware ; I have a usb key (Lexar) that works fine, but another (San Disk) that has stopped working. When I try to write to files to it I get the error "read-only file system". When plugged in the key is recognized ...

  1. One usb key does not work

    I have a usb key (Lexar) that works fine, but another (San Disk)
    that has stopped working. When I try to write to files to it I get the
    error "read-only file system".

    When plugged in the key is recognized in /proc/bus/usb/devices:

    T: Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=03 Port=02 Cnt=01 Dev#= 12 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=0781 ProdID=5151 Rev= 0.20
    S: Manufacturer=SanDisk Corporation
    S: Product=Cruzer Micro
    S: SerialNumber=SNDK3066A502FC209505
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=200mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=125us

    In fstab I have:

    /dev/sdc1 /media/usb-key vfat rw,user,noauto

    The mount point is:

    $ ls -l /media | grep usb-key
    drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 16384 1969-12-31 19:00 usb-key

    The key is a year or two old and worked when I first got it, but I've
    not used it since until now. I can mount it as root, and read the files
    that came with it, but when I try to write as root, I get the error
    message.

    Something tells me I should not be seeing all those files that
    came with the key, although originally I added my own file to them.

    Can flash memory break, and if so, is my error a possible sign of it?
    Are there differences among brands as far as drivers are concerned?

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  2. Re: One usb key does not work

    Bill Marcum writes:

    > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:10:05 -0500, Haines Brown
    > wrote:
    >>

    >> I have a usb key (Lexar) that works fine, but another (San Disk)
    >> that has stopped working. When I try to write to files to it I get the
    >> error "read-only file system".
    >>

    > Try umounting it and running dosfsck.

    Bill, thanks for the advice. dosfsck reported duplicate directory
    entry and then kept reporting a hugh number of file errors of all
    kinds. After going through this procedure three times with no
    progress, it was clear that dosfsck was not coping with the problem,
    and I probably only made it worse.

    It seems I need to start from scratch with a low level format and then
    add a file system. I don't know how to do this with a usb key.

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

+ Reply to Thread