? low power CPUs = - Hardware

This is a discussion on ? low power CPUs = - Hardware ; Since the OLPC [one laptop per chold] project has chosen other than the ARM CPU -- something like "goede?" -- I'm guessing that that's also a low powered CPU. Are power comsumptions for linux capable CPUs published somewhere ? == ...

  1. ? low power CPUs =

    Since the OLPC [one laptop per chold] project has chosen other
    than the ARM CPU -- something like "goede?" -- I'm guessing that that's
    also a low powered CPU.

    Are power comsumptions for linux capable CPUs published somewhere ?

    == Chris Glur.

  2. Re: ? low power CPUs =

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc no-top-post wrote:
    > Since the OLPC [one laptop per chold] project has chosen other
    > than the ARM CPU -- something like "goede?" -- I'm guessing that that's
    > also a low powered CPU.

    > Are power comsumptions for linux capable CPUs published somewhere ?

    I have not found an overview so far. AMD Genode is one of the
    low-power types. VIA C3 is also low-power, in the <20W class
    for CPU, Mainboard and RAM althogether. I used to have one of
    these as a firewall. Then there are numerous industrial solution,
    down to 386-type CPUs. All of them run sreight Linux.

    For uClinux, you can get things like the "picotux" that
    has something like 1W total, but os really limited....

    Arno

  3. Re: ? low power CPUs =

    [Note: Follow-ups set to comp.os.linux.hardware since the thread is
    drifting away from PC hardware.]

    no-top-post wrote:
    > Since the OLPC [one laptop per chold] project has chosen other
    > than the ARM CPU -- something like "goede?" -- I'm guessing that that's
    > also a low powered CPU.

    The AMD Geode is indeed a very low power CPU, and (unlike ARM) it is
    x86-compatible.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Connectivit...0_2330,00.html

    > Are power comsumptions for linux capable CPUs published somewhere ?

    There's no single list, AFAIK. Heck, there's no single list of
    Linux-compatible CPUs for that matter.

    In addition to the aforementioned ARM and Geode CPUs, there are also
    many low-power MIPS CPUs that are capable of running Linux (e.g.,
    certain Linksys routers are MIPS-based and run Linux). Not all MIPS
    CPUs are suitable for running Linux, and not all would be considered
    low-power.

    There are lots of low-power CPU options available for embedded systems
    running Linux, both x86-compatible and not.

  4. Re: ? low power CPUs =

    no-top-post wrote:
    > Since the OLPC [one laptop per chold] project has chosen other
    > than the ARM CPU -- something like "goede?" -- I'm guessing that that's
    > also a low powered CPU.
    >
    > Are power comsumptions for linux capable CPUs published somewhere ?
    >
    > == Chris Glur.

    usually in the tech notes of the manufacturer, and in the engineering
    sheets, some in books, some on the web as pdf/odf.

    I would rec you google what you need.
    here is what I found:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geode_(processor)

+ Reply to Thread