DSE PCMCIA modem with Ubuntu Edgy - Hardware

This is a discussion on DSE PCMCIA modem with Ubuntu Edgy - Hardware ; Hi There, I purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics in New Zealand) PCMCIA modem for use with my laptop. It used to work with Mandriva 2005 and Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog but since I upgraded to Mandriva 2007 and finally Ubuntu ...

  1. DSE PCMCIA modem with Ubuntu Edgy

    Hi There,

    I purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics in New Zealand) PCMCIA modem
    for use with my laptop. It used to work with Mandriva 2005 and Ubuntu
    Hoary Hedgehog but since I upgraded to Mandriva 2007 and finally Ubuntu
    Edgy Eft it has stopped working. The hardware manager in Edgy can find
    the modem but it can't do anything with it.

    I want to get the modem working with edgy but I can't find any good
    resources to get it working. I am not a Linux guru so I need straight
    forward instructions to help me through. If you could help it would be
    greatly appreciated. I am using a Toshiba Satellite A20 which uses an
    ALI chipset. Good Luck and I hope to hear from you soon. Have a great
    holiday season and a happy new year.

    Craig Williamson

  2. Re: DSE PCMCIA modem with Ubuntu Edgy

    Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On 25 Dec 2006 00:26:37 -0800, Craig Williamson
    > wrote:
    > >

    > > Hi There,
    > >
    > > I purchased a DSE (Dick Smith Electronics in New Zealand) PCMCIA modem
    > > for use with my laptop. It used to work with Mandriva 2005 and Ubuntu
    > > Hoary Hedgehog but since I upgraded to Mandriva 2007 and finally Ubuntu
    > > Edgy Eft it has stopped working. The hardware manager in Edgy can find
    > > the modem but it can't do anything with it.
    > >
    > > I want to get the modem working with edgy but I can't find any good
    > > resources to get it working. I am not a Linux guru so I need straight
    > > forward instructions to help me through. If you could help it would be
    > > greatly appreciated. I am using a Toshiba Satellite A20 which uses an
    > > ALI chipset. Good Luck and I hope to hear from you soon. Have a great
    > > holiday season and a happy new year.
    > >

    > Is it a hardware modem or a winmodem? What does "lspci" say?
    >

    > --
    > If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that
    > fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and
    > heartbeats.

    Thanks for replying. I've been away and used a different email
    address. The lspci command gave me the following:

    peter@peter-laptop:~$ sudo lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1672 Northbridge
    [CyberALADDiN-P4]
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation PCI to AGP Controller
    00:04.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)
    00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link
    Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
    00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533/M1535 PCI to ISA Bridge
    [Aladdin IV/V/V+]
    00:08.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
    00:09.0 Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97 Modem Controller
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    00:0c.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    00:0c.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    00:0c.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
    00:11.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC100 PCI to
    Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 33)
    00:12.0 System peripheral: Toshiba America Info Systems SD TypA
    Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade
    XPAi1 (rev 82)

    The PCMCIA modem was not detected using this command. It is detected
    in the HAL device manager as a FM56C-NCTS modem. I found that it uses
    the Intel MD566x chipset. The Toshiba A20 laptop I am using also has a
    winmodem which is detected in the same program as a 'M5457 AC'97 Modem
    Controller'. The winmodem has been given /dev/ttyS0 up to /dev/ttyS3
    (/dev/modem is not present) while the PCMCIA modem has no link to the
    device. I know it worked with Mandriva 2006 on this computer and on
    another computer (Toshiba Satellite A30 running Ubuntu Hoary) but it is
    not working with either Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu Edgy which were both
    running on this computer (I'm writing this using Windows using the same
    computer system (Bugger!)).

    I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has had the same problem so please
    let me know if you have a fix. Thanks and good luck.

+ Reply to Thread