Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. :( - Hardware

This is a discussion on Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. :( - Hardware ; Earlier today, I upgraded my Debian/Linux box from a MSI KT4AV-L ( http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=456 ; VIA VT8235 Chipset with its integrated direct sound AC'97 audio/RealTek ALC650 6-channel audio) motherboard to an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe ( http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...1=3&l2=14&l3=0 ; ADI AD1980 6-channel ...

  1. Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. :(

    Earlier today, I upgraded my Debian/Linux box from a MSI KT4AV-L
    (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=456
    ; VIA VT8235 Chipset with its integrated direct sound AC'97
    audio/RealTek ALC650 6-channel audio) motherboard to an ASUS K8V SE
    Deluxe
    (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...1=3&l2=14&l3=0
    ; ADI AD1980 6-channel CODEC). Everything seems to work except for the
    sound. I don't see any errors or anything odd. I just get no audio. I
    checked with speakers and headphones. I even booted to Windows on the
    same hardware to try ASUS' SoundMAX Audio Driver v5.12.01.3663. It had
    no problems so the onboard sound is fine.

    I have Kernel v2.6.18-2 (Linux fool 2.6.18-3-k7 #1 SMP Sun Dec 10
    20:17:39 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux), ALSA (alsa-base v1.0.13-2), etc. I
    tried play command, XMMS in KDE v3.4.3, speaker-test command, etc. I
    installed Kernel, software, checked the volumes, etc. from apt-get
    command. Here are play and speaker-test command results (notice there
    are no errors):

    $ speaker-test

    speaker-test 1.0.13

    Playback device is default
    Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
    Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
    Buffer size range from 32 to 32768
    Period size range from 16 to 16384
    Using max buffer size 32768
    Periods = 4
    was set period_size = 8192
    was set buffer_size = 32768
    0 - Front Left
    Time per period = 2.219238
    0 - Front Left
    Time per period = 2.901248
    0 - Front Left

    $ play mail.wav

    Input Filename : mail.wav
    Sample Size : 8-bits
    Sample Encoding: unsigned
    Channels : 2
    Sample Rate : 8000
    Comments :
    GoldWave v1.00 (C) Chris Craig;Sound Forge 4.0

    Time: 00:04.14 [00:00.00] of 00:04.14 ( 100.0%) Output Buffer: 33.14K

    Done.

    # lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    vmnet 34796 13
    parport_pc 32612 0
    parport 33672 1 parport_pc
    vmmon 103884 0
    binfmt_misc 11272 1
    ipv6 228064 18
    dm_snapshot 15840 0
    dm_mirror 19600 0
    dm_mod 50776 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
    eeprom 7504 0
    i2c_viapro 8532 0
    w83627hf 23056 0
    hwmon_vid 3072 1 w83627hf
    i2c_isa 5440 1 w83627hf
    i2c_core 20096 4 eeprom,i2c_viapro,w83627hf,i2c_isa
    usbhid 37856 2
    snd_seq_dummy 4164 0
    snd_seq_oss 29120 0
    snd_seq_midi 8544 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 7488 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq 46224 6
    snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
    usb_storage 72832 0
    eth1394 18756 0
    tsdev 7808 0
    sk98lin 133344 0
    snd_via82xx 26328 0
    sata_via 10372 0
    gameport 14920 1 snd_via82xx
    snd_via82xx_modem 14408 0
    shpchp 33312 0
    libata 90644 1 sata_via
    ide_cd 36576 0
    cdrom 33056 1 ide_cd
    snd_ac97_codec 83360 2 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem
    snd_ac97_bus 2688 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm_oss 39200 0
    snd_mixer_oss 15552 1 snd_pcm_oss
    amd64_agp 12292 1
    psmouse 35336 0
    ehci_hcd 28488 0
    pci_hotplug 29056 1 shpchp
    skge 35152 0
    scsi_mod 124872 2 usb_storage,libata
    snd_mpu401_uart 8384 1 snd_via82xx
    uhci_hcd 21448 0
    rtc 12788 0
    agpgart 30216 1 amd64_agp
    serio_raw 6980 0
    usbcore 113412 7 usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
    e100 32904 0
    mii 5696 1 e100
    ohci1394 31344 0
    ieee1394 88376 2 eth1394,ohci1394
    snd_rawmidi 23200 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart
    snd_seq_device 8140 5
    snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd _rawmidi
    snd_pcm 68996 4
    snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_p cm_oss
    snd_timer 21316 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    floppy 53668 0
    pcspkr 3392 0
    snd 47524 12
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem, snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_mpu40 1_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_time r
    snd_page_alloc 9928 3 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_pcm
    soundcore 9568 1 snd
    ext3 120392 10
    jbd 52968 1 ext3
    mbcache 8644 1 ext3
    ide_disk 15168 13
    generic 5316 0 [permanent]
    via82cxxx 8708 0 [permanent]
    ide_core 110984 5

    $ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8385 [K8T800 AGP] Host
    Bridge (rev 01)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge
    [K8T800/K8T890 South]
    00:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
    Controller (rev 80)
    00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82559 InBusiness 10/100
    (rev 08)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001
    Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
    00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID
    Controller (rev 80)
    00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
    Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
    Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
    Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
    Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge
    [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem
    Controller (rev 80)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    Miscellaneous Control
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV40 [GeForce
    6800] (rev a1)

    What's the problem and how do I fix it? Thank you in advance.
    --
    "When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. :(

    ANTant@zimage.com writes:
    >[...] ASUS K8V SE Deluxe [...] Everything seems to work except for the
    >sound. I don't see any errors or anything odd. I just get no audio.

    I am sure you thought about that, but just in case: My generic advice
    is to always start with the appropriate mixer (probably alsamixer in
    your case) and play around with the settings to turn on the output.

    I have that board but I cannot help you concretely, because I use a
    separate sound card for audio.

    BTW, if you ever want to run 64-bit Linux on that board, and
    experience hangs and machine checks shortly after (and sometimes
    during) booting, the cure that works for me is to boot Windows ME
    first and let it on for a few minutes before rebooting. I can't
    explain it, but it works.

    Followups set to colh.

    - anton

  3. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. [ASUS K8V SE Deluxe]

    In comp.os.linux.hardware Anton Ertl wrote:
    > ANTant@zimage.com writes:
    > >[...] ASUS K8V SE Deluxe [...] Everything seems to work except for the
    > >sound. I don't see any errors or anything odd. I just get no audio.

    > I am sure you thought about that, but just in case: My generic advice
    > is to always start with the appropriate mixer (probably alsamixer in
    > your case) and play around with the settings to turn on the output.

    Yeah, I did that and kmix (in KDE). Nothing comes out. I also think the
    onboard sound is dectected correctly:

    AlsaMixer v1.0.13
    Card: VIA 8237
    Chip: Analog Devices AD1980
    Item: Master

    Does that look right? I know it is VIA and ADI, but don't know about the
    model numbers.

    > I have that board but I cannot help you concretely, because I use a
    > separate sound card for audio.

    Really? Hopw come? Maybe I should stick in my old SB Live card in it! I
    don't need fancy sound setup on this machine. I just want basic sound
    and I know it works because Windows XP's driver had no problems!

    > BTW, if you ever want to run 64-bit Linux on that board, and
    > experience hangs and machine checks shortly after (and sometimes
    > during) booting, the cure that works for me is to boot Windows ME
    > first and let it on for a few minutes before rebooting. I can't
    > explain it, but it works.

    Wow, that's odd. I will keep that in mind if I ever do install 64-bit
    versino. How do you like the 64-bit compared to 32-bit? I run 32-bit
    right now. It's fast to me. How's the support with 64-bit? I recall that
    there were no 64-bit Flash, etc.
    --
    "When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
    /\___/\
    ( )

  4. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. :(

    > Earlier today, I upgraded my Debian/Linux box from a MSI KT4AV-L
    > to an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe. Everything seems to work except for the
    > sound.

    This may not help but is there a way to unistall and reinstall the sound
    subsystem from scratch without having to do an os install? The hardware
    seems to be fine, it's just the software. It seems the PnP routine of
    setting up the new sound stuff with the different hardware didn't take
    place correctly.

    let us know how it turns out even if you have to do an os reinstall/install.

    later.....

  5. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't playaudio. [ASUS K8V SE Deluxe]

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:10:53 -0600, ANTant wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.hardware Anton Ertl wrote:
    >> ANTant@zimage.com writes:
    >> >[...] ASUS K8V SE Deluxe [...] Everything seems to work except for the
    >> >sound. I don't see any errors or anything odd. I just get no audio.

    >> I am sure you thought about that, but just in case: My generic advice
    >> is to always start with the appropriate mixer (probably alsamixer in
    >> your case) and play around with the settings to turn on the output.

    > Yeah, I did that and kmix (in KDE). Nothing comes out. I also think the
    > onboard sound is dectected correctly:
    >
    > AlsaMixer v1.0.13
    > Card: VIA 8237
    > Chip: Analog Devices AD1980
    > Item: Master
    >
    > Does that look right? I know it is VIA and ADI, but don't know about the
    > model numbers.
    >

    >> I have that board but I cannot help you concretely, because I use a
    >> separate sound card for audio.

    > Really? Hopw come? Maybe I should stick in my old SB Live card in it! I
    > don't need fancy sound setup on this machine. I just want basic sound
    > and I know it works because Windows XP's driver had no problems!
    >

    >> BTW, if you ever want to run 64-bit Linux on that board, and
    >> experience hangs and machine checks shortly after (and sometimes
    >> during) booting, the cure that works for me is to boot Windows ME
    >> first and let it on for a few minutes before rebooting. I can't
    >> explain it, but it works.

    > Wow, that's odd. I will keep that in mind if I ever do install 64-bit
    > versino. How do you like the 64-bit compared to 32-bit? I run 32-bit
    > right now. It's fast to me. How's the support with 64-bit? I recall that
    > there were no 64-bit Flash, etc.

    Have you tried alsamixer? I've always had better luck with alsamixer than
    I've had with the GUI sound controls.

  6. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. [ASUS K8V SE Deluxe]

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:10:53 -0600, ANTant wrote:

    > >> I am sure you thought about that, but just in case: My generic advice
    > >> is to always start with the appropriate mixer (probably alsamixer in
    > >> your case) and play around with the settings to turn on the output.

    > > Yeah, I did that and kmix (in KDE). Nothing comes out. I also think the
    > > onboard sound is dectected correctly:
    > >
    > > AlsaMixer v1.0.13
    > > Card: VIA 8237
    > > Chip: Analog Devices AD1980
    > > Item: Master
    > >
    > > Does that look right? I know it is VIA and ADI, but don't know about the
    > > model numbers.
    > >

    > >> I have that board but I cannot help you concretely, because I use a
    > >> separate sound card for audio.

    > > Really? Hopw come? Maybe I should stick in my old SB Live card in it! I
    > > don't need fancy sound setup on this machine. I just want basic sound
    > > and I know it works because Windows XP's driver had no problems!
    > >

    > >> BTW, if you ever want to run 64-bit Linux on that board, and
    > >> experience hangs and machine checks shortly after (and sometimes
    > >> during) booting, the cure that works for me is to boot Windows ME
    > >> first and let it on for a few minutes before rebooting. I can't
    > >> explain it, but it works.

    > > Wow, that's odd. I will keep that in mind if I ever do install 64-bit
    > > versino. How do you like the 64-bit compared to 32-bit? I run 32-bit
    > > right now. It's fast to me. How's the support with 64-bit? I recall that
    > > there were no 64-bit Flash, etc.

    > Have you tried alsamixer? I've always had better luck with alsamixer than
    > I've had with the GUI sound controls.

    Please see my above reply.
    --
    "When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
    /\___/\
    ( )

  7. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. :(

    In comp.os.linux.hardware ***** charles wrote:
    > > Earlier today, I upgraded my Debian/Linux box from a MSI KT4AV-L
    > > to an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe. Everything seems to work except for the
    > > sound.

    > This may not help but is there a way to unistall and reinstall the sound
    > subsystem from scratch without having to do an os install? The hardware
    > seems to be fine, it's just the software. It seems the PnP routine of
    > setting up the new sound stuff with the different hardware didn't take
    > place correctly.

    > let us know how it turns out even if you have to do an os reinstall/install.

    > later.....

    I thought Linux was designed not to require a reinstall. Even Window
    doesn't need a reinstall either after a hardware swap. Reset settings,
    sure but where in Debian/Linux?

    --
    "When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
    /\___/\
    ( )

  8. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. [ASUS K8V SE Deluxe]

    ANTant@zimage.com writes:
    >In comp.os.linux.hardware Anton Ertl wrote:
    >> I have that board but I cannot help you concretely, because I use a
    >> separate sound card for audio.

    >Really? Hopw come?

    I had it before, and I guess that a dedicated board has a better
    quality than an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink motherboard (although
    the motherboard is probably good enough).

    > Maybe I should stick in my old SB Live card in it!

    Might be a way to solve your problem. AFAIK the SB Live is a relative
    of my SB Audigy, so I might be able to help you there if there is a
    problem.

    >How do you like the 64-bit compared to 32-bit?

    I like it fine. It's probably does not matter unless you have a real
    reason to want a specific version (64-bit development in my case).

    >How's the support with 64-bit?

    Good enough for me.

    > I recall that
    >there were no 64-bit Flash, etc.

    I don't care for Flash. I do have some old 32-bit binaries, they
    originally ran fine with this Gentoo multilib install, but some X
    programs broke after an upgrade. There are ways to deal with this,
    but I haven't bothered.

    - anton

  9. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. [ASUS K8V SE Deluxe]

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > ANTant@zimage.com writes:
    > >In comp.os.linux.hardware Anton Ertl wrote:
    > >> I have that board but I cannot help you concretely, because I use a
    > >> separate sound card for audio.

    > >Really? Hopw come?

    > I had it before, and I guess that a dedicated board has a better
    > quality than an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink motherboard (although
    > the motherboard is probably good enough).

    True, but then this Debian box is using cheap tiny speakers. Nothing
    fancy. Not gaming, no audio editing, etc. I use it as backup workstation
    machine. I still need sound if my main machine goes down or whatever.

    > > Maybe I should stick in my old SB Live card in it!

    > Might be a way to solve your problem. AFAIK the SB Live is a relative
    > of my SB Audigy, so I might be able to help you there if there is a
    > problem.

    I fixed the problem. See my other reply.

    > >How do you like the 64-bit compared to 32-bit?

    > I like it fine. It's probably does not matter unless you have a real
    > reason to want a specific version (64-bit development in my case).

    > >How's the support with 64-bit?

    > Good enough for me.

    > > I recall that
    > >there were no 64-bit Flash, etc.

    > I don't care for Flash. I do have some old 32-bit binaries, they
    > originally ran fine with this Gentoo multilib install, but some X
    > programs broke after an upgrade. There are ways to deal with this,
    > but I haven't bothered.

    Ah, that would be a problem for me sicne I use Debian/Linux as a
    workstation so I need Flash and any other programs that don't exist in
    64-bit.
    --
    "When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
    /\___/\
    ( )

  10. Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio. :(

    It was actually working all the along I think. I got help from ALSA
    folks.

    They suggested to try every damn options in mixer even if they don't
    sound like anything. There were FOUR VIA DXS labels that are volumes in
    the mixers. I had NO idea what it is, but the far left/first one at 100%
    gave me volume!!

    Sheesh, that was a horrible label there. So, I posted back on ALSA
    mailing list about this issue. No wonder Linux is not good in desktop
    area and usability!! Gah, how would I know what that is and that
    impacted my audio volume!

    Whew. Whew.

+ Reply to Thread