Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge? - Hardware ; My friend bought one new Dell E520 computer and which use intel 965 chipset ,ICH8 south-bridge and sata cd-rom, I've not found any proper linux OS for him now. I don't know if RH AS4-U4 support it, who had tried ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge?

  1. Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge?

    My friend bought one new Dell E520 computer and which use intel 965 chipset
    ,ICH8 south-bridge and sata cd-rom, I've not found any proper linux OS for
    him now. I don't know if RH AS4-U4 support it, who had tried it and give me
    some advice?

    Where to find the supported hardware list for AS4-U4? I find the redhat's
    link as following:

    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/li...tus=Compatible

    But it only list the servers and workstations with brand, I can't find any
    chipset info.

    Have a good day!

    B.R.

    Joffre



  2. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8south-bridge?

    tech11 wrote:
    > My friend bought one new Dell E520 computer and which use intel 965 chipset
    > ,ICH8 south-bridge and sata cd-rom, I've not found any proper linux OS for
    > him now. I don't know if RH AS4-U4 support it, who had tried it and give me
    > some advice?


    The name on the distribution has little or no impact on hardware
    support. Kernel version is what determines what hardware is supported,
    for the most part. What kernel version comes with RH AS4-U4? According
    the Changelogs at kernel.org there have been big bug fixes for the ICH8
    and 965 chipset in recent kernels.

    AFAICT, you'll want 2.6.18 or (better still) 2.6.19, whether you use RH
    or some other distribution.

  3. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8south-bridge?

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:27:02 +0800, tech11 wrote:

    > My friend bought one new Dell E520 computer and which use intel 965 chipset
    > ,ICH8 south-bridge and sata cd-rom, I've not found any proper linux OS for
    > him now. I don't know if RH AS4-U4 support it, who had tried it and give me
    > some advice?
    >
    > Where to find the supported hardware list for AS4-U4? I find the redhat's
    > link as following:
    >
    > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/li...tus=Compatible
    >
    > But it only list the servers and workstations with brand, I can't find any
    > chipset info.
    >
    > Have a good day!
    >
    > B.R.
    >
    > Joffre


    Try Fedora Core 6, it's using the 2.6.18 kernel. I'm running FC6 on an
    Abit AB9 Pro motherboard (G965 with an ICH8R). I had to install the
    2.6.19.1 kernel from http://www.kernel.org/ to get the Ethernet to work.
    The Abit board uses the Realtek 8168B Ethernet controllers which are
    fairly common on 965 boards, I don't know what Dell used. After you
    install FC6 you'll know if the Ethernet is working or not. If it's not
    then do an lspci to find out which controller they used.

    BTW if you do have Ethernet problems the simplest way to put the source
    code for a new kernel or for a driver is to use a USB Key. If you have a
    PCI Ethernet card laying around you could put that in the machine
    temporarily until you've upgraded the kernel to support the on board
    Ethernet.

  4. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge?


    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:27:02 +0800, tech11 wrote:
    >
    > > My friend bought one new Dell E520 computer and which use intel 965 chipset
    > > ,ICH8 south-bridge and sata cd-rom, I've not found any proper linux OS for
    > > him now. I don't know if RH AS4-U4 support it, who had tried it and give me
    > > some advice?
    > >
    > > Where to find the supported hardware list for AS4-U4? I find the redhat's
    > > link as following:
    > >
    > > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/li...tus=Compatible
    > >
    > > But it only list the servers and workstations with brand, I can't find any
    > > chipset info.
    > >
    > > Have a good day!
    > >
    > > B.R.
    > >
    > > Joffre

    >
    > Try Fedora Core 6, it's using the 2.6.18 kernel. I'm running FC6 on an
    > Abit AB9 Pro motherboard (G965 with an ICH8R). I had to install the
    > 2.6.19.1 kernel from http://www.kernel.org/ to get the Ethernet to work.
    > The Abit board uses the Realtek 8168B Ethernet controllers which are
    > fairly common on 965 boards, I don't know what Dell used. After you
    > install FC6 you'll know if the Ethernet is working or not. If it's not
    > then do an lspci to find out which controller they used.
    >
    > BTW if you do have Ethernet problems the simplest way to put the source
    > code for a new kernel or for a driver is to use a USB Key. If you have a
    > PCI Ethernet card laying around you could put that in the machine
    > temporarily until you've upgraded the kernel to support the on board
    > Ethernet.


    I added a Promise PATA controller ($50) "temporatily" to get around the
    4MB/sec
    perf on sata drive but would like to install 2.6.19 also.
    Would I reuse the initrd for the 2.6.18 kernel that came with FC6 or do
    I need to somhow build one of my own?
    I'm having no luck building a usable 2.6.x kernels :-(((
    I have a working on board ethernet though :-)


  5. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8south-bridge?

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:36:37 -0800, sndive wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:27:02 +0800, tech11 wrote:
    >>
    >> > My friend bought one new Dell E520 computer and which use intel 965 chipset
    >> > ,ICH8 south-bridge and sata cd-rom, I've not found any proper linux OS for
    >> > him now. I don't know if RH AS4-U4 support it, who had tried it and give me
    >> > some advice?
    >> >
    >> > Where to find the supported hardware list for AS4-U4? I find the redhat's
    >> > link as following:
    >> >
    >> > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/li...tus=Compatible
    >> >
    >> > But it only list the servers and workstations with brand, I can't find any
    >> > chipset info.
    >> >
    >> > Have a good day!
    >> >
    >> > B.R.
    >> >
    >> > Joffre

    >>
    >> Try Fedora Core 6, it's using the 2.6.18 kernel. I'm running FC6 on an
    >> Abit AB9 Pro motherboard (G965 with an ICH8R). I had to install the
    >> 2.6.19.1 kernel from http://www.kernel.org/ to get the Ethernet to work.
    >> The Abit board uses the Realtek 8168B Ethernet controllers which are
    >> fairly common on 965 boards, I don't know what Dell used. After you
    >> install FC6 you'll know if the Ethernet is working or not. If it's not
    >> then do an lspci to find out which controller they used.
    >>
    >> BTW if you do have Ethernet problems the simplest way to put the source
    >> code for a new kernel or for a driver is to use a USB Key. If you have a
    >> PCI Ethernet card laying around you could put that in the machine
    >> temporarily until you've upgraded the kernel to support the on board
    >> Ethernet.

    >
    > I added a Promise PATA controller ($50) "temporatily" to get around the
    > 4MB/sec
    > perf on sata drive but would like to install 2.6.19 also.
    > Would I reuse the initrd for the 2.6.18 kernel that came with FC6 or do
    > I need to somhow build one of my own?
    > I'm having no luck building a usable 2.6.x kernels :-(((
    > I have a working on board ethernet though :-)


    I wasn't able to load the 2.6.19 kernel RPM that Fedora had in their
    testing repository because of an RPM dependency on initrd. Also when I
    tried to build 2.6.19.1 using the ,config file from the latest FC 2.6.18.x
    kernel I got a kernel panic. What I ended up doing was downloading the
    source for the FC testing version of the 2.6.19.x kernel and using it's
    ..config file as my starting point. Using that .config I was able to build
    working 2.6.19.1 and 2.6.20rc1 kernels. I'm currently using 2.6.19.1.

  6. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge?


    "General Schvantzkoph" 写入消息新闻:4uqlvoF1990aoU1@mid.individual.net...
    > On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:27:02 +0800, tech11 wrote:
    >
    >> My friend bought one new Dell E520 computer and which use intel 965
    >> chipset
    >> ,ICH8 south-bridge and sata cd-rom, I've not found any proper linux OS
    >> for
    >> him now. I don't know if RH AS4-U4 support it, who had tried it and give
    >> me
    >> some advice?
    >>
    >> Where to find the supported hardware list for AS4-U4? I find the redhat's
    >> link as following:
    >>
    >> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/li...tus=Compatible
    >>
    >> But it only list the servers and workstations with brand, I can't find
    >> any
    >> chipset info.
    >>
    >> Have a good day!
    >>
    >> B.R.
    >>
    >> Joffre

    >
    > Try Fedora Core 6, it's using the 2.6.18 kernel. I'm running FC6 on an
    > Abit AB9 Pro motherboard (G965 with an ICH8R). I had to install the
    > 2.6.19.1 kernel from http://www.kernel.org/ to get the Ethernet to work.
    > The Abit board uses the Realtek 8168B Ethernet controllers which are
    > fairly common on 965 boards, I don't know what Dell used. After you
    > install FC6 you'll know if the Ethernet is working or not. If it's not
    > then do an lspci to find out which controller they used.
    >
    > BTW if you do have Ethernet problems the simplest way to put the source
    > code for a new kernel or for a driver is to use a USB Key. If you have a
    > PCI Ethernet card laying around you could put that in the machine
    > temporarily until you've upgraded the kernel to support the on board
    > Ethernet.
    >


    I run google search and find AS4-U4 support ICH8 southbridge through
    setting BIOS to AHCI mode, and I remember the built-in network and sata
    controller is integrated in southbridge, is it to say AS4-U4 maybe used on
    the hardware? Since my friend in other place and I can't try it on his
    machine. It's such a pity!

    B.R.

    Joffre



  7. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge?

    "tech11" wrote in news:em7l4d$22i$1@news.cn99.com:

    > My friend bought one new Dell E520 computer and which use intel 965
    > chipset ,ICH8 south-bridge and sata cd-rom, I've not found any proper
    > linux OS for him now. I don't know if RH AS4-U4 support it, who had
    > tried it and give me some advice?
    >


    Read our posts (starting at )
    regarding the Asus p5B board which is a P965 ICH8R chipset board.

    The RHEL 2.6-9 kernel as patched by Red Hat works well with the SATA CD/DVD
    ROM. You can't get all the info out of lm_sensors. If the Dell board has
    Marvell NIC's, then you may have some issues depending on which incarnation
    of the Marvell chip they use. The JMicron controller is blessedly redundant
    on the P5B Deluxe, since it is not supported properly with the RHEL kernel.

    To get proper support for a JMicron you need an advanced 2.6-18 or 2.6-19
    kernel (Fedora should do the trick). If you don't need JMicron then RHEL
    4.4 should so the trick.



    regards,

    mungo
    ------
    The backhoe is the natural predator of the fiber optic cable







  8. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8south-bridge?

    > The RHEL 2.6-9 kernel as patched by Red Hat works well with the SATA CD/DVD
    > ROM. You can't get all the info out of lm_sensors.


    Are you getting anything out of lm-sensors? On my Abit AB9 Pro lm-sensors
    reports everything as 0.

  9. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote in
    news:4usu8pF19e96tU2@mid.individual.net:

    >> The RHEL 2.6-9 kernel as patched by Red Hat works well with the SATA
    >> CD/DVD ROM. You can't get all the info out of lm_sensors.

    >
    > Are you getting anything out of lm-sensors? On my Abit AB9 Pro
    > lm-sensors reports everything as 0.
    >


    7 Voltages, one temperature (CPU) and one fan (also CPU). One other fan
    (chassis?) seems to vanish a few minutes after sensors -s, which means we
    are doing the nasty on the bus and probably shouldn't be doing sensrs at
    all on the box. What we DO get agrees fairly well with the BIOS readout
    when we quickly go to reboot.


    regards,

    mungo
    ------
    The backhoe is the natural predator of the fiber optic cable




  10. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8 south-bridge?


    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > I wasn't able to load the 2.6.19 kernel RPM that Fedora had in their
    > testing repository because of an RPM dependency on initrd. Also when I
    > tried to build 2.6.19.1 using the ,config file from the latest FC 2.6.18.x
    > kernel I got a kernel panic. What I ended up doing was downloading the
    > source for the FC testing version of the 2.6.19.x kernel and using it's
    > .config file as my starting point. Using that .config I was able to build
    > working 2.6.19.1 and 2.6.20rc1 kernels. I'm currently using 2.6.19.1.


    I keep getting kernel panics now that I use the initrdless 2.6.19.1
    kernel
    that I built starting with the .config off the source rpms for FC6.
    Would you mind posting your grub.conf? I'm more accustomed to lilo,
    but that is not an option during FC6 install.
    Thanks!


  11. Re: The g965 northbridge idiosyncrasies


    Mungo wrote:
    > General Schvantzkoph wrote in
    > news:4usu8pF19e96tU2@mid.individual.net:
    >
    > >> The RHEL 2.6-9 kernel as patched by Red Hat works well with the SATA
    > >> CD/DVD ROM. You can't get all the info out of lm_sensors.

    > >
    > > Are you getting anything out of lm-sensors? On my Abit AB9 Pro
    > > lm-sensors reports everything as 0.
    > >

    >
    > 7 Voltages, one temperature (CPU) and one fan (also CPU). One other fan


    No system temperature??? Could no care less about cpu temp,
    it's always under 40C with the ASUS Silentsquare, northbridge on
    the other hand is a different animal altogether.
    Installing Supermicro temp monitoring utility was quite useful:
    looks like there is a 50C cutoff for the northbridge (and that is not
    configurable or shown anywhere on bios setup screens!!!!).
    Considering that I'm routinely get 44-46C (with an aftermarket
    northbridge cooler
    tower!!!!) I'm quite a bit nervous.
    Is there an article anywhere about that 50C cutoff or this is
    Supermicro specific?


  12. Re: Does Red Hat AS4 Update4 support intel P965 chipset and ICH8south-bridge?

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:39:25 -0800, sndive wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> I wasn't able to load the 2.6.19 kernel RPM that Fedora had in their
    >> testing repository because of an RPM dependency on initrd. Also when I
    >> tried to build 2.6.19.1 using the ,config file from the latest FC 2.6.18.x
    >> kernel I got a kernel panic. What I ended up doing was downloading the
    >> source for the FC testing version of the 2.6.19.x kernel and using it's
    >> .config file as my starting point. Using that .config I was able to build
    >> working 2.6.19.1 and 2.6.20rc1 kernels. I'm currently using 2.6.19.1.

    >
    > I keep getting kernel panics now that I use the initrdless 2.6.19.1
    > kernel
    > that I built starting with the .config off the source rpms for FC6.
    > Would you mind posting your grub.conf? I'm more accustomed to lilo,
    > but that is not an option during FC6 install.
    > Thanks!


    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd0,0)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda1
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/sda
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

    title Fedora Core (2.6.19.1)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19.1 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.19.1.img
    title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2868.fc6)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6.img
    title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2849.fc6)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.img

    Here is my procedure for building a kernel,

    1) copy the Redhat .config file into the kernel directory
    2) make gconfig
    3) save from gconfig
    4) make -j 2 all >& kernel.log
    5) make modules_install
    6) make install

    The make install does the grub update, I didn't have to do any hand edits.

+ Reply to Thread