Can you read a Mount Rainier formatted CD/DVD by non compliant drive? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Can you read a Mount Rainier formatted CD/DVD by non compliant drive? - Hardware ; In Windows platform, there is free of charge software for reading such discs available at http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/eng/Suppor..._4_Reader.html But how can you read such discs in Linux, if you don't have a Mount Rainier compliant optical device? -- Homepage http://www.iki.fi/jarno.suni/...

  1. Can you read a Mount Rainier formatted CD/DVD by non compliant drive?

    --
    Homepage http://www.iki.fi/jarno.suni/

  2. Re: Can you read a Mount Rainier formatted CD/DVD by non compliant drive?

    Jarno Suni wrote:

    > In Windows platform, there is free of charge software for reading such
    > discs available at
    > http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/eng/Suppor..._4_Reader.html
    >
    > But how can you read such discs in Linux, if you don't have a Mount
    > Rainier compliant optical device?

    Google is your friend, use it!
    Mount Rainier is hardware based, get a newer drive.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  3. Re: Can you read a Mount Rainier formatted CD/DVD by non compliantdrive?

    joseph2k wrote:
    > Jarno Suni wrote:

    >> But how can you read such discs in Linux, if you don't have a Mount
    >> Rainier compliant optical device?
    >>

    > Google is your friend, use it!
    >
    > Mount Rainier is hardware based, get a newer drive.

    I have a Mount Rainier compliant drive, but are you claiming that all or
    most new CD/DVD drives are Mount Rainier compliant?

    I found in [1] that

    Only Mount Rainier capable drives will be able to write to the Mount
    Rainier formatted discs. Other drives, including legacy CD-RW drives, as
    well as CD-R, CD-ROM, and DVD-ROM drives will be able to read the discs.
    A "defect re-mapping driver" will be needed for these drives, which have
    to be Multiread compliant.

    However, I did not find any "defect re-mapping driver" for Linux by Google.

    Btw. do you know any Linux distribution that includes software to
    MRW-format discs? (There is such a program available separately in
    http://www.thehaus.net/AltOS/Linux/ht-mtrainier.shtml)

    [1] http://www.softarch.com/us/products/...inierfaqs.html

    --
    Homepage http://www.iki.fi/jarno.suni/

  4. Re: Can you read a Mount Rainier formatted CD/DVD by non compliant drive?

    Jarno Suni wrote:

    > joseph2k wrote:
    >> Jarno Suni wrote:

    >>> But how can you read such discs in Linux, if you don't have a Mount
    >>> Rainier compliant optical device?
    >>>

    >> Google is your friend, use it!
    >>
    >> Mount Rainier is hardware based, get a newer drive.

    > I have a Mount Rainier compliant drive, but are you claiming that all or
    > most new CD/DVD drives are Mount Rainier compliant?

    Some to many, not all (at least not yet).

    > I found in [1] that
    >
    > Only Mount Rainier capable drives will be able to write to the Mount
    > Rainier formatted discs. Other drives, including legacy CD-RW drives, as
    > well as CD-R, CD-ROM, and DVD-ROM drives will be able to read the discs.
    > A "defect re-mapping driver" will be needed for these drives, which have
    > to be Multiread compliant.

    All current production drives are "Multiread". If that matters.

    > However, I did not find any "defect re-mapping driver" for Linux by
    > Google.

    The defect remapping is usually done in hardware, OS independent. (No
    specific drivers should be involved)

    > Btw. do you know any Linux distribution that includes software to
    > MRW-format discs? (There is such a program available separately in
    > http://www.thehaus.net/AltOS/Linux/ht-mtrainier.shtml)
    >
    > [1] http://www.softarch.com/us/products/...inierfaqs.html

    I will presume that you read the first two paragraphs.

    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**
    --Schiller

+ Reply to Thread