Boot IBM X366 Xeon Server via USB thumb drive - Hardware

This is a discussion on Boot IBM X366 Xeon Server via USB thumb drive - Hardware ; I have been, agonizing in vain, trying to boot an IBM X366 Xeon server via a USB thumb Drive. I have tried : Knoppix SLAX Scientific Linux Puppy Linux I have tried the following USB sized sticks : 2GB 1GB ...

  1. Boot IBM X366 Xeon Server via USB thumb drive

    I have been, agonizing in vain, trying to boot an IBM X366 Xeon server
    via a USB thumb Drive.

    I have tried :

    Knoppix
    SLAX
    Scientific Linux
    Puppy Linux

    I have tried the following USB sized sticks :

    2GB
    1GB
    512MB

    My laptop can boot off of all of these no problem. But the IBM server
    does not. All I get on the screen is

    Has anyone been able to get this to work. I would like this to be a
    means to rescue quickly our Linux Servers.

    Thanks in advance,
    Scott

  2. Re: Boot IBM X366 Xeon Server via USB thumb drive

    scott.gruber@comcast.net wrote:

    > My laptop can boot off of all of these no problem. But the IBM server
    > does not.

    It's quite possible that the IBM server's BIOS does not support booting
    off USB. Have you checked the docs from IBM to be sure that what you're
    attempting is even possible?

  3. Re: Boot IBM X366 Xeon Server via USB thumb drive

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > scott.gruber@comcast.net wrote:
    > >
    > > My laptop can boot off of all of these no problem. But the IBM server
    > > does not.

    > It's quite possible that the IBM server's BIOS does not support booting
    > off USB. Have you checked the docs from IBM to be sure that what you're
    > attempting is even possible?

    When the system boots up I hit 'F12' after I insert the USB stick and
    it shows USB on the list as bottable options

    I called IBM but they said they heard that it was possible but offer no
    support

  4. Re: Boot IBM X366 Xeon Server via USB thumb drive

    Sometimes posts have a way of getting buried - anyone have any success
    in booting an IBM X366 off USB stick ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Scott

  5. Re: Boot IBM X366 Xeon Server via USB thumb drive

    scott.gruber@comcast.net wrote:
    > Sometimes posts have a way of getting buried - anyone have any success
    > in booting an IBM X366 off USB stick ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Scott

    I also tried SystemRescueCD to no avail