What DDR to choose? - Hardware

This is a discussion on What DDR to choose? - Hardware ; Hello I have to buy some 1G DDR400 memory modules and I am at a loss what to choose. There are so many: Corsiar Patriot Transcend Kingston Kingmax Supertalent Samsung etc etc etec .... Are they all the same? which ...

  1. What DDR to choose?

    Hello

    I have to buy some 1G DDR400 memory modules
    and I am at a loss what to choose.
    There are so many: Corsiar Patriot Transcend Kingston Kingmax Supertalent
    Samsung etc etc etec ....

    Are they all the same?
    which is more reliable ?

    Thank you for your advice

    Serge

  2. Re: What DDR to choose?

    On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 08:35:53 +0300, serge wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have to buy some 1G DDR400 memory modules
    > and I am at a loss what to choose.
    > There are so many: Corsiar Patriot Transcend Kingston Kingmax Supertalent
    > Samsung etc etc etec ....
    >
    > Are they all the same?
    > which is more reliable ?
    >
    > Thank you for your advice
    >
    > Serge

    Newegg has a lot of customer reviews for each type, I'd look there if I
    were you.

  3. Re: What DDR to choose?

    serge wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have to buy some 1G DDR400 memory modules
    > and I am at a loss what to choose.
    > There are so many: Corsiar Patriot Transcend Kingston Kingmax Supertalent
    > Samsung etc etc etec ....
    >
    > Are they all the same?
    > which is more reliable ?

    ecc memory in combination with a mobo that supports it obviously.
    I'm very happy with kingston 1g ecc unbuffered 667 kits. I have 4 512mb
    sticks and
    they worked very well so far.
    Too bad I got a g965 instead of x975 board. I want a g975x board with
    ecc support and X3000
    bundled together.

  4. Re: What DDR to choose?

    On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:48:07 -0800, sndive wrote:

    > ecc memory in combination with a mobo that supports it obviously.
    > I'm very happy with kingston 1g ecc unbuffered 667 kits. I have 4 512mb
    > sticks and
    > they worked very well so far.
    > Too bad I got a g965 instead of x975 board. I want a g975x board with
    > ecc support and X3000
    > bundled together.

    My experience is exactly the opposite. I have two systems, one with 2GB
    registered ECC and the other with 2GB regular unbuffered memory. Not only
    is the second system faster (as ECC slows memory access down), but the ECC
    system is giving me EDAC errors every few seconds.

    --
    Vladimir

  5. Re: What DDR to choose?

    On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:35:53 +0300, "serge"
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I have to buy some 1G DDR400 memory modules
    >and I am at a loss what to choose.
    >There are so many: Corsiar Patriot Transcend Kingston Kingmax Supertalent
    >Samsung etc etc etec ....
    >
    >Are they all the same?
    >which is more reliable ?
    >
    >Thank you for your advice
    >
    >Serge

    I am very pleased with this. It is the cheapest CAS3 found. It has
    heat spreaders and is popluated on both sides.

    20-178-090 MEM 512Mx2|PNY DII667 D21GX53GMR R $149.99

    That's from newegg.
    --
    buck

  6. Re: What DDR to choose?

    Vladimir Florinski wrote:
    > My experience is exactly the opposite. I have two systems, one with 2GB
    > registered ECC and the other with 2GB regular unbuffered memory. Not only
    > is the second system faster (as ECC slows memory access down), but the ECC
    > system is giving me EDAC errors every few seconds.

    So on your ECC system you know that you have a broken RAM but on your
    non-ECC system you don't know if you have any broken RAM.

    If your EDAC errors are single bit errors (CE) your system is able to
    correct the errors and continue. It the errors are more than one bit (UE)
    the contents in your RAM is corrupted. In either case you should
    investigate which DIMM to replace. If you are lucky it might be enough to
    only reseat the DIMM.

    On your non ECC system it doesn't matter if you get single or multiple bit
    errors. Your system will not be able to tell you and the only way you will
    be able to notice is if you get more or less random segfaults, crashes or
    hangs. If so you might be able to locate the broken DIMM by using a memory
    tester like memtest86.

    In any system used for serious work the extra price for ECC memory is a
    cheap price to avoid downtime and lost work because of crashes.

    regards Henrik
    hc8(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@variousus.net root@localhost

+ Reply to Thread