KVM Switch Choices - Hardware

This is a discussion on KVM Switch Choices - Hardware ; Which KVM switch should I buy? Issue 1: My mice compatible with USB or PS2, the mouse cable is USB and the computer connection on the computers is PS2. There is a adapter in the cable. Which kind of switch ...

  1. KVM Switch Choices

    Which KVM switch should I buy?

    Issue 1:
    My mice compatible with USB or PS2, the mouse cable is
    USB and the computer connection on the computers is PS2.
    There is a adapter in the cable. Which kind of switch do
    I buy?

    Issue 2:
    At amazon.com, I see a D-Link DKVM-2K 2-Port KMV switch.
    The blurb says "hot keys and push buttons". This means
    there will be buttons on the device to allow switching.
    Right? (Old experience indicated sluggish and unreliable
    response with hot keys.)

    Thanks for your advice.

    Mike.

  2. Re: KVM Switch Choices

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:09:40 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    > Which KVM switch should I buy?
    >
    > Issue 1:
    > My mice compatible with USB or PS2, the mouse cable is
    > USB and the computer connection on the computers is PS2.
    > There is a adapter in the cable. Which kind of switch do
    > I buy?
    >
    > Issue 2:
    > At amazon.com, I see a D-Link DKVM-2K 2-Port KMV switch.
    > The blurb says "hot keys and push buttons". This means
    > there will be buttons on the device to allow switching.
    > Right? (Old experience indicated sluggish and unreliable
    > response with hot keys.)
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Mike.

    FWIW - I've had consistently good results with cheap I/O Gear KVMs - they
    come with built in cables which can be extra on other brands - highly
    recommended. They generally switch with a double hit on 'scroll lock' key.
    I've only used ps2 connectors.

  3. Re: KVM Switch Choices

    Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    > Which KVM switch should I buy?
    >
    > Issue 1:
    > My mice compatible with USB or PS2, the mouse cable is
    > USB and the computer connection on the computers is PS2.
    > There is a adapter in the cable. Which kind of switch do
    > I buy?

    You need to convert the mouse to PS2 and use a switch that handles PS2.
    I think the mouse actually autodetects whether it's supposed to be USB
    or PS2 and adjusts its signalling, I don't think the adapter actually
    contains a USB<>PS2 converter although I've never explicitly tested this
    theory.

    > Issue 2:
    > At amazon.com, I see a D-Link DKVM-2K 2-Port KMV switch.
    > The blurb says "hot keys and push buttons". This means
    > there will be buttons on the device to allow switching.
    > Right? (Old experience indicated sluggish and unreliable
    > response with hot keys.)

    I've got an Adderview Gem and it's very reliable with hotkeys. I also
    have an Edimax KVM and that's a lot less reliable.
    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)

  4. Re: KVM Switch Choices

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:27:23 +0000, Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:

    [...]
    > I've got an Adderview Gem and it's very reliable with hotkeys. I also
    > have an Edimax KVM and that's a lot less reliable.

    Thanks for this info. I looked at the AdderView web site and it
    looks excellent -- except for the price -- ouch!

    Mike.

  5. Re: KVM Switch Choices

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:26:06 -0700, ray wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:09:40 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    [...]
    > FWIW - I've had consistently good results with cheap I/O Gear KVMs - they
    > come with built in cables which can be extra on other brands - highly
    > recommended. They generally switch with a double hit on 'scroll lock' key.
    > I've only used ps2 connectors.

    Can you recommend a model number?
    Thanks,
    Mike.

  6. Re: KVM Switch Choices

    Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:27:23 +0000, Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >> I've got an Adderview Gem and it's very reliable with hotkeys. I also
    >> have an Edimax KVM and that's a lot less reliable.

    > Thanks for this info. I looked at the AdderView web site and it
    > looks excellent -- except for the price -- ouch!

    That's what I thought when I went back with a view to acquiring a second
    one (hence the Edimax experience). I must have bought the first one when
    KVMs were still generall expensive because I don't know why I would have
    done so otherwise. Mine's (both of them, actually) a 4-port model, FWIW.

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)
    http://www.llondel.org
    So many gadgets, so little time

  7. Re: KVM Switch Choices

    Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    > Which KVM switch should I buy?
    >
    > Issue 1:
    > My mice compatible with USB or PS2, the mouse cable is
    > USB and the computer connection on the computers is PS2.
    > There is a adapter in the cable. Which kind of switch do
    > I buy?

    Normally such a USB mouse would come with the USB->PS/2 adapter
    that fits on the end. They're pretty easy to get... I know I've
    collected a ton of them through the years.

    > Issue 2:
    > At amazon.com, I see a D-Link DKVM-2K 2-Port KMV switch.
    > The blurb says "hot keys and push buttons". This means
    > there will be buttons on the device to allow switching.
    > Right? (Old experience indicated sluggish and unreliable
    > response with hot keys.)

    I have used everything from Belkin to IOGear to Blackbox to higher end
    Avocents and Raritans... most of the difficulties ARE NOT
    due to the KVM switch, but with regards to driver handling
    of out of sync data. There are supposedly some that keep
    a "live" signal to each mouse, but because of protocol
    differences, this is not a great solution. Basically
    it has to be handled at the driver level.

    On linux I recommend adding psmouse.resetafter=1 on
    your boot line. After you switch on the KVM, hit a mouse
    button to force a bad sync and a reset. Windows does
    ok with resyncing, however, when it doesn't recover, you
    pretty much lose the mouse until you reboot (feel free
    to recommend a solution). Also you may need to stop
    probing of the higher level mouse protocol levels.. for example,
    I use psmouse.proto=imps a lot on my boot lines. In
    a datacenter situation, you might be able to dumb it all
    the way down to "bare" or something like that if all you need
    is ps2 without a wheel.... in general, that will also
    eliminate most of the syncing issues.

  8. Re: KVM Switch Choices

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:09:40 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote this:

    > Which KVM switch should I buy?
    >
    > Issue 1:
    > My mice compatible with USB or PS2, the mouse cable is USB and the
    > computer connection on the computers is PS2. There is a adapter in the
    > cable. Which kind of switch do I buy?
    >
    > Issue 2:
    > At amazon.com, I see a D-Link DKVM-2K 2-Port KMV switch. The blurb
    > says "hot keys and push buttons". This means there will be buttons on
    > the device to allow switching. Right? (Old experience indicated
    > sluggish and unreliable response with hot keys.)
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Mike.

    I have the AirLink AKVm-2A 2-port PS/2 with audio. I can listen to audio
    on PC A while working on PC B but I use still use both USB mice instead
    of a single USB-PS2 converter on the KVM.

    OTH, PS/2 to USB converters for the keyboard might work with an all USB
    KVM.

  9. Re: KVM Switch Choices

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:40:22 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:26:06 -0700, ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:09:40 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    > [...]
    >> FWIW - I've had consistently good results with cheap I/O Gear KVMs - they
    >> come with built in cables which can be extra on other brands - highly
    >> recommended. They generally switch with a double hit on 'scroll lock' key.
    >> I've only used ps2 connectors.

    > Can you recommend a model number?
    > Thanks,
    > Mike.

    I have a GCS62 and a GCS612A (also switches audio).

+ Reply to Thread