Core 2 Duo Answers - Hardware

This is a discussion on Core 2 Duo Answers - Hardware ; OK, following on from the "Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question", I now have some answers. I ended up with an Abit AB9 Pro motherboard with a Core 2 Duo 6600 and 2GB RAM. Optical drive is a LiteOn ...

  1. Core 2 Duo Answers

    OK, following on from the "Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question",
    I now have some answers.

    I ended up with an Abit AB9 Pro motherboard with a Core 2 Duo 6600 and
    2GB RAM. Optical drive is a LiteOn DVDRW 165S65 (SATA DVD drive) and a
    Maxtor 7V250F0 SATA hard drive. I wired the hard drive to SATA1 and the
    DVD to SATA3, both on the Intel chip (leaving the JMicron and SIL ports
    alone).

    The initial attempt worked fine up for a bit, at which point it asked
    for a CDROM driver. I tweaked the BIOS, on the Integrated Peripherals
    page, OnChip IDE SATA mode set to AHCI (it had been on IDE, RAID is the
    third option). Once I'd done this I successfully put FC5 on from DVD.

    I had to go get the Realtek ethernet driver from their site, transfer it
    to the machine with a memory stick and compile it, but after that the
    network was fine.

    The final gotcha is when I tried booting from DVD again (having found my
    FC6 disk), where it refused to even attempt to boot from the DVD in the
    presence of a bootable hard disk. I'm not sure if the initial success
    was just luck or whether a totally unbootable disk is passed over and
    the "boot other devices" came into play. More fiddling with BIOS
    settings and I discovered that P2-LITE-ON DVR was an option so I tried
    that and sure enough, it booted and let me install FC6. I had to repeat
    the ethernet thing (and again when the kernel changed, roll on built-in
    support) but apart from that it's up and running.

    I also had to mess around with the X server config with the nVidia
    drivers but that may just be my system, it was getting duff EDID
    information and rejecting all the video modes as invalid.

    As regards the JMicron support, it's correctly recognised the IDE Zip
    drive I had in the box and connected up, so I assume that's working fine.

    I would guess that this procedure would work with pretty much any of the
    i965 chipset boards but you're on your own :-)
    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)

  2. Re: Core 2 Duo Answers

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:03:14 +0000, Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:

    > OK, following on from the "Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question",
    > I now have some answers.
    >
    > I ended up with an Abit AB9 Pro motherboard with a Core 2 Duo 6600 and
    > 2GB RAM. Optical drive is a LiteOn DVDRW 165S65 (SATA DVD drive) and a
    > Maxtor 7V250F0 SATA hard drive. I wired the hard drive to SATA1 and the
    > DVD to SATA3, both on the Intel chip (leaving the JMicron and SIL ports
    > alone).
    >
    > The initial attempt worked fine up for a bit, at which point it asked
    > for a CDROM driver. I tweaked the BIOS, on the Integrated Peripherals
    > page, OnChip IDE SATA mode set to AHCI (it had been on IDE, RAID is the
    > third option). Once I'd done this I successfully put FC5 on from DVD.
    >
    > I had to go get the Realtek ethernet driver from their site, transfer it
    > to the machine with a memory stick and compile it, but after that the
    > network was fine.
    >
    > The final gotcha is when I tried booting from DVD again (having found my
    > FC6 disk), where it refused to even attempt to boot from the DVD in the
    > presence of a bootable hard disk. I'm not sure if the initial success
    > was just luck or whether a totally unbootable disk is passed over and
    > the "boot other devices" came into play. More fiddling with BIOS
    > settings and I discovered that P2-LITE-ON DVR was an option so I tried
    > that and sure enough, it booted and let me install FC6. I had to repeat
    > the ethernet thing (and again when the kernel changed, roll on built-in
    > support) but apart from that it's up and running.
    >
    > I also had to mess around with the X server config with the nVidia
    > drivers but that may just be my system, it was getting duff EDID
    > information and rejecting all the video modes as invalid.
    >
    > As regards the JMicron support, it's correctly recognised the IDE Zip
    > drive I had in the box and connected up, so I assume that's working fine.
    >
    > I would guess that this procedure would work with pretty much any of the
    > i965 chipset boards but you're on your own :-)

    do you have any benchmark numbers / compile times for this new
    setup. Wondering how this setup compares to my amd 4600+ cpu...

    jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  3. Re: Core 2 Duo Answers

    Jack Snodgrass wrote:

    > do you have any benchmark numbers / compile times for this new
    > setup. Wondering how this setup compares to my amd 4600+ cpu...

    The only number I've got so far is the fairly meaningless BogoMIPS,
    which scored 4800 compared to the 4000 on my Athlon boxes. Given that
    they're clocked at 2GHz and the Core 2 Duo at 2400, that's a
    proportional increase. I only had it running last night...

    I would expect things to improve simply because of the 4MB cache
    compared to 512KB, and the presence of two processors, but then that's
    why I bought it :-)

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)
    http://www.llondel.org
    So many gadgets, so little time

  4. Re: Core 2 Duo Answers

    Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    > Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    > >
    > > do you have any benchmark numbers / compile times for this new
    > > setup. Wondering how this setup compares to my amd 4600+ cpu...
    > >

    > The only number I've got so far is the fairly meaningless BogoMIPS,
    > which scored 4800 compared to the 4000 on my Athlon boxes. Given that
    > they're clocked at 2GHz and the Core 2 Duo at 2400, that's a
    > proportional increase. I only had it running last night...
    >
    > I would expect things to improve simply because of the 4MB cache
    > compared to 512KB, and the presence of two processors, but then that's
    > why I bought it :-)

    What does hdparm -t /dev/sda
    reports for the hdd ?

    Mine is slooooooow. I'm considering installing Win XP on it and getting
    some sort
    of a pata controller for the legacy drives to run linux on.
    I can get SIIG pata controller at a local store for about $40. Is that
    a good deal in the US?

  5. Re: Core 2 Duo Answers

    sndive@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    >> Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    >>> do you have any benchmark numbers / compile times for this new
    >>> setup. Wondering how this setup compares to my amd 4600+ cpu...
    >>>

    >> The only number I've got so far is the fairly meaningless BogoMIPS,
    >> which scored 4800 compared to the 4000 on my Athlon boxes. Given that
    >> they're clocked at 2GHz and the Core 2 Duo at 2400, that's a
    >> proportional increase. I only had it running last night...
    >>
    >> I would expect things to improve simply because of the 4MB cache
    >> compared to 512KB, and the presence of two processors, but then that's
    >> why I bought it :-)
    >>

    > What does hdparm -t /dev/sda
    > reports for the hdd ?

    Somewhere around 66MB/s, allowing for the fact that the machine has all
    sort of things running at the moment (although not actively hitting the
    disk). Both hard drives report about the same number.

    > Mine is slooooooow. I'm considering installing Win XP on it and getting
    > some sort
    > of a pata controller for the legacy drives to run linux on.
    > I can get SIIG pata controller at a local store for about $40. Is that
    > a good deal in the US?

    I reckon that once it got to the stage of copying files from the DVD,
    that's the fastest Linux-with-features install I've ever done, so I
    guess it's faster than the old machines :-)

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)
    http://www.llondel.org
    So many gadgets, so little time

  6. Re: Core 2 Duo Answers

    Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    > sndive@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    > >>>
    > >> The only number I've got so far is the fairly meaningless BogoMIPS,
    > >> which scored 4800 compared to the 4000 on my Athlon boxes. Given that
    > >> they're clocked at 2GHz and the Core 2 Duo at 2400, that's a
    > >> proportional increase. I only had it running last night...
    > >>
    > >> I would expect things to improve simply because of the 4MB cache
    > >> compared to 512KB, and the presence of two processors, but then that's
    > >> why I bought it :-)
    > >>

    > > What does hdparm -t /dev/sda
    > > reports for the hdd ?
    > >

    > Somewhere around 66MB/s, allowing for the fact that the machine has all
    > sort of things running at the moment (although not actively hitting the
    > disk). Both hard drives report about the same number.
    >
    > > Mine is slooooooow. I'm considering installing Win XP on it and getting
    > > some sort
    > > of a pata controller for the legacy drives to run linux on.
    > > I can get SIIG pata controller at a local store for about $40. Is that
    > > a good deal in the US?
    > >

    > I reckon that once it got to the stage of copying files from the DVD,
    > that's the fastest Linux-with-features install I've ever done, so I
    > guess it's faster than the old machines :-)

    what does uname -a reports? You use the kernel that come with FC6,
    right?

    Could you check if you have any lines for ICH7 or ICH8 in the dmesg
    output?

    I need to do something about the sucky sata disk performance on my g965
    based system.

  7. Re: Core 2 Duo Answers

    sndive@gmail.com wrote:

    > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    >> Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    >> >
    >> > do you have any benchmark numbers / compile times for this new
    >> > setup. Wondering how this setup compares to my amd 4600+ cpu...
    >> >

    >> The only number I've got so far is the fairly meaningless BogoMIPS,
    >> which scored 4800 compared to the 4000 on my Athlon boxes. Given that
    >> they're clocked at 2GHz and the Core 2 Duo at 2400, that's a
    >> proportional increase. I only had it running last night...
    >>
    >> I would expect things to improve simply because of the 4MB cache
    >> compared to 512KB, and the presence of two processors, but then that's
    >> why I bought it :-)
    >>

    > What does hdparm -t /dev/sda
    > reports for the hdd ?

    hydrogen:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

    /dev/sda:
    Timing cached reads: 4780 MB in 2.00 seconds = 2390.83 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 226 MB in 3.03 seconds = 74.58 MB/sec
    hydrogen:~#

    dmesg output at http://ducttape.dyndns.dk/dmesg.out

    Disk performance is flaky, and quite slow when multitasking.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

  8. Re: Core 2 Duo Answers

    sndive@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    >> sndive@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> What does hdparm -t /dev/sda
    >>> reports for the hdd ?
    >>>

    >> Somewhere around 66MB/s, allowing for the fact that the machine has all
    >> sort of things running at the moment (although not actively hitting the
    >> disk). Both hard drives report about the same number.
    >>
    >>> Mine is slooooooow. I'm considering installing Win XP on it and getting
    >>> some sort
    >>> of a pata controller for the legacy drives to run linux on.
    >>> I can get SIIG pata controller at a local store for about $40. Is that
    >>> a good deal in the US?
    >>>

    >> I reckon that once it got to the stage of copying files from the DVD,
    >> that's the fastest Linux-with-features install I've ever done, so I
    >> guess it's faster than the old machines :-)
    >>

    > what does uname -a reports? You use the kernel that come with FC6,
    > right?

    Linux mnementh-new 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 #1 SMP Fri Nov 10 12:45:28 EST 2006
    i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    It's what you get after an install+update to latest.

    > Could you check if you have any lines for ICH7 or ICH8 in the dmesg
    > output?
    >
    > I need to do something about the sucky sata disk performance on my g965
    > based system.

    Mine has an option for the SATA stuff to emulate IDE (which wouldn't
    install), RAID or AHCI (which is what I use). See if you've got yours on
    IDE instead...

    Here's some relevant bits of dmesg relating to the disk initialisation:

    SCSI subsystem initialized
    libata version 2.00 loaded.
    ahci 0000:00:1f.2: version 2.0
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.2[B] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 185
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.2 to 64
    ahci 0000:00:1f.2: AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 6 ports 3 Gbps 0x3f impl SATA
    mode
    ahci 0000:00:1f.2: flags: 64bit ncq led clo pio slum part
    ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xF883E100 ctl 0x0 bmdma 0x0 irq 82
    ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xF883E180 ctl 0x0 bmdma 0x0 irq 82
    ata3: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xF883E200 ctl 0x0 bmdma 0x0 irq 82
    ata4: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xF883E280 ctl 0x0 bmdma 0x0 irq 82
    ata5: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xF883E300 ctl 0x0 bmdma 0x0 irq 82
    ata6: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xF883E380 ctl 0x0 bmdma 0x0 irq 82
    scsi0 : ahci
    ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
    ata1.00: ATA-7, max UDMA/133, 490234752 sectors: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32)
    ata1.00: ata1: dev 0 multi count 0
    ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133

    On a totally different subject, I also spotted what looks like a feature
    of the Realtek ethernet driver:

    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 177
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:03:00.0 to 64
    eth0: Identified chip type is 'RTL8168B/8111B'.
    eth0: r10001.05, the Linux device driver for Realtek Ethernet
    Controllers at 0xde00, 00:50:8d:93:fd:60, IRQ 17
    7
    Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter
    Driver version:1.05
    Released date:2006/10/25
    Link Status:Linked
    Link Speed:100Mbps
    Duplex mode:Full-Duplex
    I/O Base:0xDE00(I/O port)
    IRQ:177
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 169
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64
    eth1: Identified chip type is 'RTL8168B/8111B'.
    eth1: r10001.05, the Linux device driver for Realtek Ethernet
    Controllers at 0xae00, 00:50:8d:93:fd:61, IRQ 16
    9
    BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#1!
    [] dump_trace+0x69/0x1af
    [] show_trace_log_lvl+0x18/0x2c
    [] show_trace+0xf/0x11
    [] dump_stack+0x15/0x17
    [] softlockup_tick+0xad/0xc4
    [] update_process_times+0x39/0x5c
    [] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x5c/0x64
    [] apic_timer_interrupt+0x1f/0x24
    DWARF2 unwinder stuck at apic_timer_interrupt+0x1f/0x24
    Leftover inexact backtrace:
    [] delay_tsc+0xb/0x13
    [] __delay+0x6/0x7
    [] R1000_READ_GMII_REG+0x1d/0x3f [r1000]
    [] r1000_set_medium+0x164/0x17b [r1000]
    [] r1000_init_one+0x84a/0x964 [r1000]
    [] __driver_attach+0x0/0x8f
    [] pci_device_probe+0x36/0x57
    [] driver_probe_device+0x45/0x9a
    [] __driver_attach+0x65/0x8f
    [] bus_for_each_dev+0x37/0x59
    [] driver_attach+0x16/0x18
    [] __driver_attach+0x0/0x8f
    [] bus_add_driver+0x6f/0x10d
    [] __pci_register_driver+0x49/0x63
    [] sys_init_module+0x17de/0x1977
    [] vfs_read+0xa6/0x157
    [] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
    =======================
    Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter
    Driver version:1.05
    Released date:2006/10/25
    Link Status:Not Linked
    I/O Base:0xAE00(I/O port)
    IRQ:169
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI
    USB Serial Device

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)
    http://www.llondel.org
    So many gadgets, so little time

  9. Re: Core 2 Duo Answers

    sndive@gmail.com wrote:
    > What does hdparm -t /dev/sda
    > reports for the hdd ?

    # hdparm -t /dev/sda

    /dev/sda:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 186 MB in 3.02 seconds = 61.55 MB/sec

    Intel DG965WH motherboard, Core 2 Duo E6600, ICH8R controller in AHCI
    mode, Western Digital CaviarSE drive with acoustic management enabled.
    Fedora Core 6 x86_64.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi