Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse? - Hardware ; On the box on which I run Apache and a few other daemons, I virtually never use the monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain the box over ssh. Is there any reason I have to keep these peripherals plugged in ...

  1. Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    On the box on which I run Apache and a few
    other daemons, I virtually never use the
    monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain
    the box over ssh. Is there any reason I
    have to keep these peripherals plugged in
    to the box?

    Thanks for your help.
    Mike.

  2. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 08:56:27 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED said:

    > On the box on which I run Apache and a few other daemons, I
    > virtually never use the monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain the
    > box over ssh. Is there any reason I have to keep these peripherals
    > plugged in to the box?

    No. None of my servers ever have a mouse plugged into them. For
    keyboard and monitor, they are rarely plugged in. I plug and unplug
    them as necessary, with the box up and booted. I also use a cheap,
    mechanical KVM switch for the boxes that I most frequently need
    console access to.

    --
    Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
    "Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,

  3. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 14:01:21 +0000, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 08:56:27 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED said:
    >
    >> On the box on which I run Apache and a few other daemons, I
    >> virtually never use the monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain the
    >> box over ssh. Is there any reason I have to keep these peripherals
    >> plugged in to the box?

    > No. None of my servers ever have a mouse plugged into them. For
    > keyboard and monitor, they are rarely plugged in. I plug and unplug
    > them as necessary, with the box up and booted. I also use a cheap,
    > mechanical KVM switch for the boxes that I most frequently need
    > console access to.

    Can you recommend a particular cheap mechanical KVM switch
    and mention how much it cost? I looked for a KVM switch
    at Best Buy yesterday, and the cheapest I saw was about
    60 USD.

    Thanks,
    Mike.

  4. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:09:07 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED said:

    > Can you recommend a particular cheap mechanical KVM switch and
    > mention how much it cost? I looked for a KVM switch at Best Buy
    > yesterday, and the cheapest I saw was about 60 USD.

    Sorry - it's at work, and anyway I can't remember it having much in
    the way of identifying markings.

    It does, however look very similar to this one:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130052172339

    --
    Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
    "Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
    but rather when there is nothing left to take away."
    -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  5. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:56:27 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED
    wrote:

    > On the box on which I run Apache and a few
    > other daemons, I virtually never use the
    > monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain
    > the box over ssh. Is there any reason I
    > have to keep these peripherals plugged in
    > to the box?

    It depends. Server type motherboards usually have the option to ignore keyboard
    errors on boot (i.e. not present) but cheaper, non-server motherboards often
    don't and they stop and wait for someone to press F1 to continue.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  6. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    In comp.os.linux.hardware Mike - EMAIL IGNORED :
    > On the box on which I run Apache and a few
    > other daemons, I virtually never use the
    > monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain
    > the box over ssh. Is there any reason I
    > have to keep these peripherals plugged in
    > to the box?

    Not at all, though some mobos will not boot without keyboard,
    some allow to set this in BIOS (halt on all errors - off) or so.
    You have to check yours.

    You might want to look into the serial howto, to setup some
    serial cable allowing to see the boot process and enter something
    right from the boot prompt (lilo/grub). Later you can login or
    boot to single usermod.

    Server class mobo should have a complete BIOS redirection over
    serial/lan to install/run completely headless.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 177: sticktion

  7. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    wrote:
    >On the box on which I run Apache and a few
    >other daemons, I virtually never use the
    >monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain
    >the box over ssh. Is there any reason I
    >have to keep these peripherals plugged in
    >to the box?

    No. I have two boxes, a print server and a PDP-11 emulator, both
    linux-based, that only have the network connected, all maintenance
    being done via telnet/ssh or whatever. In fact the print server
    doesn't even have a video card installed.

    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

    The future was never like this!

  8. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    , Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    >On the box on which I run Apache and a few
    >other daemons, I virtually never use the
    >monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain
    >the box over ssh. Is there any reason I
    >have to keep these peripherals plugged in
    >to the box?

    Keep them plugged in? No. My firewall is what is left of a 386SX-16
    laptop, and is lacking not only the case, but also the display and
    keyboard. It's also admin'ed over the LAN. The file and print servers
    have a KVM switch to allow a single monitor and keyboard to control four
    systems. They also are generally admin'ed over the LAN.

    One reason to retain the _capability_ to log in "locally" is in the rare
    instance when networking goes down. For this, all of the headless stuff is
    also configured for remote serial console. See the HOWTO:

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 287028 Mar 31 2003 Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO

    which is supplied with your distribution, and is available on any LDP mirror.
    Again, in the interest of economy, there are "A/B/C/D" serial port switches
    used to multiplex the serial ports to a single workstation running minicom.

    Note that you may need to tweak the BIOS settings on the server[s], so that
    the BIOS boot doesn't fail because of the lack of a keyboard and/or display.

    Old guy

  9. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:50:55 -0600, Trevor Hemsley
    wrote:

    >It depends. Server type motherboards usually have the option to ignore keyboard
    >errors on boot (i.e. not present) but cheaper, non-server motherboards often
    >don't and they stop and wait for someone to press F1 to continue.

    This is usually settable in the bios, I've not seen one without that option
    since the old 386 days.

    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com
    (Remove any digits from the addresses when mailing me.)

    The future was never like this!

  10. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Stan Barr wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:50:55 -0600, Trevor Hemsley
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> It depends. Server type motherboards usually have the option to ignore keyboard
    >> errors on boot (i.e. not present) but cheaper, non-server motherboards often
    >> don't and they stop and wait for someone to press F1 to continue.

    > This is usually settable in the bios, I've not seen one without that option
    > since the old 386 days.

    I love that message:
    "Keyboard not found, press F1 to continue"
    F1 -- where's that? On the keyboard that has not been detected?

  11. Re: Do I need monitor, keyboard, mouse?

    Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    > On the box on which I run Apache and a few
    > other daemons, I virtually never use the
    > monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I maintain
    > the box over ssh. Is there any reason I
    > have to keep these peripherals plugged in
    > to the box?

    Most servers will boot without a keyboard.
    Some workstations my require a bios patch to
    allow a reboot without interaction (keyboard).

    You want to have a console. But, in Linux,
    the console can be serial. I prefer this solution
    just because of the reduced cabling requirements
    and you can use serial console devices like
    Avocent/Cyclades to centralize your serial
    consoles and allow them to be accessed over
    the network and via out-of-band connectivity (e.g.
    modem).

    If it's just one or a few servers, you can
    get a 1U KVM drawer for a rack... doesn't take
    up much room... I don't like these if there's
    a huge number of servers though.

    Back to serial, on the cheap you can have one
    server serve as the serial console for another
    server, etc. The console is important because
    you may have to make BIOS tweaks or bootup
    changes (e.g. grub) now and then. Most good
    servers will allow you to redirect the BIOS
    out the serial port.... might just be stuck
    in that regard if using a workstation/desktop
    machine.

    > Thanks for your help.
    > Mike.

+ Reply to Thread