notebook with flash drive for fast boot or fast sleep/restore? - Hardware

This is a discussion on notebook with flash drive for fast boot or fast sleep/restore? - Hardware ; A 4GB flash drive costs around $100 these days. This should be plenty of space to install a linux OS. hopefully, modern notebook computers (many of which have these slots) can boot from them. has anyone tried this? could this ...

  1. notebook with flash drive for fast boot or fast sleep/restore?

    A 4GB flash drive costs around $100 these days. This should be plenty
    of space to install a linux OS.

    hopefully, modern notebook computers (many of which have these slots)
    can boot from them.

    has anyone tried this? could this be getting me linux boot times or
    sleep/restart times in <5 seconds?

    /iaw

  2. Re: notebook with flash drive for fast boot or fast sleep/restore? : shameless plug for pavillion dv1xxx

    ivowel@gmail.com wrote:
    > A 4GB flash drive costs around $100 these days. This should be plenty
    > of space to install a linux OS.
    >
    > hopefully, modern notebook computers (many of which have these slots)
    > can boot from them.
    >
    > has anyone tried this? could this be getting me linux boot times or
    > sleep/restart times in <5 seconds?

    I've got hp pavillion dv1310us for $725 online but prices went up a bit
    since then
    since dv1xxx was discontinued and the inventories are getting low.
    That's a Celeron machine and the only reason I got it is to penalize
    HP for the glare screen. Would have gotten dv1650us for $1200
    otherwise.
    The system works incredibly well with XP with fast save/restores.
    Way better than any other laptops I had my hands on lately.
    Linux should be no problem since tomshardware reviewed dv1000 machine
    specifically with Linux and review was very positive. I just have no
    use for Linux
    on laptop so I don't have first hand experience with it on that
    hardware.
    I'd guess multimedia buttons won't work and possibly the modem.
    I have problems with some acpi modules on desktop with FC6 and expect
    that to carry over on the laptop as well. One more reason to keep XP
    until
    it causes any problems. There are quite a few slots for memory cards
    on that box but I don't know how to use them for suspend/resume.

    I don't work and never worked for HP directly.

+ Reply to Thread