Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1 - Hardware

This is a discussion on Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1 - Hardware ; Hello, Could anyone please help me out in the following problem? Hardware: * IBM laptop Thinkpad T30 Type 2366-B1U S/N 78-HFTB9 08/02 * Cisco PCMCIA card Aironet 340 11 Mbps 2.4GHz DS System software: * dual boot machine Windows XP ...

  1. Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    Hello,

    Could anyone please help me out in the following problem?

    Hardware:

    * IBM laptop Thinkpad T30 Type 2366-B1U S/N 78-HFTB9 08/02

    * Cisco PCMCIA card Aironet 340 11 Mbps 2.4GHz DS

    System software:

    * dual boot machine Windows XP and Linux

    * Suse Linux 10.1, 'uname -rv' says '2.6.16.21-0.25-default #1 Tue Sep
    19 07:26:15 UTC 2006', all patches duly downloaded and installed;
    using KDE

    * infos from YaST/Network Devices/Cisco 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter:
    Hardware Details:
    Hardware Configuration Name: bus-pcmcia-0.0
    Module Name: airo_cs
    (that is what it came up with at the installation of Suse)

    Symptoms:

    * under Suse Linux, I cannot get wireless connection to local WLAN;
    KWiFiManager shows excelent signal strength, KNetworkManager shows
    that the little blue progress bar for the connection process stops at
    about 2/3 of full length, SSID of local WLAN is recognized in both
    cases

    * under Windows XP wireless connection looks okay

    What can I do to make the wireless card work under Suse Linux?

    In you reply, please be specific as I am not a Linux expert at all.

    Thank you for your time and help,

    Starl8gazer

  2. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    starl8gazer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Could anyone please help me out in the following problem?
    >
    > Hardware:
    >
    > * IBM laptop Thinkpad T30 Type 2366-B1U S/N 78-HFTB9 08/02
    >
    > * Cisco PCMCIA card Aironet 340 11 Mbps 2.4GHz DS
    >

    > System software:
    >
    > * dual boot machine Windows XP and Linux
    >
    > * Suse Linux 10.1, 'uname -rv' says '2.6.16.21-0.25-default #1 Tue Sep
    > 19 07:26:15 UTC 2006', all patches duly downloaded and installed;
    > using KDE
    >
    > * infos from YaST/Network Devices/Cisco 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter:
    > Hardware Details:
    > Hardware Configuration Name: bus-pcmcia-0.0
    > Module Name: airo_cs
    > (that is what it came up with at the installation of Suse)
    >

    > Symptoms:
    >
    > * under Suse Linux, I cannot get wireless connection to local WLAN;
    > KWiFiManager shows excelent signal strength, KNetworkManager shows
    > that the little blue progress bar for the connection process stops at
    > about 2/3 of full length, SSID of local WLAN is recognized in both
    > cases
    >
    > * under Windows XP wireless connection looks okay
    >

    > What can I do to make the wireless card work under Suse Linux?
    >
    > In you reply, please be specific as I am not a Linux expert at all.
    >
    > Thank you for your time and help,
    >
    > Starl8gaze

    That's the problem with Linux when it comes right down do it, no damn
    support. I got nothing against Linux I got Suse myself, but if you want
    support you got to pay, which is not unlike MS.

  3. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    > That's the problem with Linux when it comes right down do it, no damn
    > support. I got nothing against Linux I got Suse myself, but if you want
    > support you got to pay, which is not unlike MS.

    I assume thats why the OP posted here for sensible answers unlike your
    idiotic reply.

    Dave

  4. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    starl8gazer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Could anyone please help me out in the following problem?
    >
    > Hardware:
    >
    > * IBM laptop Thinkpad T30 Type 2366-B1U S/N 78-HFTB9 08/02
    >
    > * Cisco PCMCIA card Aironet 340 11 Mbps 2.4GHz DS
    >

    > System software:
    >
    > * dual boot machine Windows XP and Linux
    >
    > * Suse Linux 10.1, 'uname -rv' says '2.6.16.21-0.25-default #1 Tue Sep
    > 19 07:26:15 UTC 2006', all patches duly downloaded and installed;
    > using KDE
    >
    > * infos from YaST/Network Devices/Cisco 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter:
    > Hardware Details:
    > Hardware Configuration Name: bus-pcmcia-0.0
    > Module Name: airo_cs
    > (that is what it came up with at the installation of Suse)
    >

    > Symptoms:
    >
    > * under Suse Linux, I cannot get wireless connection to local WLAN;
    > KWiFiManager shows excelent signal strength, KNetworkManager shows
    > that the little blue progress bar for the connection process stops at
    > about 2/3 of full length, SSID of local WLAN is recognized in both
    > cases
    >
    > * under Windows XP wireless connection looks okay
    >

    > What can I do to make the wireless card work under Suse Linux?
    >
    > In you reply, please be specific as I am not a Linux expert at all.
    >
    > Thank you for your time and help,
    >
    > Starl8gazer

    That sounds like the radio part is ok.
    We need to know a little bit more, though.
    Presumably you have configured an IP address/netmask or is it DHCP?
    What does iwconfig eth1 (I'm blindly assuming eth0 is the ethernet port
    and eth1 is the wireless port) say?
    Are you using WEP?

    Werner

  5. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    gort wrote:
    >>That's the problem with Linux when it comes right down do it, no damn
    >>support. I got nothing against Linux I got Suse myself, but if you want
    >>support you got to pay, which is not unlike MS.

    > I assume thats why the OP posted here for sensible answers unlike your
    > idiotic reply.
    >
    > Dave

    How sad, let us see some of that technical expertise out of you,
    partner, in the wireless NG about Linux. The fact remains there is no
    abundant support for Linux and it's a problem, for the average Job Blow
    home user. And if you have to post to a Linux NG, then you're most
    likely going to be called a bunch of names for making the post, which is
    not unlike you have done here.

  6. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    > How sad, let us see some of that technical expertise out of you,
    > partner, in the wireless NG about Linux. The fact remains there is no
    > abundant support for Linux and it's a problem, for the average Job Blow
    > home user. And if you have to post to a Linux NG, then you're most
    > likely going to be called a bunch of names for making the post, which is
    > not unlike you have done here.

    Ok aside from your silliness, why don't you ask the OP which chipset is
    actually on the wireless card as there are well know ones for which
    excellent solutions exist. Most problems with wireless and linux CAN be
    solved unlike your sweeping inaccurate statement. Support exists in lots of
    places for linux users, man pages and newsgroups like these are just 2. I
    have had lots of excellent support over the years and given plenty back.
    THe fact remains that twats like you put off people from getting to grips
    with linux by spreading FUD ( do you work for a large Redmond based company
    by any chance?).
    Stick to windows, it very user friendly HA HA.

    Dave

  7. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    gort wrote:
    >>How sad, let us see some of that technical expertise out of you,
    >>partner, in the wireless NG about Linux. The fact remains there is no
    >>abundant support for Linux and it's a problem, for the average Job Blow
    >>home user. And if you have to post to a Linux NG, then you're most
    >>likely going to be called a bunch of names for making the post, which is
    >>not unlike you have done here.

    > Ok aside from your silliness, why don't you ask the OP which chipset is
    > actually on the wireless card as there are well know ones for which
    > excellent solutions exist. Most problems with wireless and linux CAN be
    > solved unlike your sweeping inaccurate statement. Support exists in lots of
    > places for linux users, man pages and newsgroups like these are just 2. I
    > have had lots of excellent support over the years and given plenty back.
    > THe fact remains that twats like you put off people from getting to grips
    > with linux by spreading FUD ( do you work for a large Redmond based company
    > by any chance?).
    > Stick to windows, it very user friendly HA HA.
    >
    > Dave

    Why don't you ask the questions and give the support instead of running
    your mouth on this or are you're too superior like most tend to think
    they are, when it comes to using Linux, just like you're showing here,
    once again?

    Linux is not user friendly and it's a problem for the platform from the
    average Joe Blow home user, prespective. It has to be corrected, because
    they are not going to come to NG's and ask questions. They will pick up
    the phone to ask a 3rd party vendor about some software they are tyring
    to use or install on the Linux platform, only to get the response, we
    don't support Linux.

    You need to go hurt yourself on your computer and drop dead, partner.

    Anyway, I am already tired of you and your mouth.

    You're just another lunatic home user running Linux.

    adios muchacho

  8. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    > Anyway, I am already tired of you and your mouth.
    >
    > You're just another lunatic home user running Linux.
    >
    > adios muchacho

    Yes I was just about to tell you to **** off and go back to playing with
    Uncle Bill

  9. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    - soft logical

    You should have your mama change your Pamper, give you your bottle with
    Riddlin and Prozac to calm you down - you're loose out of the play
    pin, and she can then put you in street traffic, where you can play,
    wirelessly. You don't have to drop dead that way. It will be painless
    for you when the MAC truck hits you, ridding your tricycle with red
    wagon in tow.

    You can call Sir Hollywood News Clippings Willy/aka Billy to come and
    get you, if they can scrape you off the street, partner.

  10. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    Hi,

    I'm sending an updated problem description including info addressing
    Werner's comments. In short, I'm using DHCP; WLAN is unencrypted; output
    from 'iwconfig eth0' see below.

    Cheers,

    Starl8gazer

    ----

    Hardware:

    * IBM laptop Thinkpad T30 Type 2366-B1U S/N 78-HFTB9 08/02

    * Cisco PCMCIA card Aironet 340 11Mbps 2.4GHz DS

    System software:

    * dual boot machine Windows XP and Linux

    * Suse Linux 10.1, 'uname -rv' says '2.6.16.21-0.25-default #1 Tue Sep
    19 07:26:15 UTC 2006', all patches duly downloaded and installed;
    using KDE

    * infos from YaST/Network Devices/Cisco 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter:
    Automatic Address Setup (via DHCP)
    Hardware Details:
    Hardware Configuration Name: bus-pcmcia-0.0
    Module Name: airo_cs
    (that is what it came up with at the installation of Suse)
    DHCP Options: Hostname to Send: AUTO

    Symptoms:

    * under Suse Linux, I cannot get wireless connection to local WLAN;
    KWiFiManager shows excelent signal strength, KNetworkManager shows that
    the little blue progress bar for the connection process stops at about
    2/3 of full length, SSID of local unincrypted WLAN is recognized in both
    cases

    * output from...

    > # ifconfig eth1

    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:96:44:9F:C7
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:145412 (142.0 Kb) TX bytes:78 (78.0 b)
    Interrupt:4 Base address:0x4100

    > # iwconfig eth1

    eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:24:C8:9B:60
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity=0/65535
    Retry limit:16 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=48/100 Signal level=-72 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm

    * same card used to work under Suse 9.1

    * under Windows XP wireless connection looks okay

    > Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:32:21 +0800
    > From: Werner
    >

    > starl8gazer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Could anyone please help me out in the following problem?
    > >
    > > [...]
    > >
    > > In you reply, please be specific as I am not a Linux expert at all.
    > >
    > > Thank you for your time and help,
    > >
    > > Starl8gazer

    > That sounds like the radio part is ok.
    > We need to know a little bit more, though.
    > Presumably you have configured an IP address/netmask or is it DHCP?
    > What does iwconfig eth1 (I'm blindly assuming eth0 is the ethernet port
    > and eth1 is the wireless port) say?
    > Are you using WEP?
    >
    > Werner

  11. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

> [...]

    > Link Quality=48/100 Signal level=-72 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:3 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:466 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > * same card used to work under Suse 9.1
    >
    > * under Windows XP wireless connection looks okay
    >

    >>Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:32:21 +0800
    >>From: Werner
    >>

    >>starl8gazer@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>Could anyone please help me out in the following problem?
    >>>
    >>>[...]
    >>>
    >>>In you reply, please be specific as I am not a Linux expert at all.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you for your time and help,
    >>>
    >>>Starl8gazer

    >>That sounds like the radio part is ok.
    >>We need to know a little bit more, though.
    >>Presumably you have configured an IP address/netmask or is it DHCP?
    >>What does iwconfig eth1 (I'm blindly assuming eth0 is the ethernet port

    Hi,
    Can you ping anything?

  12. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    starl8gazer@yahoo.com hath wroth:

    >> Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:32:21 +0800
    >> From: Werner
    >> Are you using WEP?
    >> Werner

    Are you using WEP?
    If so, use the hex key, not the ASCII key.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

  13. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    Hi all,

    I just noticed one more puzzling detail. As I said, the WLAN does not
    use any encryption, and hence my entries in YaST/"Cisco 340 Series
    Wireless LAN Adapter"/"Wireless Network Card Configuration" are:

    Network Name (ESSID):
    Authentication Mode: Open
    Key Input Type: Passphrase [defaults to this since...]
    Encryption Key:

    Yet, in KWiFiManager/Scan for Networks I see
    Network Name:
    Mode: Managed
    WEP: on <-- ???

    And when I click on this entry and click "Switch to Network", I get a
    window saying "Aborting network switching due to invalid WEP key
    specification".

    What's going on here?

    Starl8gazer

    > Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:26:18 -0800
    > From: Jeff Liebermann
    >
    > starl8gazer@yahoo.com hath wroth:
    >
    > >> Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:32:21 +0800
    > >> From: Werner
    > >> Are you using WEP?
    > >> Werner

    > Are you using WEP?
    > If so, use the hex key, not the ASCII key.

  14. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    starl8gazer_remove_@yahoo.com hath wroth:

    >What's going on here?

    Second try. You are apparently using WEP. If so, please use the Hex
    key, not the ASCII key. There are at least 3 different idiotic
    methods various manufacturers have elected to convert ASCII keys to
    Hex keys. They are mutually incompatible. Hex always works. If you
    want to know exactly how it (doesn't work), see the Perl code at:
    http://www.wigle.net/jigle/wep.pl

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

  15. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    Jeff, all,

    That's odd... I am told the local WLAN does not use any encryption,
    i.e., WEP, so I don't even want to use it. In fact, that's what seems to
    work under Windows XP. As I understand the instructions in YaST, setting
    the Authentication Mode "Open" should be fine then. Setting Key Input
    Type doesn't doing anything, i.e., setting it to Hex with empty
    Encryption Key and clicking "Next", brings up a warning, "Using no
    encryption is a security risk. Really continue?", I say "Yes" and "Next"
    and restart the YaST Network Config, it's back to "Passphrase".

    Starl8gazer

    > Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:37:27 -0800
    > From: Jeff Liebermann
    >
    > starl8gazer_remove_@yahoo.com hath wroth:
    >
    > >What's going on here?

    > Second try. You are apparently using WEP. If so, please use the Hex
    > key, not the ASCII key. There are at least 3 different idiotic
    > methods various manufacturers have elected to convert ASCII keys to
    > Hex keys. They are mutually incompatible. Hex always works. If you
    > want to know exactly how it (doesn't work), see the Perl code at:
    > http://www.wigle.net/jigle/wep.pl

  16. Re: Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

    On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:41:53 -0500, starl8gazer_remove_@yahoo.com
    wrote:

    >That's odd... I am told the local WLAN does not use any encryption,
    >i.e., WEP, so I don't even want to use it.

    Are you sure there's no encryption being used on whatever you're
    trying to connect? You can check with any site survey tool such a
    Netstumbler or Kismet.

    >In fact, that's what seems to
    >work under Windows XP.

    What is "that"? Is it working under XP with WEP or with no
    encryption?

    >As I understand the instructions in YaST, setting
    >the Authentication Mode "Open" should be fine then.

    Open is correct. But it has nothing to do with encryption. It's what
    is used to authenticate after making a successful association and
    encryption key exchange. Open Authentication really means "no
    authentication at all".

    >Setting Key Input
    >Type doesn't doing anything, i.e., setting it to Hex with empty
    >Encryption Key and clicking "Next", brings up a warning, "Using no
    >encryption is a security risk. Really continue?", I say "Yes" and "Next"
    >and restart the YaST Network Config, it's back to "Passphrase".

    Well, the settings you posted suggest that you have WEP enabled on
    your Cisco 340 wireless card.

    I had lots of problems with the initial install and subsequent update
    when I tried SUSE 10.1. I had to go back to 9.3 in order to deliver a
    working server. However, there was no internal wireless involved in
    this system so I have no experience with the latest bugs. I couldn't
    find anything in Bugzilla for 10.1 that's related:

    However, there are some notes that the network manager will screwup if
    you are using WEP but have a "hidden" (non broadcasting) SSID.

    # 831-336-2558 jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # http://802.11junk.com jeffl@cruzio.com
    # http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

  17. Problems with KNetworkManager and KWifiManager

    [ was "Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1" ]

    Hello,

    It turned out that the Cisco _card_ was not the problem. Below is an
    updated problem description. In short, connection to local WLAN fails
    using (K)NetworkManager, yet is successful using "traditional method
    with ifup" in the Suse YaST network setup.

    What is wrong? What can I do to make KNetworkManager and KWiFiManager work?

    Again, in you reply, please be specific as I am not a Linux expert at
    all. The (potential) jargon you see is what I gathered from other
    people.

    Thank you,

    Starl8gazer

    ----------

    Problem description:
    --------------------

    Hardware:

    * IBM laptop Thinkpad T30 Type 2366-B1U S/N 78-HFTB9 08/02

    * Cisco PCMCIA card Aironet 340 11Mbps 2.4GHz DS

    Linux system software:

    * Suse Linux 10.1, 'uname -rv' says '2.6.16.21-0.25-default #1 Tue Sep
    19 07:26:15 UTC 2006', all patches duly downloaded and installed;
    using KDE

    * infos from YaST/Network Devices/Cisco 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter:
    Automatic Address Setup (via DHCP)
    Network Name (ESSID):
    Authentication Mode: Open
    Key Input Type: Passphrase
    Encryption Key:
    Hardware Details:
    Hardware Configuration Name: bus-pcmcia-0.0
    Module Name: airo_cs
    (that is what it came up with at the installation of Suse)
    DHCP Options: Hostname to Send: AUTO

    Local WLAN info:

    * no encryption, no authentication

    Symptoms:

    * choosing "User Controlled with NetworkManager" as Network Setup Method,
    I cannot get wireless connection to local WLAN;
    KNetworkManager sees local WLAN, but shows that the little blue progress
    bar for the connection process stops at about 2/3 of full length;
    KWiFiManager shows excellent signal strength and also sees Network Name,
    yet all entries of the local WLAN show WEP "on" which should not be
    the case; trying "Switch to Network" fails with error message "Aborting
    network switching due to invalid WEP key specification"

    * choosing "Traditional Method with ifup" as Network Setup Method,
    wireless connection is successful;
    KWiFiManager again shows entries of local WLAN with WEP "on", but also one
    with WEP empty; trying to switch to it results in the same error message
    as described above

    * when working with NetworkManager: output from...

    michelson:/ # ifconfig eth1
    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:96:44:9F:C7
    [ with traditional method, there is an extra line here with
    inet addr:.... Bcast:... Mask:... ]
    inet6 addr: fe80::240:96ff:fe44:9fc7/64 Scope:Link
    RX packets:71697 errors:4011 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:4011
    TX packets:28793 errors:286385 dropped:0 overruns:286385 carrier:0
    collisions:1809 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:34389724 (32.7 Mb) TX bytes:8257695 (7.8 Mb)
    Interrupt:4 Base address:0x4100

    michelson:/ # iwconfig eth1
    eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"michelson"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:24:C8:9B:60
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity=0/65535
    Retry limit:16 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=41/100 Signal level=-75 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm