list memory by ram module - Hardware

This is a discussion on list memory by ram module - Hardware ; Hi, I upgraded my RAM from one module of 256MB by another module of 512MB. In /proc/meminfo (Kernel 2.6.16.13) the display of the total memory is "MemTotal: 775916 kB". What are possible reasons for the deviation from 768MB=786432kB? Can you ...

  1. list memory by ram module

    Hi,
    I upgraded my RAM from one module of 256MB by another module of 512MB.

    In /proc/meminfo (Kernel 2.6.16.13) the display of the total memory is
    "MemTotal: 775916 kB".
    What are possible reasons for the deviation from 768MB=786432kB?

    Can you recommend a memory test program that separates the output by
    memory modules, so that I can find out which module is broken (if the
    missing 11kB indicate a defect)?

    Thanks
    Arno

  2. Re: list memory by ram module

    On 29 Nov 2006 11:04:42 -0800, arno.tucson@hotmail.com staggered into
    the Black Sun and said:
    > In /proc/meminfo (Kernel 2.6.16.13) the display of the total memory is
    > "MemTotal: 775916 kB".
    > What are possible reasons for the deviation from 768MB=786432kB?

    Go to http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search, put the string
    slrnecfggf.jmb.danSPANceswitTRAPhcro...202.dyndns.org into
    the "find message with this Message-ID" text field, press the "lookup
    message" button for the answer to this question.

    > Can you recommend a memory test program that separates the output by
    > memory modules, so that I can find out which module is broken (if the
    > missing 11 [M] indicate a defect)?

    It's not a defect, it's the kernel reserving ~11M for its code, data,
    loadable modules, and so forth. AFAIK, the amount of RAM that gets
    reserved depends mostly on how much total RAM you have. HTH,

    --
    You don't change the way people think by changing what they
    say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES