Hi,
I recently connected a LITE-ON DVD-CDRW through an external usb drive. It
works ok but when there is no disk in the drive every second it sends the
message:

kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

which ends up in /var/log/messages. If there is a disk in the
unit it doesn't send the message but the disk spins continuously, which
will probably wear the drive out prematurely.

I am running slackware 11.0 with kernel 2.6.18. The above unit replaces a
LITE-ON CDRW which, as far as I know, did not have this behavior.
Any ideas about how I can tell this gizmo to pipe down?
Thanks, JWC