lirc - irda - consumer IR - compaq laptop - help / howto - Hardware

This is a discussion on lirc - irda - consumer IR - compaq laptop - help / howto - Hardware ; So I got the Compaq Presario v5305wm laptop. The spec sheet says it has 1 Consumer IR on it. And I seem to have it setup, but it's not effecting or being effected by anything. Distro: Debian SID Kernel: 2.6.18.3 ...

  1. lirc - irda - consumer IR - compaq laptop - help / howto

    So I got the Compaq Presario v5305wm laptop. The spec sheet says it has 1
    Consumer IR on it. And I seem to have it setup, but it's not effecting or
    being effected by anything.

    Distro: Debian SID
    Kernel: 2.6.18.3
    Lirc: 0.8.1pre3

    lsmod:
    lirc_serial 13280 0
    lirc_dev 14740 1 lirc_serial

    lircd:
    lircd -n --device=/dev/lirc0 --driver=default ./remotes/sanyo/TV
    (the TV in the living room is a Sanyo)

    irsend:
    irsend SEND_ONCE sanyo-tv01 power
    (runs fine, but doesn't power the TV on or off)

    irrecord:
    irrecord --device=/dev/lirc0 --driver=default outfile.txt
    (runs, but ends with:
    irrecord: no data for 10 secs, aborting
    irrecord: gap not found, can't continue )

    I seem to have everything setup, but it's not working. What am I missing?
    Am I not using the right driver? Is my IR port not supported? Is there
    something else I should be looking into? Special ioports or something for
    this machine?

    It's been a rough road getting this far. Apparently lirc wants to use
    devfs and not udev by default. I finally managed to get around this by
    using the ./setup.sh script instead of ./configure to setup the compile
    options. But I finally got lirc to compile and install on something other
    than a 2.4.33.4 kernel with devfs and gcc-3.4. It's supposedly setup
    now with udev and kernel 2.6.18.3 with gcc-4.1. Not that it seems to do
    anything aside from chewing up a lot of my time trying to get it to do
    something.

    dmesg:
    lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
    lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
    lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
    (after modprobe lirc_serial)

    /var/log/lircd:
    lircd: lircd(sir) ready
    lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
    lircd: removed client
    lircd: caught signal
    (when I run the lircd and ^C it to stop it after irsend)

    /etc/udev/rules.d/10-lirc.rules:
    KERNEL=="lirc0", NAME="%k", SYMLINK=="lirc"
    (manually added)

    Insight? Suggestions? I seem to have run out of options at this point.

    thanks,
    Shadow_7

  2. Re: lirc - irda - consumer IR - compaq laptop - help / howto

    > lsmod:
    > lirc_serial 13280 0
    > lirc_dev 14740 1 lirc_serial

    Some minor progress.

    lirc_sir seems more appropriate as it actually gets stuff allocated in
    /proc/interrupts. And some ./configure trickery to be more friendly to
    the way I do things.

    ../configure --prefix=/usr \
    --with-x \
    --with-driver=sir \
    --with-moduledir=/lib/modules/2.6.18.3/misc

    and make and make install. This is based off of what ./setup.sh generates
    in ./config.log. For some reason ./setup.sh still uses the /usr/local
    prefix. Which has issues if you also have a distro installed version in
    /usr. While I have fixed that, I have yet to get things doing anything.

    dmesg:
    lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
    lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
    lirc_sir: I/O port 0x03e8, IRQ 4.
    lirc_sir: Installed.

    unfortunately ./configure seems to only let you do one --driver= option.
    Except for all, but that fails to compile starting with the audio driver.
    So I can't just compile all drivers and try them one at a time untill I get
    one that works, or I breakdown and buy or build an ir port other than that
    which is theoretically built into my laptop. Unfortunately I only have tv
    remotes and such to test this. My PDA has had a busted screen for a
    number of years, and I don't own any ir keyboards or mice to test with.
    So far irrecord still dies after it's 10 second timeout due to no input.

    Does anyone know the driver to use for HP or Compaq laptops? is lirc_sir
    or lirc_serial the right driver(s)? Is there some special port or irq
    setting I should use? Is there a way to identify what those would be? Is
    there an lspci for serial devices? Do I have to wait for CIR support
    before I can use my Consumer IR? I really don't want to try and restore
    the XP media edition that came with the laptop to see if this thing has
    IR, what specifics about it, and if it works.

    Running out of options
    S7

  3. Re: lirc - irda - consumer IR - compaq laptop - help / howto

    > Running out of options

    Anyway, running through these sites for similar laptops:

    linux-on-laptops.com
    tuxmobil.org

    I've come across at least one entry that says that the device might not
    actually exist. Despite appearing on the specifications sheet and on the
    box. With apparently some confirmation from HP tech support on this.
    Which would explain the behavior I have or haven't gotten out of trying to
    use said device. Despite being afaik properly setup.

    I guess the only option I have now is to assume I have no IrDA port, or to
    disassemble this laptop looking for existing or non-existing hardware in
    the suspected location. Or I could otherwise re-install windows and
    verify the authors claims that it neither exists nor works in windows or
    linux. As I remember the 45 minutes it took me to initially boot windows
    to start with just to see what it came with. And try to fathom the
    days/hours it will take to restore windows with a 12G recovery partition.

    S7

  4. Re: lirc - irda - consumer IR - compaq laptop - help / howto

    > linux-on-laptops.com
    > tuxmobil.org

    cat /proc/tty/driver/serial

    0: uart:unknown port:000003F8 irq:4
    1: uart:unknown port:000002F8 irq:3
    2: uart:unknown port:000003E8 irq:4
    3: uart:unknown port:000002E8 irq:3

    Apparently there's no known device. On serial anyway for uart anyway.

  5. Re: lirc - irda - consumer IR - compaq laptop - help / howto

    It looks like recent BIOS flash upgrades does some stuff for IR
    functionality. I suppose I'll get around to re-installing windows to do
    the flash upgrade sometime in the future. If memory serves, my version is
    3F or something, and the current is 44 as of 9/2006. Hopefully when I
    upgrade it'll take care the PCI Express issue I'm having as well.

    pcie_portdrv_probe->Dev[5a37:1002] has invalid IRQ. Check vendor BIOS
    Allocate Port Service[0000:00:05.0cie00]
    Allocate Port Service[0000:00:05.0cie01]

    So far no luck getting the theoretical IR device working.

    S7

+ Reply to Thread