what is the best PC for my purpose ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on what is the best PC for my purpose ? - Hardware ; Hi there, Is there anyone who owns a SUN Personal Computer, such as SUN Ultra 20 M2 ? I wonder how that would fit in terms of compatibility (the processor is not an INTEL Pentium) for implementing RedHat or Debian ...

  1. what is the best PC for my purpose ?

    Hi there,

    Is there anyone who owns a SUN Personal Computer, such as SUN Ultra 20 M2
    ? I wonder how that would fit in terms of compatibility (the processor is
    not an INTEL Pentium) for implementing RedHat or Debian packages ? Do you
    think such machine would be more reliable than HP, Fujitsu etc... as far
    as Hard Disks are concerned... ?

  2. Re: what is the best PC for my purpose ?

    Bernard wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Is there anyone who owns a SUN Personal Computer, such as SUN Ultra 20 M2
    > ? I wonder how that would fit in terms of compatibility (the processor is
    > not an INTEL Pentium) for implementing RedHat or Debian packages ?

    The Sun Ultra 20 is an AMD Opteron-based machine so it's really no
    different from running RedHat or Debian on a current Intel processor and
    will use the exact same Linux distributions and packages as any other
    Intel- or AMD-based system. (The Sun Ultra 25 uses Sun's own UltraSPARC
    IIIi processor. That's a whole different story.) In fact, Sun sells
    that system with your choice of Solaris, SuSE Linux, RedHat Linux, or
    even Windows XP.

    > Do you
    > think such machine would be more reliable than HP, Fujitsu etc... as far
    > as Hard Disks are concerned... ?

    I'd trust any quality, name-brand vendor. Sun doesn't make hard drives,
    they use Seagate, Fujitsu, or whatever other brand they can get. Same
    goes for HP, Dell, IBM, and just about any other system vendor.

    The components in Sun's system will be engineered to work together well
    (e.g., proper airflow in the case providing proper cooling to all the
    critical components). That might provide some advantage over a system
    assembled from parts from various vendors, or it might not. Sun offers
    a wide array of (extra-cost) support options for that system and that,
    IMHO, is a big part of the value of Sun hardware. The same can be said
    for HP, IBM, and many other top-tier vendors, though.

  3. Re: what is the best PC for my purpose ?

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:23:51 +0100, John-Paul Stewart wrote:

    I have given up the idea of purchasing a SUN machine. Instead, I am
    investigating computer assembling possibilities. I am not looking forward
    to doing it myself, which I consider too risky.

    I have just visited a website where such services are being proposed, and
    I must say that I am impressed by the low prices that are being
    advertized. They propose various configurations. I picked one up, and I
    would like to hear advices about each main component, as far as :

    1. reliability and

    2. compatibility with Linux on older and newer kernels.

    motherboard : ASUS P5LD2 SE-C or ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

    processor : Intel core 2 Duo 6300 1,86 GHz

    ram : 512 Mb DDR2 pc 4200 Kingston Value Ram

    graphic board : ATI Radeon X300SE 128 Mb DDR tv dvi

    hard disk : 80 Gb SATA Maxtor cache = 8 Mb

    everything mounted and tested for 487 Euros

    no screen included, they propose Hyundai screens, I intend to buy a LCD
    flat screen 15 or 17 inches (17" = 185 Euros)

    I am quite aware of the fact that this is mostly outdated hardware,
    especially the 80 Gb disk. Larger disks of the same make are being
    proposed at a surprisingly small extra cost... but I am under the
    impression that smaller disks are likely to offer a better reliability.
    Indeed, I intend to have TWO disks and a RAID system. This is not being
    proposed on the website, but I think they would not refuse to install
    that when asked, and I expect the extra cost not to be too high.

    By the way, do you think that one or both of the proposed motherboards
    will be RAID compatible ?

    Thanks in advance for any insight and advice.

    As for Linux compatibility, I visited linuxcompatible.org, but I saw
    nothing but very old things...

    > Bernard wrote:

  4. Re: what is the best PC for my purpose ?

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:49:08 +0100, Bernard staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I am not looking forward to [assembling an x86-64 from parts] myself,
    > which I consider too risky.

    Not even close. Read one of the "How to build a PC" articles on
    arstechnica.com or a similar site, and you'll be prepared. The only
    thing that's even close to difficult is getting the heatsink properly
    seated on the CPU, and that's fairly easy.

    > ASUS P5LD2 SE-C or ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

    Should work OK.

    > Intel core 2 Duo 6300 1.86 GHz, 512M DDR2 4200 Kingston Value RAM

    AMD64 generally gives you better bang for your $, but this'll work. Why
    so little RAM?

    > Radeon X300SE 128 Mb DDR tv dvi

    You'll have to use the evil binary-only fglrx modules to get 3D
    acceleration working, and you may have to use those to get TV-out
    working. Docs for the "radeon" module in Xorg 7.1 say this is supported
    with Free stuff if all you need is 2D.

    > 80G SATA Maxtor

    Not enough space.

    > 487 Euros

    Seems fairly close to reasonable. I specced out a similar box 1 year
    ago (Athlon64 3000, 512M, 2 80G SATA disks, CD-RW, cheap video card) and
    it cost about that much.

    > I am under the impression that smaller disks are likely to offer a
    > better reliability.

    Not necessarily.

    > Indeed, I intend to have TWO disks and a RAID system. This is not
    > being [offered] on the website, but I think they would not refuse to
    > install that when asked

    It's weird that they're not offering that.

    > By the way, do you think that one or both of the proposed motherboards
    > will be RAID compatible?

    Who cares? Run softRAID; it's more flexible, probably faster, and
    probably much easier to set up.

    > I visited linuxcompatible.org, but I saw nothing but very old
    > things.

    Stuff changes too fast for most websites to keep up with what's
    currently supported. HTH anyway,

    --
    So, what do *you* do for a living?
    I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers

  5. Re: what is the best PC for my purpose ?

    Dances With Crows writes:
    >On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:49:08 +0100, Bernard staggered into the Black Sun
    >and said:
    >> Radeon X300SE 128 Mb DDR tv dvi

    >You'll have to use the evil binary-only fglrx modules to get 3D
    >acceleration working

    No, the radeon driver combined with the r300 DRI driver supports
    hardware 3d acceleration.

    >> 80G SATA Maxtor

    >Not enough space.

    Depends on the use, but in any case not very much value for the money.

    >> By the way, do you think that one or both of the proposed motherboards
    >> will be RAID compatible?

    >Who cares? Run softRAID; it's more flexible, probably faster, and
    >probably much easier to set up.

    And you can still get at your data when the motherboard dies.

    - anton