recommend Linux/Windoze friendly remote print server??? - Hardware

This is a discussion on recommend Linux/Windoze friendly remote print server??? - Hardware ; Gentlemen; I've used Axis 540's in the past and more recently Hawking Tech's versions. but lately I have a Hawking that seems to be dying and I need to replace it. I tried another Hawking and I can get to ...

  1. recommend Linux/Windoze friendly remote print server???

    Gentlemen;

    I've used Axis 540's in the past and more recently Hawking Tech's versions.
    but lately I have a Hawking that seems to be dying and I need to replace
    it. I tried another Hawking and I can get to it with Windoze but NOT with
    Linux/cups. It seems to configure properly under cups and shows all the
    correct messages when attempting to print to it.... but nothing gets there.

    If I print the same stuff with the Windoze drivers from XP, it goes well.
    Also, I certainly can Ping the device.

    So, my question is... if I am going to replace this and several others when
    they fail, which particular print server make/model have people had good
    luck with concurrently with both Linux and Windoze as a network only
    printer?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: recommend Linux/Windoze friendly remote print server???

    bobmct wrote:
    > Gentlemen;
    >
    > I've used Axis 540's in the past and more recently Hawking Tech's versions.
    > but lately I have a Hawking that seems to be dying and I need to replace
    > it. I tried another Hawking and I can get to it with Windoze but NOT with
    > Linux/cups. It seems to configure properly under cups and shows all the
    > correct messages when attempting to print to it.... but nothing gets there.
    >
    > If I print the same stuff with the Windoze drivers from XP, it goes well.
    > Also, I certainly can Ping the device.
    >
    > So, my question is... if I am going to replace this and several others when
    > they fail, which particular print server make/model have people had good
    > luck with concurrently with both Linux and Windoze as a network only
    > printer?

    I have Belkin wireless router with usb print server and it works well
    both as an access point and as a print server for my linux and windows
    boxes.
    dLink 804 on the other hand did not work well. I also have prejudice
    against netgear.
    An older Asante router has a parallel printer port and works fine also,
    but is (very) slow.
    Even when printing b/w postscript. Go for a router with a usb print
    server
    if you have a modern printer. I think usb print servers cost more than
    router+print server
    combo.

+ Reply to Thread