Compaq Presario SR1020NX - Hardware

This is a discussion on Compaq Presario SR1020NX - Hardware ; I have a Compaq Presario SR1020NX on which I am attempting to load Debian Sarge 3.1. It has an Award BIOS ver 6.00 and an Intel Celeron 2.8GHz processor. The motherboard is labeled MS-6577 ver 4.1. Browsing the web, this ...

  1. Compaq Presario SR1020NX

    I have a Compaq Presario SR1020NX on which I am attempting to load Debian
    Sarge 3.1. It has an Award BIOS ver 6.00 and an Intel Celeron 2.8GHz
    processor. The motherboard is labeled MS-6577 ver 4.1. Browsing the web,
    this seems to be made by MSI, but although there are lots of queries on the
    web for information or manuals, I couldn't find any replies with links that
    worked. I have tried several permutations of boot parameters like noapic,
    nolapic, linux26, etc, but nothing so far has worked. The DVD uncompresses
    the kernel and begins to load it, but immediately the system just reboots.
    It doesn't post any errors or hang, it just starts the POST again. I have
    verified the DVD will boot in other systems. Does anyone have any
    suggestions or has anyone had any experience with this motherboard under
    Linux?

  2. Re: Compaq Presario SR1020NX

    "Leslie Rhorer" wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq Presario SR1020NX on which I am attempting to load Debian
    >Sarge 3.1. It has an Award BIOS ver 6.00 and an Intel Celeron 2.8GHz
    >processor. The motherboard is labeled MS-6577 ver 4.1. Browsing the web,
    >this seems to be made by MSI, but although there are lots of queries on the
    >web for information or manuals, I couldn't find any replies with links that
    >worked. I have tried several permutations of boot parameters like noapic,
    >nolapic, linux26, etc, but nothing so far has worked. The DVD uncompresses
    >the kernel and begins to load it, but immediately the system just reboots.
    >It doesn't post any errors or hang, it just starts the POST again. I have
    >verified the DVD will boot in other systems. Does anyone have any
    >suggestions or has anyone had any experience with this motherboard under
    >Linux?

    Update: I did finally find a manual. It looks like it uses an Intel
    845G/GE chipset. I've obtained a BIOS upgrade to see if that helps.

+ Reply to Thread