Booting from USB drive - Hardware

This is a discussion on Booting from USB drive - Hardware ; I have just bought an external hard drive and would like to play around with some linux distros. My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb drive (but does from a usb key. I wondered if it was possible to ...

  1. Booting from USB drive

    I have just bought an external hard drive and would like to play around
    with some linux distros. My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb
    drive (but does from a usb key. I wondered if it was possible to use the
    external drive using a boot manager on the main hard drive to load from the
    external drive?

    Thanks for your help

  2. Re: Booting from USB drive

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:58:15 +0000, Michael staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb drive (but does from
    > a usb key.)

    Er, WTF? USB Mass Storage devices should all react in the same way to
    BIOS requests. That is, it *should not matter* whether the device
    you're trying to boot from is a 128M keychain drive or a 128G USB disk.
    Maybe you'd better clarify this statement--post the exact error messages
    you get, make+model of motherboard, etcetera.

    > I wondered if it was possible to use the external drive using a boot
    > manager on the main hard drive to load from the external drive?

    The only way this'd be easy is if you had /boot on the internal disk and
    /, /usr, /var, etcetera on the USB disk.

    --
    I will rule you all with my iron fist. YOU! Obey the fist!
    --Invader Zim

  3. Re: Booting from USB drive

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:15:40 -0600, Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:58:15 +0000, Michael staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    >> My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb drive (but does from
    >> a usb key.)

    > Er, WTF? USB Mass Storage devices should all react in the same way to
    > BIOS requests. That is, it *should not matter* whether the device
    > you're trying to boot from is a 128M keychain drive or a 128G USB disk.
    > Maybe you'd better clarify this statement--post the exact error messages
    > you get, make+model of motherboard, etcetera.

    Well that does puzzle me. I haven't actually tried the disk because I don't
    want to unpack it as I will return it if I can't use it to try out other
    operating systems.

    The actual info about the booting from usb drive came from the manufacters
    web site

  4. Re: Booting from USB drive

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:30:20 +0000, Michael staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:15:40 -0600, Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> Michael wrote:
    >>> My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb drive (but does
    >>> from a usb key.)

    >> Er, WTF? USB Mass Storage devices should all react in the same way
    >> to BIOS requests. That is, it *should not matter* whether the device
    >> you're trying to boot from is a 128M keychain drive or a 128G USB
    >> disk.

    > Well that does puzzle me. I haven't actually tried the disk because I
    > don't want to unpack it as I will return it if I can't use it

    ? If you bought this disk in the USA, and you kept all the packaging
    and the receipt, you should be able to try it out and return it with No
    Problem if you do it within 7 or 14 days. If the store you bought it
    from is evil, you might have to pay a 15% "restocking fee", which is a
    *great* argument for buying stuff from another store (or via
    pricewatch/newegg) in the future.

    > The actual info about booting from [a] usb drive came from the
    > [manufacturer's] web site.

    They're doing a CYA, or their info was translated from Mandarin to
    English by someone who only spoke Finno-Ugric. However, thanks to BIOS
    stupidity, if I were you, I'd make sure that /boot is within the first
    128 (or 8) G of the device when you install a new distro on this USB
    device. Can't be too careful, after all. HTH,

    --
    I think I'll have to put on 500 pounds of subwoofers, amps, and other
    delicious herbs. --MegaHAL, trained on ASR