Seeking recommendation for external storage - Hardware

This is a discussion on Seeking recommendation for external storage - Hardware ; For home use (lots of videos, stills, etc.), I'm looking for storage. I'm thinking at least 500G to start, but with the ability to grow (and with 750G SATA drives, that shouldn't be a problem). I'm leaning towards external storage ...

  1. Seeking recommendation for external storage

    For home use (lots of videos, stills, etc.), I'm looking for storage.
    I'm thinking at least 500G to start, but with the ability to grow (and
    with 750G SATA drives, that shouldn't be a problem). I'm leaning towards
    external storage to make it easier to upgrade/swap the computer. And the
    computer - or one networked to it - will eventually be running
    something along the lines of the Myth media server. So speed is
    significant.

    I've had bad luck with USB connected drives, but all my experience has
    been with Lacie products.

    I've had decent luck using older SCSI boards I've had sitting around and
    connecting them to SCSI attached arrays that use SATA1 drives at work. Is
    this a reasonable home solution? I'm thinking it a little pricey, but
    I've not shopped these products in a while.

    Are there external SATA connectors/arrays? Looking at SATA connectors,
    this certain appears like something that could be used externally. But I
    don't know how long a cable is permitted.

    Network attached might be okay if it were quick enough to handle
    recording/playing videos. I've plenty of experience with both NFS and
    iSCSI, and I can keep this storage on a private GigE subnet without much
    difficulty (even if it's just using a crossover for now).

    What else is recommended?

    Thanks...

    Andrew

  2. Re: Seeking recommendation for external storage

    Andrew Gideon wrote:
    > For home use (lots of videos, stills, etc.), I'm looking for storage.
    > I'm thinking at least 500G to start, but with the ability to grow (and
    > with 750G SATA drives, that shouldn't be a problem). I'm leaning towards
    > external storage to make it easier to upgrade/swap the computer. And the
    > computer - or one networked to it - will eventually be running
    > something along the lines of the Myth media server. So speed is
    > significant.
    >
    > I've had bad luck with USB connected drives, but all my experience has
    > been with Lacie products.
    >
    > I've had decent luck using older SCSI boards I've had sitting around and
    > connecting them to SCSI attached arrays that use SATA1 drives at work. Is
    > this a reasonable home solution? I'm thinking it a little pricey, but
    > I've not shopped these products in a while.

    External 4-bay SCSI RAID subsystems will be around $1100+ USD.

    > Are there external SATA connectors/arrays? Looking at SATA connectors,
    > this certain appears like something that could be used externally. But I
    > don't know how long a cable is permitted.

    Yes... these are good solutions. Should be able to run a cable long
    enough. This is probably the economical choice with the most
    flexibility. You could run JBOD and do RAID in software if
    desired.

    > Network attached might be okay if it were quick enough to handle
    > recording/playing videos. I've plenty of experience with both NFS and
    > iSCSI, and I can keep this storage on a private GigE subnet without much
    > difficulty (even if it's just using a crossover for now).

    This is just ok... depends on how fast your gigE goes. If you can
    push the max... then it's ok... but certainly not as fast as
    an external SATA or SCSI set of drives. Some RAID subsystems
    are extremely fast (200M/sec+), but probably out of your price range.
    Look to get about 30-50M/sec max if you go the NAS route on just
    gigE (from my own experience).

    > What else is recommended?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > Andrew

  3. Re: Seeking recommendation for external storage

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:54:15 -0600, Chris Cox wrote:

    > Yes... these are good solutions. Should be able to run a cable long
    > enough. This is probably the economical choice with the most flexibility.
    > You could run JBOD and do RAID in software if desired.

    Any recommendations for SATA boards with external connectors (that work
    well with Linux) and SATA arrays? I suppose that I could use individual
    drives as long as the SATA board(s) have enough connectors (or if SATA
    supports serial connections like SCSI).

    Thanks...

    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread