new mainboard - Hardware

This is a discussion on new mainboard - Hardware ; hi all, i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go for the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as compatibility is concerned? Is there any ...

  1. new mainboard

    hi all,
    i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go for
    the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as
    compatibility is concerned? Is there any chipset or other feature that is
    still not supported by linux?

    thanks
    ivan

  2. Re: new mainboard

    Ivan writes:

    > hi all,
    > i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go for
    > the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as
    > compatibility is concerned? Is there any chipset or other feature that is
    > still not supported by linux?

    If you get some bleeding-edge motherboard that just came about yesterday,
    yes, there's a chance that you'll have problems. But, for motherboards that
    have been out for at least a year or two, it would be rather unusual for
    them to have any issues with Linux.

    It would be commercial suicide for any hardware vendor to ship a motherboard
    that cannot boot Linux, so before they ship anything they will make sure
    that any software drivers will be available, and it usually takes a year or
    so for any new drivers to percolate down to the mainstream Linux
    distributions.

    In this day and age there are many vendors that sell Linux systems. There's
    no need for you to worry about it, just order your hardware from any vendor
    that advertises Linux.

  3. Re: new mainboard

    On Saturday 25 November 2006 15:47, Ivan stood up and addressed the masses
    in /comp.os.linux.misc/ as follows...:

    > hi all,
    > i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go
    > for the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as
    > far as compatibility is concerned? Is there any chipset or other feature
    > that is still not supported by linux?

    I'm not sure on whether this still counts, but there are certain issues with
    SATA on Asus boards, which seem to trace back to the BIOS versions Asus
    uses for those boards.

    Other than that, there do not seem to be any problems. Of course, if you
    opt for a 64-bit system, you should keep in mind that certain plugins are
    only available in 32-bit versions and thus require 32-bit libraries to work
    with.

    So for instance, if you want to use the Flash plugins for Firefox on a
    64-bit system, you'll need to install a 32-bit version of Firefox.
    Likewise for /win32codecs/ and the mediaplayer you want to use with them.

    As for videocards, ATI cards traditionally have very poor and unstable
    drivers for the Linux kernel, but this /may/ change in the near future, now
    that AMD has purchased ATI and has announced to be releasing the ATI
    drivers as Open Source to X.Org.

    Lastly, I strongly advise going for an AMD solution. Intel may be faster
    now with its Core 2 Duo, but technically, the AMD design is far superior,
    and this particularly stands out on physical SMP systems - i.e. systems
    with more than one processor node on the motherboard.

    If you're going for 64-bit and you're going to be using a downloadable
    distribution, pick /AMD64/ or /x86_64,/ _not_ /IA64/ - that's for the
    Itanium processor, which is quite a different thing! ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: new mainboard

    Ivan wrote:
    > hi all,
    > i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go for
    > the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as
    > compatibility is concerned? Is there any chipset or other feature that is
    > still not supported by linux?

    If there are no heatpipes from the northbridge going anywhere don't buy
    the board.
    The northbridge would run very very hot.

  5. Re: new mainboard

    Aragorn wrote:

    > As for videocards, ATI cards traditionally have very poor and unstable
    > drivers for the Linux kernel, but this /may/ change in the near future, now
    > that AMD has purchased ATI and has announced to be releasing the ATI
    > drivers as Open Source to X.Org.

    ???? When did this happen? Any info on this?

    --Yan

  6. Re: new mainboard

    CptDondo wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> As for videocards, ATI cards traditionally have very poor and unstable
    >> drivers for the Linux kernel, but this /may/ change in the near future, now
    >> that AMD has purchased ATI and has announced to be releasing the ATI
    >> drivers as Open Source to X.Org.

    > ???? When did this happen? Any info on this?

    I presume by "this" that you are referring to the AMD acquisition of
    ATI. That happend last month. Press releases can be found on AMD's
    website:

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...113741,00.html

    Check out either the ATI or AMD for more info, and you'll see that
    they're both branded similarly with the AMD logo everywhere.

    (If the "this" to which you were referring was some other part of the

  7. Re: new mainboard

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > CptDondo wrote:
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> As for videocards, ATI cards traditionally have very poor and unstable
    >>> drivers for the Linux kernel, but this /may/ change in the near
    >>> future, now
    >>> that AMD has purchased ATI and has announced to be releasing the ATI
    >>> drivers as Open Source to X.Org.

    >> ???? When did this happen? Any info on this?

    > (If the "this" to which you were referring was some other part of the

    I was referring to the Open Source part of the message.... Sorry, I got
    a bit incoherent in my excitement. :-)

    It would be really nice if AMD were to open source the drivers, or at
    least publish the hardware specs..... I haven't been able to find
    anything concrete, just a lot of hype.

    --Yan

  8. Re: new mainboard

    Ivan wrote:

    > hi all,
    > i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go
    > for the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as
    > far as compatibility is concerned? Is there any chipset or other feature
    > that is still not supported by linux?
    >
    > thanks
    > ivan

    Yes, I completely agree with Aragorn, just remember some of these small
    pointers and you'll be ok.

    If you can, buy Nvidia, their drivers are much easier to install and
    configure on linux than Ati's at the moment, and I do mean much more
    difficult, some cards simply won't work with Ati's linux driver.

    Try not to use any hardware that you think might be to exotic or rare, for
    example some "gaiming" network cards or sound cards are very difficult if
    not impossible to configure and use.

    Finally, for me at least, the rule of thumb is not to purchase any hardware
    newer than a year if I am going to run linux on it.

    Happy Hunting