Would a olympos fe-200 digital cam work with linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Would a olympos fe-200 digital cam work with linux? - Hardware ; Hi Im about to bye a digital camera, and I wonder, if there is a way to be sure, it'll work under linux. Its a olympos fe-200. Its a usb device. I have had a lot of bad experiences with ...

  1. Would a olympos fe-200 digital cam work with linux?

    Hi

    Im about to bye a digital camera, and I wonder, if there is a way to be
    sure, it'll work under linux. Its a olympos fe-200. Its a usb device.

    I have had a lot of bad experiences with hardware that would not work
    under linux, so I hope for someone to tell me, there is nothing to
    worry about.

    Greetings from Kresten
    Denmark.

  2. Re: Would a olympos fe-200 digital cam work with linux?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:17:00 -0800, krestenbuch wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Im about to bye a digital camera, and I wonder, if there is a way to be
    > sure, it'll work under linux. Its a olympos fe-200. Its a usb device.
    >
    > I have had a lot of bad experiences with hardware that would not work
    > under linux, so I hope for someone to tell me, there is nothing to
    > worry about.
    >
    > Greetings from Kresten
    > Denmark.

    Yes it will work. Worst case, with a USB card reader. I recently purchased
    a Kodak P850 (5MP 12x zoom) and kodak printer dock. Plug the dock and
    camera in, and it mounts as a disk drive.

    Crucial has some inexpensive USB card readers - they are USB 2.0 - many
    cameras are USB 1.1; and you save the camera batteries.

  3. Re: Would a olympos fe-200 digital cam work with linux?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:17:00 -0800, krestenbuch wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Im about to bye a digital camera, and I wonder, if there is a way to be
    > sure, it'll work under linux. Its a olympos fe-200. Its a usb device.
    >
    > I have had a lot of bad experiences with hardware that would not work
    > under linux, so I hope for someone to tell me, there is nothing to
    > worry about.
    >
    > Greetings from Kresten
    > Denmark.

    As long has the camera has a removable FLASH card, SD and Compact FLASH
    are the two that are most common, you'll have no trouble. There are a lot
    of cheap USB FLASH card readers that work with Linux. They are plug and
    play for the most part, you just plug the reader into a USB connector and
    then plug your card into the reader. The card will auto mount and you can
    use it just like any other drive. Gnome has a feature that autodetects
    JPEGs on a FLASH card, when you plug the card in it will pop up a dialog
    and ask you if you want the pictures copied to your home directory.

    There is a standard protocol for reading cameras which Linux also
    supports. I've had trouble with it in the past with my Canon SD500, it
    would crash the system. I haven't tried it in a year so that may be fixed
    by now. Also I find putting the SD card into a reader much more
    convenient than using a USB cable so I haven't had a reason to try it
    lately.

  4. Re: Would a olympos fe-200 digital cam work with linux?

    General Schvantzkoph skrev:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:17:00 -0800, krestenbuch wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Im about to bye a digital camera, and I wonder, if there is a way to be
    > > sure, it'll work under linux. Its a olympos fe-200. Its a usb device.
    > >
    > > I have had a lot of bad experiences with hardware that would not work
    > > under linux, so I hope for someone to tell me, there is nothing to
    > > worry about.
    > >
    > > Greetings from Kresten
    > > Denmark.

    > As long has the camera has a removable FLASH card, SD and Compact FLASH
    > are the two that are most common, you'll have no trouble. There are a lot
    > of cheap USB FLASH card readers that work with Linux. They are plug and
    > play for the most part, you just plug the reader into a USB connector and
    > then plug your card into the reader. The card will auto mount and you can
    > use it just like any other drive. Gnome has a feature that autodetects
    > JPEGs on a FLASH card, when you plug the card in it will pop up a dialog
    > and ask you if you want the pictures copied to your home directory.
    >
    > There is a standard protocol for reading cameras which Linux also
    > supports. I've had trouble with it in the past with my Canon SD500, it
    > would crash the system. I haven't tried it in a year so that may be fixed
    > by now. Also I find putting the SD card into a reader much more
    > convenient than using a USB cable so I haven't had a reason to try it
    > lately.

    Thank you all. That all I wanted to know. I buying my cam. Glad you
    spend the time helping me out.

    Greetings Kresten

+ Reply to Thread