Re: [Debian AMD64] ICH8/ESB2 Hardware RAID support on "testing" - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: [Debian AMD64] ICH8/ESB2 Hardware RAID support on "testing" - Hardware ; patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski wrote: > Hi, > > On a brand new server I have an ICH8/ESB2 chipset onboard. It features > RAID 0,1,10,5 capability. Unfortunately, if a create a RAID volume into > the chipset BIOS, this RAID ...

  1. Re: [Debian AMD64] ICH8/ESB2 Hardware RAID support on "testing"

    patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On a brand new server I have an ICH8/ESB2 chipset onboard. It features
    > RAID 0,1,10,5 capability. Unfortunately, if a create a RAID volume into
    > the chipset BIOS, this RAID volume remains unseen from the "testing"
    > install CD, and the installer will see all 4 HD like there is no RAID at
    > all.
    > The server BIOS allows me to load either Intel code or Adaptec code to
    > build my RAID, but none of them works with "testing".
    >
    > Is there any way to workaround this and to make a RAID volume usable by
    > the debian installer ? Any idea is welcome.
    >
    > the server:
    >
    > dmesg output:
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > patpro

    I do suspect you mean EM64T instead of AMD64. There are very slight
    differences in the instruction sets. EM64T would match ICH8 as both are
    Intel.

    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  2. Re: [Debian AMD64] ICH8/ESB2 Hardware RAID support on "testing"

    In article <88I9h.9754$yE6.381@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    joseph2k wrote:

    > patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > On a brand new server I have an ICH8/ESB2 chipset onboard. It features
    > > RAID 0,1,10,5 capability. Unfortunately, if a create a RAID volume into
    > > the chipset BIOS, this RAID volume remains unseen from the "testing"
    > > install CD, and the installer will see all 4 HD like there is no RAID at
    > > all.
    > > The server BIOS allows me to load either Intel code or Adaptec code to
    > > build my RAID, but none of them works with "testing".
    > >
    > > Is there any way to workaround this and to make a RAID volume usable by
    > > the debian installer ? Any idea is welcome.
    > >
    > > the server:
    > >
    > > dmesg output:
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > patpro
    > >

    > I do suspect you mean EM64T instead of AMD64. There are very slight
    > differences in the instruction sets. EM64T would match ICH8 as both are
    > Intel.

    No, I mean AMD64, because a "Debian EM64T" release does not exist

    But well, I've finnally figured out how to use the MD module from the
    install CD, so I've setup a software RAID.

    thanks,
    patpro

    --
    http://www.patpro.net/