IBM Keyboard problem with Ubuntu 6.10 - Hardware

This is a discussion on IBM Keyboard problem with Ubuntu 6.10 - Hardware ; Hi all, I have an IBM Keyboard (104 keys KB7953 model) and I'm trying to get it to work with my Ubuntu 6.10 distro, but I haven't succeeded so far. Any help about the issue? Thanks and bye. Gianma...

  1. IBM Keyboard problem with Ubuntu 6.10

    Hi all,

    I have an IBM Keyboard (104 keys KB7953 model) and I'm trying to get it
    to work with my Ubuntu 6.10 distro, but I haven't succeeded so far.

    Any help about the issue?

    Thanks and bye.
    Gianma

  2. Re: IBM Keyboard problem with Ubuntu 6.10

    Gianmario Iamoni wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an IBM Keyboard (104 keys KB7953 model) and I'm trying to get it
    > to work with my Ubuntu 6.10 distro, but I haven't succeeded so far.
    >
    > Any help about the issue?

    Not until you elaborate on the issue.

    Is this a USB or PS/2 keyboard (or something really strange)? What do
    you mean that it doesn't work? Do some keys work while others don't
    (e.g., the usual letters and numbers work but function keys or other
    special keys don't)? If nothing works under Linux, what about at POST
    time (i.e., can you use it to get into the BIOS setup screens and change
    settings there, or does it fail there too)?

    You need to describe as clearly as possible and in more detail exactly
    what the problem is.

  3. Re: IBM Keyboard problem with Ubuntu 6.10

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > Gianmario Iamoni wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have an IBM Keyboard (104 keys KB7953 model) and I'm trying to get
    >> it to work with my Ubuntu 6.10 distro, but I haven't succeeded so far.
    >>
    >> Any help about the issue?

    > Not until you elaborate on the issue.
    >
    > Is this a USB or PS/2 keyboard (or something really strange)? What do
    > you mean that it doesn't work? Do some keys work while others don't
    > (e.g., the usual letters and numbers work but function keys or other
    > special keys don't)? If nothing works under Linux, what about at POST
    > time (i.e., can you use it to get into the BIOS setup screens and
    > change settings there, or does it fail there too)?
    >
    > You need to describe as clearly as possible and in more detail exactly
    > what the problem is.

    Hi John-Paul,
    thanks for your consideration.

    You are right, my message was too generic and not very clear.

    My keyboard is a PS/2 one, and normal keys work fine, while some special
    chars (like #, for example) don't. Same problem with Win XP as well.

    Thanks again and bye.

  4. Re: IBM Keyboard problem with Ubuntu 6.10

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:23:01 GMT, Gianma67
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi John-Paul,
    >> thanks for your consideration.
    >>
    >> You are right, my message was too generic and not very clear.
    >>
    >> My keyboard is a PS/2 one, and normal keys work fine, while some special
    >> chars (like #, for example) don't. Same problem with Win XP as well.
    >>

    > If you have the same problem in Linux and Windows, you have a defective
    > keyboard.

    Indeed, it does sound like potentially faulty hardware.

    Given that the OP said that "normal" keys work fine (which includes
    numbers according to another post in this thread) but not the #
    character---which is on the same key as the number 3, at least in US
    keyboard layouts---it might be a faulty shift key in particular. But
    that assumes the OP is using a US keyboard layout.

    However, I think it is also possible that Linux (and Windows, too) are
    setup for a US keyboard layout while the OP is using something else. Or
    setup for something else while the keyboard itself is a US layout.

    I'm not sure off-hand how to change the keyboard layout settings for
    Linux console mode (nor for XP), but for X you would edit your xorg.conf
    file.

+ Reply to Thread