Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question - Hardware

This is a discussion on Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question - Hardware ; I'm considering upgrading to something that will handle a couple of VMWare that is also cable of idling at lower power when in standby, and it seems that the Core 2 Duo is currently the best option for this even ...

  1. Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question

    I'm considering upgrading to something that will handle a couple of
    VMWare that is also cable of idling at lower power when in standby, and
    it seems that the Core 2 Duo is currently the best option for this even
    if it's more expensive than older stuff.

    I've had a look at previous threads on motherboards to try and wade
    through the pitfalls of driver management and it seems that the Intel
    i965 chipset is a fairly good choice for most things I need. I primarily
    want to use a couple of SATA drives but retain use of my IDE DVD drive,
    and I also want a single serial port to talk to my UPS (I've used
    USB<>Serial converters but occasionally they get confused) although in a
    pinch I guess a PCI card would fix that.

    So, the crux of the matter is the JMicron chip that appears to be be
    used on most of these boards to provide the IDE interface necessary for
    the optical drive. reading around, there are issues with it that are
    apparently fixed in the 2.6.18 kernel, so my question probably comes in
    two parts:

    1. Is it possible to take an existing distribution, install and upgrade
    to the latest kernel or do I have to do it with something that starts
    with a 2.6.18 kernel before I can use the JMicron chip?

    2. Browsing some motherboards, the MSI P965-Platinum seems to do what I
    want, anyone got any comments for or against? I know it's not the only
    one but I have to start somewhere :-)
    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)

  2. Re: Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question

    Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:

    > 1. Is it possible to take an existing distribution, install and upgrade
    > to the latest kernel or do I have to do it with something that starts
    > with a 2.6.18 kernel before I can use the JMicron chip?

    You can install whatever distro you like and upgrade the kernel later,
    provided that installation doesn't require access to the drive(s) on the
    JMicron controller. IOW, you can't install from a CD-ROM connected to
    the JMicron chip unless you're installing a distro that supports the
    JMicron chip. But if you're doing, say network install of Debian and
    booting from floppy disk, then it's no problem to upgrade later.

    In short, whatever distro you install has to support all of the hardware
    you intend to use during the installation process. No more, no less.

  3. Re: Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question

    On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:11:35 -0500, John-Paul Stewart wrote:

    > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    >>
    >> 1. Is it possible to take an existing distribution, install and upgrade
    >> to the latest kernel or do I have to do it with something that starts
    >> with a 2.6.18 kernel before I can use the JMicron chip?

    > You can install whatever distro you like and upgrade the kernel later,
    > provided that installation doesn't require access to the drive(s) on the
    > JMicron controller. IOW, you can't install from a CD-ROM connected to
    > the JMicron chip unless you're installing a distro that supports the
    > JMicron chip. But if you're doing, say network install of Debian and
    > booting from floppy disk, then it's no problem to upgrade later.
    >
    > In short, whatever distro you install has to support all of the hardware
    > you intend to use during the installation process. No more, no less.

    There is a $29 SATA DVD ROM drive available from LITE ON, that's how I'm
    planning on solving the 965 install problem.

  4. Re: Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    >> 1. Is it possible to take an existing distribution, install and upgrade
    >> to the latest kernel or do I have to do it with something that starts
    >> with a 2.6.18 kernel before I can use the JMicron chip?

    > You can install whatever distro you like and upgrade the kernel later,
    > provided that installation doesn't require access to the drive(s) on the
    > JMicron controller. IOW, you can't install from a CD-ROM connected to
    > the JMicron chip unless you're installing a distro that supports the
    > JMicron chip. But if you're doing, say network install of Debian and
    > booting from floppy disk, then it's no problem to upgrade later.
    >
    > In short, whatever distro you install has to support all of the hardware
    > you intend to use during the installation process. No more, no less.

    There's talk of people getting the JMicron chip to talk to a generic IDE
    driver with varying degrees of success for install purposes. I think my
    braincell had exploded by the time I got that far. Failing that, it's a
    case of getting my IDE<>USB2 interface box out and seeing if I can boot
    from a DVD drive connected to that. Could be fun...

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)
    http://www.llondel.org
    So many gadgets, so little time

  5. Re: Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:11:35 -0500, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    >
    >> Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    >>> 1. Is it possible to take an existing distribution, install and upgrade
    >>> to the latest kernel or do I have to do it with something that starts
    >>> with a 2.6.18 kernel before I can use the JMicron chip?

    >> You can install whatever distro you like and upgrade the kernel later,
    >> provided that installation doesn't require access to the drive(s) on the
    >> JMicron controller. IOW, you can't install from a CD-ROM connected to
    >> the JMicron chip unless you're installing a distro that supports the
    >> JMicron chip. But if you're doing, say network install of Debian and
    >> booting from floppy disk, then it's no problem to upgrade later.
    >>
    >> In short, whatever distro you install has to support all of the hardware
    >> you intend to use during the installation process. No more, no less.

    > There is a $29 SATA DVD ROM drive available from LITE ON, that's how I'm
    > planning on solving the 965 install problem.

    That might be a good way to do it, I see they're also available in the
    UK, although nearer $40 by the time all the rip-off factors have been
    added in.

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)
    http://www.llondel.org
    So many gadgets, so little time

  6. Re: Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question

    Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:

    > There's talk of people getting the JMicron chip to talk to a generic IDE
    > driver with varying degrees of success for install purposes. I think my
    > braincell had exploded by the time I got that far. Failing that, it's a
    > case of getting my IDE<>USB2 interface box out and seeing if I can boot
    > from a DVD drive connected to that. Could be fun...

    I managed to get SuSE 10.2 rc1 to start an install from a flash drive
    tonight on an MSI P965 Neo with a core 2 duo E6400. I'm going to try the CD
    tomorrow. My current problem is that the mobo has a Realtek 8110SC nic (no
    driver, natch), and I can't do a network install. Expensive doorstop so
    far!

    --
    Wake

  7. Re: Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question

    Wakeley Purple wrote:
    > tomorrow. My current problem is that the mobo has a Realtek 8110SC nic (no
    > driver, natch), and I can't do a network install. Expensive doorstop so
    > far!

    Search linux+8110SC. Looks like a patch was submitted to Debian back in
    September:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/kernel-s.../msg02484.html

  8. Re: Yet another Core 2 Duo Motherboard Question

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:11:35 -0500, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    >
    > > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Is it possible to take an existing distribution, install and upgrade
    > >> to the latest kernel or do I have to do it with something that starts
    > >> with a 2.6.18 kernel before I can use the JMicron chip?

    > > You can install whatever distro you like and upgrade the kernel later,
    > > provided that installation doesn't require access to the drive(s) on the
    > > JMicron controller. IOW, you can't install from a CD-ROM connected to
    > > the JMicron chip unless you're installing a distro that supports the
    > > JMicron chip. But if you're doing, say network install of Debian and
    > > booting from floppy disk, then it's no problem to upgrade later.
    > >
    > > In short, whatever distro you install has to support all of the hardware
    > > you intend to use during the installation process. No more, no less.

    > There is a $29 SATA DVD ROM drive available from LITE ON, that's how I'm
    > planning on solving the 965 install problem.

    Please let us know how it works out. I was not careful enough and ended
    up with
    plextor 755SA. That drive sucks big time: constantly spinning up and
    down
    when a dvd is in driving me nuts. Was not cheap too at about $90.
    Writes disks very nicely and rips beatifully. But ergonomics is just
    terrible.
    I wonder how lite on would work out for you ergomonics and
    cdparanoia-wise.
    I'm PATAless with PDSBA and am in a need for a sata dvd rom with good
    ergos.

+ Reply to Thread