cannot ping/telnet from linux to storage (DS300 TotalStorage). - Hardware

This is a discussion on cannot ping/telnet from linux to storage (DS300 TotalStorage). - Hardware ; Hello, I connect the management port of controller B of IBM totalStorage DS300 with a cross cable to a linux machine. According to DS300 docs, the default IP address of controller B is 192.168.70.124/255.255.0.0. see 4.4.1 Setup of management ports ...

  1. cannot ping/telnet from linux to storage (DS300 TotalStorage).

    Hello,
    I connect the management port of controller B of IBM totalStorage
    DS300 with a cross cable to a linux machine.
    According to DS300 docs, the default IP address of controller B is
    192.168.70.124/255.255.0.0.
    see 4.4.1 Setup of management ports of TotalStorage DS300 and DS400
    in
    IBM TotalStorage - DS300 and DS400 / Best Practices Guide.
    So I set the linux ip address to 192.168.70.1/255.255.0.0.

    while pinging 192.168.70.124 , I power up controller B of
    IBM totalStorage. I tried three times this power down and
    power up; I get some answers for this ping (about 4 or 5)
    and then there are no answers. Also of course there is no
    telnet to 192.168.70.124.

    Could it be that someone had changed the IP ?
    an in case it is so - how can I see the real IP address ?

    Regards,
    Ian

  2. Re: cannot ping/telnet from linux to storage (DS300 TotalStorage).

    ianbrn@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I connect the management port of controller B of IBM totalStorage
    > DS300 with a cross cable to a linux machine.
    > According to DS300 docs, the default IP address of controller B is
    > 192.168.70.124/255.255.0.0.
    > see 4.4.1 Setup of management ports of TotalStorage DS300 and DS400
    > in
    > IBM TotalStorage - DS300 and DS400 / Best Practices Guide.
    > So I set the linux ip address to 192.168.70.1/255.255.0.0.
    >
    > while pinging 192.168.70.124 , I power up controller B of
    > IBM totalStorage. I tried three times this power down and
    > power up; I get some answers for this ping (about 4 or 5)
    > and then there are no answers. Also of course there is no
    > telnet to 192.168.70.124.
    >
    > Could it be that someone had changed the IP ?
    > an in case it is so - how can I see the real IP address ?

    It seems plausible.

    If the thing follows the common practice of probing its
    own IP at start with gratuitous ARPs, get an Ethernet
    sniffer (tcpdump, Ethereal, Tethereal or Wireshark) and
    look for ARP packets with the proper MAC from the IBM box.

    HTH

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. Re: cannot ping/telnet from linux to storage (DS300 TotalStorage).

    >Do you have a DHCP server? If so,
    >check the leases file. Otherwise, I think this could be a firewall
    >problem

    Definitely - this is not the problem.
    I connect that DS300 directly to a linux machine. These 2 machines are
    not connected
    anywhere else.
    And I also tried the following:
    the same on connecter A
    Pinging ALL ip addresses in the range 192.168.70.0-192.168.70.255.
    and none answered (except the linux machine).
    Any ideas?
    Ian

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 22 Nov 2006 11:56:21 -0800, ianbrn@gmail.com
    > wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I connect the management port of controller B of IBM totalStorage
    > > DS300 with a cross cable to a linux machine.
    > > According to DS300 docs, the default IP address of controller B is
    > > 192.168.70.124/255.255.0.0.
    > > see 4.4.1 Setup of management ports of TotalStorage DS300 and DS400
    > > in
    > > IBM TotalStorage - DS300 and DS400 / Best Practices Guide.
    > > So I set the linux ip address to 192.168.70.1/255.255.0.0.
    > >
    > > while pinging 192.168.70.124 , I power up controller B of
    > > IBM totalStorage. I tried three times this power down and
    > > power up; I get some answers for this ping (about 4 or 5)
    > > and then there are no answers. Also of course there is no
    > > telnet to 192.168.70.124.
    > >
    > > Could it be that someone had changed the IP ?
    > > an in case it is so - how can I see the real IP address ?
    > >

    > You say you get some responses to the ping and then you don't. Who could
    > have changed the IP in those seconds? Do you have a DHCP server? If so,
    > check the leases file. Otherwise, I think this could be a firewall
    > problem or the storage device may be defective. Does this device have
    > only a telnet interface and not a web interface? Did you try browsing
    > http://192.168.70.124 ?
    >

    > --
    > The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late
    > and owns the worm farm.
    > -- Travis McGee

+ Reply to Thread