PS/2 keybd doesn't work with USB mouse - Hardware

This is a discussion on PS/2 keybd doesn't work with USB mouse - Hardware ; I'm running Ubuntu Dapper on a system that dual-boots with MS Windows. (Under normal circumstances the latter is rarely, if ever, used.) I had been using PS/2-type mouse and keyboard on this system, but the PS/2 mouse port on the ...

  1. PS/2 keybd doesn't work with USB mouse

    I'm running Ubuntu Dapper on a system that dual-boots with MS Windows. (Under
    normal circumstances the latter is rarely, if ever, used.)

    I had been using PS/2-type mouse and keyboard on this system, but the PS/2
    mouse port on the motherboard suddently stopped working. (No PS/2 mouse that
    was tried would work in either Dapper or Windoze.) A USB mouse was connected
    in place of the PS/2 unit. Dapper picked up the USB mouse automagically with
    no problem, but now the PS/2 keyboard does not work, cannot log into the GUI
    or switch virtual screens! The keyboard and USB mouse work fine together on
    the Windows side of the system, and the keyboard works fine to access the
    system BIOS, so it's not a hardware problem. (Have not tried a USB keyboard
    as I do not have one handy and want to keep my present genuine IBM PS/2
    keyboard if at all possible.)

    Anyone know the proper mystical incantations needed to get the PS/2 keyboard
    working in conjunction with the USB mouse? Thanks for any help with this,
    I really prefer not to use Windows but am stuck with it on this system until
    the problem is sorted out...

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

  2. Re: PS/2 keybd doesn't work with USB mouse

    Roger Blake wrote:
    > I'm running Ubuntu Dapper on a system that dual-boots with MS Windows. (Under
    > normal circumstances the latter is rarely, if ever, used.)
    >
    > I had been using PS/2-type mouse and keyboard on this system, but the PS/2
    > mouse port on the motherboard suddently stopped working. (No PS/2 mouse that
    > was tried would work in either Dapper or Windoze.) A USB mouse was connected
    > in place of the PS/2 unit. Dapper picked up the USB mouse automagically with
    > no problem, but now the PS/2 keyboard does not work, cannot log into the GUI
    > or switch virtual screens! The keyboard and USB mouse work fine together on
    > the Windows side of the system, and the keyboard works fine to access the
    > system BIOS, so it's not a hardware problem. (Have not tried a USB keyboard
    > as I do not have one handy and want to keep my present genuine IBM PS/2
    > keyboard if at all possible.)
    >
    > Anyone know the proper mystical incantations needed to get the PS/2 keyboard
    > working in conjunction with the USB mouse? Thanks for any help with this,
    > I really prefer not to use Windows but am stuck with it on this system until
    > the problem is sorted out...

    Could you post the "InputDevice" sections of your xorg.conf file? If
    you only have one set of mouse and keyboard, there really shouldn't be
    any problem, but I would try another input driver (evdev for example, if
    you are currently using the normal "keyboard" driver).

    Oh, and the input initialization part of the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    might be of help too (usually the laste couple of screens or so).

    Mike

  3. Re: PS/2 keybd doesn't work with USB mouse

    In article , Michael Panev wrote:
    > Could you post the "InputDevice" sections of your xorg.conf file? If

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    (The xorg.conf file is pretty much as installed by Ubuntu, the only changes
    made were to accomodate the proprietary Nvidia display driver, and those
    changes predate this problem.)

    > you only have one set of mouse and keyboard, there really shouldn't be
    > any problem, but I would try another input driver (evdev for example, if
    > you are currently using the normal "keyboard" driver).

    There is just one mouse and keyboard. I'm not familiar with the "evdev"
    driver, but can give it a try.

    > Oh, and the input initialization part of the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    > might be of help too (usually the laste couple of screens or so).

    I didn't see anything that looked like keyboard-related errors there,
    but here it is:

    (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024"
    (II) Loading extension NV-GLX
    (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
    (**) Option "dpms"
    (**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
    (II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
    (==) RandR enabled
    (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
    (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
    (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
    (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
    (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE
    (II) Initializing extension GLX
    error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
    (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
    (**) Generic Keyboard: Core Keyboard
    (**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
    (**) Generic Keyboard: Protocol: standard
    (**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    (**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    (**) Generic Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
    (**) Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    (**) Generic Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc104"
    (**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    (**) Generic Keyboard: XkbLayout: "us"
    (**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
    (**) Generic Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
    (**) Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
    (**) Option "CorePointer"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    (**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
    (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    (**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
    (**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 9
    (**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
    (**) stylus: always reports core events
    (**) stylus device is /dev/wacom
    (**) stylus is in absolute mode
    (**) stylus: forcing TabletPC ISD V4 protocol
    (**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
    (**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"
    (**) stylus: serial speed 9600
    (**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
    (**) cursor: always reports core events
    (**) stylus device is /dev/wacom
    (**) stylus is in absolute mode
    (**) stylus: forcing TabletPC ISD V4 protocol
    (**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
    (**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"
    (**) stylus: serial speed 9600
    (**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
    (**) cursor: always reports core events
    (**) cursor device is /dev/wacom
    (**) cursor is in relative mode
    (**) cursor: forcing TabletPC ISD V4 protocol
    (**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
    (**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"
    (**) cursor: serial speed 9600
    (**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
    (**) eraser: always reports core events
    (**) eraser device is /dev/wacom
    (**) eraser is in absolute mode
    (**) eraser: forcing TabletPC ISD V4 protocol
    (**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
    (**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"
    (**) eraser: serial speed 9600
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "eraser" (type: Wacom Eraser)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "cursor" (type: Wacom Cursor)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "stylus" (type: Wacom Stylus)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type: Other)
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    No such file or directory.
    Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    No such file or directory.
    Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    No such file or directory.
    Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    No such file or directory.
    Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    No such file or directory.
    Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    No such file or directory.
    (II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

  4. Re: PS/2 keybd doesn't work with USB mouse

    I've done some more testing and it looks like this problem runs deeper
    than just X. Even booting up in "recovery mode" at the console, there
    is no response from the keyboard. (No change if the mouse is disconnected.)
    I also tried some CD distributions with mixed results. This is how things
    stack up at the moment with the PS/2 keyboard:

    BIOS: OK
    Windows: OK
    Ubuntu Dapper: NG (Bootloader OK)
    Knoppix 4.03: NG (Bootloader OK)
    Puppy Linux 2.02: NG (Bootloader OK)
    Knoppix 3.3: OK (!)

    As can be seen, recent distributions seem to be having a problem
    recognizing the PS/2 keyboard (though in all cases the bootloader
    selection screens work). However, a relatively old version of Knoppix
    works with no problem. Knoppix 3.3 uses a 2.4 kernel and does not
    use udev to set up the devices. So it seems that for whatever reason
    distributions using the 2.6 series kernel and/or udev are running
    into problems. This is very bizarre because everything was working
    fine keyboard-wise until I plugged that USB mouse into the system.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

  5. Re: PS/2 keybd doesn't work with USB mouse

    Roger Blake wrote:
    > In article , Michael Panev wrote:
    >> Could you post the "InputDevice" sections of your xorg.conf file?

    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    > Driver "kbd"
    > Option "CoreKeyboard"
    > Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    > Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    > Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    > EndSection
    >
    > There is just one mouse and keyboard. I'm not familiar with the "evdev"
    > driver, but can give it a try.

    Basically, you just have to replace 'Driver "kbd"' with 'Driver
    "evdev"' and add an

    Option "Device" ""

    The above path is something like /dev/input/eventN with N=0,1,2...
    The exact number depends on what input devices you have plugged in. You
    can either try them all to find out, or 'cat /proc/bus/input/devices'
    and look in the Handlers line for the respective device.

    > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
    > (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    > No such file or directory.
    > Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
    > (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    > No such file or directory.
    > Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
    > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
    > (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    > No such file or directory.

    I'd try to disable that wacom thingy, just to be sure it doesn't
    interfere...

    Mike

  6. Re: PS/2 keybd doesn't work with USB mouse

    I wound up 'fixing' the problem by using an adapter to connect my PS/2
    keyboard to one of the motherboard USB ports. That works OK in everything
    I've tried so far. All I can figure is that the PS/2 hardware on the
    motherboard went a little funny in the head, affecting different
    software in different ways.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)