Sometimes /dev/ttyUSB0 sometimes /dev/ttyUSB2 - Hardware

This is a discussion on Sometimes /dev/ttyUSB0 sometimes /dev/ttyUSB2 - Hardware ; I have a GPS receiver and an aircard and the GPS shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 every 2 reboots and /dev/ttyUSB2 the next 2 times I reboot. I am using debian sarge. Is there a config file I need to edit ...

  1. Sometimes /dev/ttyUSB0 sometimes /dev/ttyUSB2

    I have a GPS receiver and an aircard and the GPS shows up as
    /dev/ttyUSB0 every 2 reboots and /dev/ttyUSB2 the next 2 times I
    reboot. I am using debian sarge. Is there a config file I need to edit
    to specify which one to set it as.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Sometimes /dev/ttyUSB0 sometimes /dev/ttyUSB2

    JC wrote:

    > I have a GPS receiver and an aircard and the GPS shows up as
    > /dev/ttyUSB0 every 2 reboots and /dev/ttyUSB2 the next 2 times I
    > reboot. I am using debian sarge. Is there a config file I need to edit
    > to specify which one to set it as.
    >
    > Thanks!

    If you're using a kernel versioned 2.6.* then you can use udev.

  3. Re: Sometimes /dev/ttyUSB0 sometimes /dev/ttyUSB2

    Miguel De Anda wrote:
    > JC wrote:
    >
    >> I have a GPS receiver and an aircard and the GPS shows up as
    >> /dev/ttyUSB0 every 2 reboots and /dev/ttyUSB2 the next 2 times I
    >> reboot. I am using debian sarge. Is there a config file I need to edit
    >> to specify which one to set it as.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > If you're using a kernel versioned 2.6.* then you can use udev.

    I am using a 2.6 kernel, could you explain udev a bit or point me in the
    right direction.

    I am using my /dev/ttyUSB0 as a serial port, mine always comes up as 0
    but if I stop and start it or unplug it it goes to /dev/ttyUSB1.
    To get it back to 0 I just unplug the usb end and replug it.

    Brian

+ Reply to Thread