Which OS may I run on Dell E521? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Which OS may I run on Dell E521? - Hardware ; Hello everyone, I've bought one dell E521 and which use intel 965G chipset and ICH8 south-bridge chip, when I try to install Red Hat AS3, I found the H.D not be recognized, even the cdrom driver(SATA port). Later I tried ...

  1. Which OS may I run on Dell E521?

    Hello everyone,

    I've bought one dell E521 and which use intel 965G chipset and ICH8
    south-bridge chip, when I try to install Red Hat AS3, I found the H.D not be
    recognized, even the cdrom driver(SATA port). Later I tried Centos 4.4, I
    get the same trouble. How should I resolve it? which os may work well on it?

    Have a good day!

    B.R.

    Joffre

  2. Re: Which OS may I run on Dell E521?

    On 2006-11-21, tech11 wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I've bought one dell E521 and which use intel 965G chipset and ICH8
    > south-bridge chip, when I try to install Red Hat AS3, I found the H.D not be
    > recognized, even the cdrom driver(SATA port). Later I tried Centos 4.4, I
    > get the same trouble. How should I resolve it? which os may work well on it?

    Give FC6 a shot. If that works (which it should), you can migrate to
    centos-5 when it comes out.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering

  3. Re: Which OS may I run on Dell E521?

    Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    > On 2006-11-21, tech11 wrote:
    > > Hello everyone,
    > >
    > > I've bought one dell E521 and which use intel 965G chipset and ICH8
    > > south-bridge chip, when I try to install Red Hat AS3, I found the H.D not be
    > > recognized, even the cdrom driver(SATA port). Later I tried Centos 4.4, I
    > > get the same trouble. How should I resolve it? which os may work well on it?
    > >

    > Give FC6 a shot. If that works (which it should), you can migrate to
    > centos-5 when it comes out.

    I second that.
    FC6 works ok on my g965. But hdd access is very slow and I can't enable
    dma for the drive
    (all fc updates are installed). 2.6.18.1-something.fc6

    I suspect the kernel needs upgrading to 19rc?

    On the bright side i810 works fine for simple x11 apps (except mplayer
    which hangs X11 or Xv
    extension). I need to compile 965 x11 and dri drivers, but that does
    not work as seamlessly as you might think it should. I probably need to
    get all xorg/drivers tree.

    Anyhow, FC6 seems like a good starting point. Even suspend works!

+ Reply to Thread