control system fan with software - Hardware

This is a discussion on control system fan with software - Hardware ; Dear group, is it possible to control the system fan with software tools? I am using linux 2.6 and a board from MSI (K8T Neo2). I would like to spin down or turn it off by software. Thank you very ...

  1. control system fan with software

    Dear group,

    is it possible to control the system fan with software tools?

    I am using linux 2.6 and a board from MSI (K8T Neo2).

    I would like to spin down or turn it off by software.

    Thank you very much,
    Magnus

  2. Re: control system fan with software

    Magnus Warker wrote:
    > Dear group,
    >
    > is it possible to control the system fan with software tools?
    >
    > I am using linux 2.6 and a board from MSI (K8T Neo2).
    >
    > I would like to spin down or turn it off by software.

    If your MB allows it, you can.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  3. Re: control system fan with software

    Dear Giovanni,

    if my MB allows it: How can I actually control the fan? Is it a tool that I
    can download somewhere?

    Thank you,
    Magnus

    Giovanni wrote:

    >> is it possible to control the system fan with software tools?

    > If your MB allows it, you can.

  4. Re: control system fan with software

    Magnus Warker wrote:
    > Dear Giovanni,
    >
    > if my MB allows it: How can I actually control the fan? Is it a tool that I
    > can download somewhere?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Magnus
    >
    > Giovanni wrote:
    >
    >>> is it possible to control the system fan with software tools?

    >> If your MB allows it, you can.

    Check for the 'acpi' functionality in your kernel.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  5. Re: control system fan with software

    Dear Giovanni,

    my kernel has support for acpi, as shown below.

    I assume that ACPI_FAN is important for me. But how can I actually modify
    the fan?

    Thank you,
    Magnus

    Giovanni wrote:
    > Check for the 'acpi' functionality in your kernel.

    #
    # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
    #
    CONFIG_ACPI=y
    CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
    CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
    # CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_SLEEP is not set
    CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
    CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
    CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
    CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=y
    # CONFIG_ACPI_HOTKEY is not set
    CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
    CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
    CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
    CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
    # CONFIG_ACPI_IBM is not set
    CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
    CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
    # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
    CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
    CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
    CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
    CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER=y
    # CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER is not set

  6. Re: control system fan with software

    Magnus Warker wrote:

    > my kernel has support for acpi, as shown below.
    >
    > I assume that ACPI_FAN is important for me. But how can I actually modify
    > the fan?

    I have no idea about the ACPI fan module, but with your board it should
    be possible to load the w83627hf (or a similar) module - try
    sensors-detect from the lm-sensors package. You should get "pwm*" files
    somewhere in /sys/devices/platform (try 'find /sys/devices/platform
    -name "pwm*"').

    If you have these "files", you can write to them, e.g. with "echo" in a
    shell script, and read them with "cat". There is also a ruby script that
    reads the temperature sensors and sets the fans to your liking,
    . And there are a "fancontrol" Bash
    script and a "fancontrol.pl" Perl script in the lm-sensors package.

    Regards...
    Michael

  7. Re: control system fan with software

    Magnus Warker wrote:
    > Dear Giovanni,
    >
    > my kernel has support for acpi, as shown below.
    >
    > I assume that ACPI_FAN is important for me. But how can I actually modify
    > the fan?

    Check the lmsensors package. It has the utilities to monitor and
    control the fan.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  8. Re: control system fan with software

    Dear Michael,

    thank you very much for your hints.

    After sensors-detect, I got modules to load, and after loading i2c-viapro,
    i2c-isa and w83627hf, I got:

    /sys/devices/platform/i2c-9191/9191-0290/pwm3
    /sys/devices/platform/i2c-9191/9191-0290/pwm2
    /sys/devices/platform/i2c-9191/9191-0290/pwm1

    The files have the following contents:

    pwm1: 240
    pwm2: 240
    pwm3: 0

    I am a bit afraid of simply echoing arbitrary things into these files. Is
    there a documentation? Can I get hardware damage?

    Thanks,
    Magnus

    Michael Mauch wrote:

    > Magnus Warker wrote:
    >
    >> my kernel has support for acpi, as shown below.
    >>
    >> I assume that ACPI_FAN is important for me. But how can I actually modify
    >> the fan?

    > I have no idea about the ACPI fan module, but with your board it should
    > be possible to load the w83627hf (or a similar) module - try
    > sensors-detect from the lm-sensors package. You should get "pwm*" files
    > somewhere in /sys/devices/platform (try 'find /sys/devices/platform
    > -name "pwm*"').
    >
    > If you have these "files", you can write to them, e.g. with "echo" in a
    > shell script, and read them with "cat". There is also a ruby script that
    > reads the temperature sensors and sets the fans to your liking,
    > . And there are a "fancontrol" Bash
    > script and a "fancontrol.pl" Perl script in the lm-sensors package.
    >
    > Regards...
    > Michael

  9. Re: control system fan with software

    Magnus Warker wrote:

    > After sensors-detect, I got modules to load, and after loading i2c-viapro,
    > i2c-isa and w83627hf, I got:
    >
    > /sys/devices/platform/i2c-9191/9191-0290/pwm3
    > /sys/devices/platform/i2c-9191/9191-0290/pwm2
    > /sys/devices/platform/i2c-9191/9191-0290/pwm1
    >
    > The files have the following contents:
    >
    > pwm1: 240
    > pwm2: 240
    > pwm3: 0

    Ok, great.

    > I am a bit afraid of simply echoing arbitrary things into these files. Is
    > there a documentation?

    has a lot of documentation, and there's
    "man pwmconfig" and "man fancontrol".

    > Can I get hardware damage?

    Probably yes, if you stop your fans (using too small values) and the CPU
    gets too hot. You can watch the output of the sensors program ("watch
    sensors") or use ksensors or gkrellm or any other lm-sensors aware
    program. Watch the temperatures and your CPU/board should be safe.

    Regards...
    Michael

  10. Re: control system fan with software

    Dear Michael,

    thanks for your answer. In the meantime I wrote arbitrary numbers into the
    files, without any recognizable changes in the FAN's speed.

    Then, after a friend told me that, I wrote arbitrary numbers, which are
    potencies of 2, without newlines (echo -n) into the files. But this also
    resulted in no changes.

    Then I looked again at the output of sensors-detect, and it told me that
    k8temp is not available. I found that it is not part of my kernel (2.6.16)
    and not part of the current stable version (2.6.18). It is part of the
    kernel since 2.6.19.

    Do you believe the missing module is the problem? If so, I would think about
    installing the required kernel version, although it's a productive system.

    Thanks a lot,
    Magnus

  11. Re: control system fan with software

    Magnus Warker wrote:

    > thanks for your answer. In the meantime I wrote arbitrary numbers into the
    > files, without any recognizable changes in the FAN's speed.
    >
    > Then, after a friend told me that, I wrote arbitrary numbers, which are
    > potencies of 2, without newlines (echo -n) into the files. But this also
    > resulted in no changes.

    Strange.

    > Then I looked again at the output of sensors-detect, and it told me that
    > k8temp is not available. I found that it is not part of my kernel (2.6.16)
    > and not part of the current stable version (2.6.18). It is part of the
    > kernel since 2.6.19.

    My board has the same chipset as yours (K8T800 Pro), although on a
    different board (Asus A8V Deluxe). The pwm controls work ever since I
    bought the board in December last year. I'm only using the i2c_isa,
    w83627hf, i2c_viapro modules (and i2c_dev built into the kernel).

    Maybe you can google for the exact error message that you got?

    Did you try pwmconfig?

    > Do you believe the missing module is the problem? If so, I would think about
    > installing the required kernel version, although it's a productive system.

    I don't know, but as your board is not really new anymore I doubt that
    this is a kernel problem that has only recently been fixed.

    Regards...
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread