Won't boot if I add SATA drives - Hardware

This is a discussion on Won't boot if I add SATA drives - Hardware ; I have a system that boots (using LILO) from an IDE (PATA) drive. The system also has a Silicon Image SATA adapter. If I actually connect any SATA drives to the card, LILO does not boot (still trying to boot ...

  1. Won't boot if I add SATA drives

    I have a system that boots (using LILO) from an IDE (PATA) drive.

    The system also has a Silicon Image SATA adapter. If I actually connect
    any SATA drives to the card, LILO does not boot (still trying to boot off
    the PATA drive). It gets as far as "LIL". The system will boot off a
    rescue CD, although it did not make the SATA drives available (there were
    a number of messages relating to the ata interface).

    Does anyone have any clues on what might be wrong?

    According to LILO's documentation, it could be a geometry problem, yet how
    should this be affected by the presence of a SATA drive?

  2. Re: Won't boot if I add SATA drives

    Whoever wrote:
    > I have a system that boots (using LILO) from an IDE (PATA) drive.
    >
    > The system also has a Silicon Image SATA adapter. If I actually connect
    > any SATA drives to the card, LILO does not boot (still trying to boot
    > off the PATA drive). It gets as far as "LIL". The system will boot off a
    > rescue CD, although it did not make the SATA drives available (there
    > were a number of messages relating to the ata interface).
    >
    > Does anyone have any clues on what might be wrong?
    >
    > According to LILO's documentation, it could be a geometry problem, yet
    > how should this be affected by the presence of a SATA drive?

    Boot with the rescue CD, mount your system on the PATA and then chroot into
    your system where after you reinstall lilo.

    Not sure, but I image it will fix your troubles.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Won't boot if I add SATA drives

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Whoever wrote:
    >> I have a system that boots (using LILO) from an IDE (PATA) drive.
    >>
    >> The system also has a Silicon Image SATA adapter. If I actually connect
    >> any SATA drives to the card, LILO does not boot (still trying to boot off
    >> the PATA drive). It gets as far as "LIL". The system will boot off a
    >> rescue CD, although it did not make the SATA drives available (there were
    >> a number of messages relating to the ata interface).
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any clues on what might be wrong?
    >>
    >> According to LILO's documentation, it could be a geometry problem, yet how
    >> should this be affected by the presence of a SATA drive?

    > Boot with the rescue CD, mount your system on the PATA and then chroot into
    > your system where after you reinstall lilo.
    >
    > Not sure, but I image it will fix your troubles.

    It's a good idea. I should have mentioned that I tried this already.

  4. Re: Won't boot if I add SATA drives

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:14:04 -0800, Whoever staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> Whoever wrote:
    >>> I have a system that boots (using LILO) from an IDE drive. The
    >>> system also has a Silicon Image SATA adapter. If I actually connect
    >>> any SATA drives to the card, LILO does not boot off the IDE drive.
    >>> It gets as far as "LIL". The system will boot off a rescue CD,
    >>> although it did not make the SATA drives available

    It's not much of a rescue CD if it doesn't have proper SiS SATA support.
    This is weird, but there's probably a solution somewhere. You mentioned
    "error messages about the ATA subsystem" when you tried this rescue CD.
    Can you reproduce those?

    >>> According to LILO's documentation, it could be a geometry problem,
    >>> yet how should this be affected by the presence of a SATA drive?

    Strange things can happen when you have a mixed SATA/IDE system. On my
    desktop, if the BIOS boot order is set to (IDE CD-ROM,SATA), GRUB sees
    the SATA disk as (hd2). If the BIOS boot order is set to (SATA,IDE
    CD-ROM), GRUB sees the SATA disk as (hd0). Have you tried using GRUB
    instead? Its shell can be really useful when stupid things happen to
    the bootloader config.

    >> Boot with the rescue CD, mount your system on the PATA and then
    >> chroot into your system where after you reinstall lilo. Not sure,
    >> but I image it will fix your troubles.

    > It's a good idea. I should have mentioned that I tried this already.

    Yep. Always say what you tried, and how it failed; it prevents people
    from covering already-covered ground.

    --
    Back in my day, all we had were 0's. We painted them different colors
    to tell them apart. Once this started bogging the processes down, we

  5. Re: Won't boot if I add SATA drives

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, Dances With Crows wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:14:04 -0800, Whoever staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:

    > It's not much of a rescue CD if it doesn't have proper SiS SATA support.
    > This is weird, but there's probably a solution somewhere. You mentioned
    > "error messages about the ATA subsystem" when you tried this rescue CD.
    > Can you reproduce those?

    Probably, but not just at the moment. I should have written them down, but
    since my intent was to re-install LILO, and I could do this, I wasn't too
    concerned. It may just be that a newer rescue CD would work better.

    > Strange things can happen when you have a mixed SATA/IDE system. On my
    > desktop, if the BIOS boot order is set to (IDE CD-ROM,SATA), GRUB sees
    > the SATA disk as (hd2). If the BIOS boot order is set to (SATA,IDE
    > CD-ROM), GRUB sees the SATA disk as (hd0). Have you tried using GRUB
    > instead? Its shell can be really useful when stupid things happen to
    > the bootloader config.

    I am going to try GRUB, perhaps it won't be so sensitive to the drive
    geometry?

+ Reply to Thread