find out linux kernel version - Hardware

This is a discussion on find out linux kernel version - Hardware ; I am Linux newbie. I just installed Linux 9, but I need to know the kernel version. How do i find out? I need to make the kernel version should be 2.4 or 2.6 please advice. thanks......

  1. find out linux kernel version

    I am Linux newbie. I just installed Linux 9, but I need to know the
    kernel version. How do i find out? I need to make the kernel version
    should be 2.4 or 2.6

    please advice. thanks...

  2. Re: find out linux kernel version

    On 18 Nov 2006 14:28:01 -0800, Steve wrote:
    > I am Linux newbie. I just installed Linux 9, but I need to know the
    > kernel version. How do i find out? I need to make the kernel version
    > should be 2.4 or 2.6

    uname -r

  3. Re: find out linux kernel version

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:28:01 -0800, Steve wrote:

    > I am Linux newbie. I just installed Linux 9, but I need to know the
    > kernel version. How do i find out? I need to make the kernel version
    > should be 2.4 or 2.6
    >
    > please advice. thanks...

    uname -a

  4. Re: find out linux kernel version

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:28:01 -0800, Steve wrote:

    > I am Linux newbie. I just installed Linux 9, but I need to know the
    > kernel version. How do i find out? I need to make the kernel version
    > should be 2.4 or 2.6
    >
    > please advice. thanks...

    'cat /proc/version' will do it along with the command: uname -r

    Stef

  5. Re: find out linux kernel version

    In comp.os.linux.hardware Steve :
    > I am Linux newbie. I just installed Linux 9, but I need to know the

    There is no such thing as "Linux 9", random guess you mean RH 9?

    You shouldn't install such an old and EOL distro, just that you
    have the CDs flying around is no reason, if you like RH do
    yourself a big favor, get your hands on FC6 (Free RH version with
    latest stuff - http://fedora.redhat.com/) and install it. This
    should ease up things pretty much for you.

    > kernel version. How do i find out? I need to make the kernel version
    > should be 2.4 or 2.6

    uname -r
    cat /proc/version

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 208: Your mail is being routed through Germany
    .... and they're censoring us.

+ Reply to Thread