Re: Are Uncorrectable Errors Acceptable? SMART thinks so. - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: Are Uncorrectable Errors Acceptable? SMART thinks so. - Hardware ; On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:53:56 -0800, neik wrote: > I have a RAID array with several Hitachi Deskstar discs. I'm rally, really sorry. And I'm not joking, either. The IBM Deskstar series is notorious for having almost as big ...

  1. Re: Are Uncorrectable Errors Acceptable? SMART thinks so.

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:53:56 -0800, neik wrote:

    > I have a RAID array with several Hitachi Deskstar discs.

    I'm rally, really sorry.
    And I'm not joking, either.

    The IBM Deskstar series is notorious for having almost as big a fallout of
    bad drives as the proverbial Quantum Bigfoot did about 5 years earlier.

    Dump the drive, and get a decent replacement ASAP.

    Western Digital and Samsung make the best drives these days.

    J.

  2. Re: Are Uncorrectable Errors Acceptable? SMART thinks so.

    Jeroen Geilman wrote:

    > Western Digital and Samsung make the best drives these days.

    Hmm. I currently have two WD SATA drives that appear to be duplicates
    (by serial number) of ones already existing in another country. I'm
    still waiting for WD to get back to me to explain themselves.

    In fact of my 4 Hitachi drives one has already been swapped out, one
    generates the UNC errors and one just started generating AMNF errors,
    which also result in data loss. The trouble is Hitachi are only
    interested in the output of their Drive Fitness Test, which is just
    says everything is peachy. I can't really afford to throw drives out: I
    need to get them swapped.

  3. Re: Are Uncorrectable Errors Acceptable? SMART thinks so.

    neik@mailshack.com wrote:

    > Jeroen Geilman wrote:
    >
    >> Western Digital and Samsung make the best drives these days.

    > Hmm. I currently have two WD SATA drives that appear to be duplicates
    > (by serial number) of ones already existing in another country. I'm
    > still waiting for WD to get back to me to explain themselves.
    >
    > In fact of my 4 Hitachi drives one has already been swapped out, one
    > generates the UNC errors and one just started generating AMNF errors,
    > which also result in data loss. The trouble is Hitachi are only
    > interested in the output of their Drive Fitness Test, which is just
    > says everything is peachy. I can't really afford to throw drives out: I
    > need to get them swapped.

    A question: how much is your data worth compared to the price of a few
    drives?

    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

+ Reply to Thread