5.1 surround sound on ALSA - Hardware

This is a discussion on 5.1 surround sound on ALSA - Hardware ; Hello. I'd like to enable 5.1 sound under ALSA 1.0.13, but I can't. The page on alsa.opensrc.org says to try aplay -Dsurround51 wavfile but it doesn't use the right soundcard (it tries on my first soundcard, which is not 5.1-able). ...

  1. 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    Hello.

    I'd like to enable 5.1 sound under ALSA 1.0.13, but I can't.

    The page on alsa.opensrc.org says to try

    aplay -Dsurround51 wavfile

    but it doesn't use the right soundcard (it tries on my first soundcard,
    which is not 5.1-able).

    How can I tell it to use my other soundcard instead of the 1st one?

    Thanks.

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  2. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    On 17 Nov 2006 19:24:12 GMT, Fabrice DELENTE wrote:

    >Hello.

    >I'd like to enable 5.1 sound under ALSA 1.0.13, but I can't.

    >The page on alsa.opensrc.org says to try

    >aplay -Dsurround51 wavfile

    >but it doesn't use the right soundcard (it tries on my first soundcard,
    >which is not 5.1-able).

    >How can I tell it to use my other soundcard instead of the 1st one?

    man aplay

  3. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    Fabrice DELENTE wrote:

    > How can I tell it to use my other soundcard instead of the 1st one?

    Have you read the stuff about multiple sound cards at
    http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards ?

  4. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    > man aplay

    I've read the manpage, but I don't see anything relevant.

    Any hint?

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  5. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    > > How can I tell it to use my other soundcard instead of the 1st one?

    > Have you read the stuff about multiple sound cards at
    > http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards ?

    Yes, I have already read and used that to setup the system; the problem is,
    the order of my cards is now set and I don't want to change it; surround51
    is defined for the default card in share/alsa.conf, and I don't see how to
    enable it for a card that is not the default.

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  6. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    On 17 Nov 2006 20:27:49 GMT, Fabrice DELENTE wrote:

    >> man aplay

    >I've read the manpage, but I don't see anything relevant.

    >Any hint?

    You're asking how to select the sound card?
    Use the -D switch.

  7. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    > You're asking how to select the sound card?
    > Use the -D switch.

    No, I'm asking how to enable surround sound on my 3rd soundcard. There's a
    surround51 pcm, but it wants to use my 1st soundcard. I can use my 3rd card,
    but only in stereo. How do I use the surround51 pm with my 3rd soundcard.

    À bientôt.

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

    SVP, ne m'envoyez pas de pièces jointes aux formats Word, PowerPoint, RTF
    (formats propriétaires). Utilisez des formats libres comme txt, html,
    OpenOffice.Org ou PDF. Merci. Voir
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-wor...hments.fr.html

  8. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    "Fabrice DELENTE" wrote in message
    > > You're asking how to select the sound card?
    > > Use the -D switch.

    > No, I'm asking how to enable surround sound on my 3rd soundcard. There's a
    > surround51 pcm, but it wants to use my 1st soundcard. I can use my 3rd

    card,
    > but only in stereo. How do I use the surround51 pm with my 3rd soundcard.
    >
    > À bientôt.
    > --
    > Fabrice DELENTE
    >
    > SVP, ne m'envoyez pas de pièces jointes aux formats Word, PowerPoint, RTF
    > (formats propriétaires). Utilisez des formats libres comme txt, html,
    > OpenOffice.Org ou PDF. Merci. Voir
    > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-wor...hments.fr.html

    Sometimes the solution is to change the hardware. Go with one sound
    subsytem that works and does what you want.

    later.....

  9. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    > Sometimes the solution is to change the hardware. Go with one sound
    > subsytem that works and does what you want.

    Well the hardware is capable, since it's a Soundblaster Audigy SE, which is
    a 7.1 card. So it should do what I want; the only problem is knowing which
    parameters to give to alsa.

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  10. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    Fabrice DELENTE wrote:
    >>> How can I tell it to use my other soundcard instead of the 1st one?

    >> Have you read the stuff about multiple sound cards at
    >> http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards ?

    > Yes, I have already read and used that to setup the system; the problem is,
    > the order of my cards is now set and I don't want to change it; surround51
    > is defined for the default card in share/alsa.conf, and I don't see how to
    > enable it for a card that is not the default.

    Ahh, I see. Can you try adding the following stanza to your ~/.asoundrc
    file:

    pcm.!surround51 {
    type hw
    card X
    }

    Note that X should be replaced with the proper number for the desired
    card, which can be obtained from /proc/asound/cards.

    That *should* override the default definition for the "surround51"
    device you want to use and route it to the card you...I think. (I gave
    up on the multiple card thing a while ago and just disabled the on-board
    sound to use the good card instead. So my memory of these things is a
    little rusty and I have no way to test it.)

  11. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    Thanks for the update.

    > Ahh, I see. Can you try adding the following stanza to your ~/.asoundrc
    > file:

    > pcm.!surround51 {
    > type hw
    > card X
    > }

    > Note that X should be replaced with the proper number for the desired
    > card, which can be obtained from /proc/asound/cards.

    Done.

    I can't try with xmms, since I don't have appropriate WAV or MP3 files.

    However, it doesn't work with a DVD in mplayer:

    mplayer dvd://1 -aid 128 -ao alsa:device=surround40 -channels 4

    gives

    AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 4 ch, s16le, 384.0 kbit/12.50% (ratio: 48000->384000)
    Selected audio codec: [a52] afm: liba52 (AC3-liba52)
    AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Starting playback...

    so the file is 4-channels but is played as 2-channels...

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  12. Re: 5.1 surround sound on ALSA

    > > Sometimes the solution is to change the hardware. Go with one sound
    > > subsytem that works and does what you want.

    > Well the hardware is capable, since it's a Soundblaster Audigy SE, which

    is
    > a 7.1 card. So it should do what I want; the only problem is knowing which
    > parameters to give to alsa.
    > --
    > Fabrice DELENTE

    I was mostly thinking of removing the other sound cards.

    later.....

+ Reply to Thread