PDSBA shuts down when memtest86 runs for about 6-8 hours - Hardware

This is a discussion on PDSBA shuts down when memtest86 runs for about 6-8 hours - Hardware ; Could you try running memtest86 overnight on your core duo systems? I can't on Supermicro PDSBA. The system shuts down overnight when I memtest even though I have installed Thermalright HR-05 northbridge cooler AND an an 80mm fan zip tied ...

  1. PDSBA shuts down when memtest86 runs for about 6-8 hours

    Could you try running memtest86 overnight on your core duo systems? I
    can't on Supermicro PDSBA.
    The system shuts down overnight when I memtest even though I have
    installed Thermalright HR-05
    northbridge cooler AND an an 80mm fan zip tied to it. There is a
    prodigious amount of
    thermal paste on the northbridge chip and I use the cushion pad that
    came with HR-05.
    In some case the power led is on in some it's off. I have C1&C3
    powersaving states
    and any other powersaving bios feature I could find enabled to keep the
    system cooler
    when the linux is up since I doubt these states can be entered during
    memtest.
    That should not be a problem, should it?

    I run memtest86 twice and am afraid to do it again since I don't want
    to RMA the board second time around.
    I don't think it's the heat that causes that: on short memtest runs
    when I quickly reboot into
    Hardware Monitor during post cpu temp is 34-36C and system temp is 40C
    when the 80mm NB fan is on.
    (CPU runs way cooler than my northbridge even after HR-05 was
    installed. Makes me wonder
    why no motherboard maker connects the northbridge with heatpipes to the
    cpu instead of the VRs since CPU
    heatsinks these days are very substantial and can cool both chips
    efficiently)

    I'm most instersted in results on g965 boards with northbridge
    heatsinks that do not heat up
    VRs and possibly southbridge.

    The memory is 667 ecc unbuffered Kingston. I'm not cooling the memory
    chips but, then, my system is not overclocked either.

    Thank you!

  2. Re: PDSBA shuts down when memtest86 runs for about 6-8 hours

    sndive@gmail.com wrote:
    > Could you try running memtest86 overnight on your core duo systems? I
    > can't on Supermicro PDSBA.
    > The system shuts down overnight when I memtest even though I have
    > installed Thermalright HR-05
    > northbridge cooler AND an an 80mm fan zip tied to it. There is a
    > prodigious amount of
    > thermal paste on the northbridge chip and I use the cushion pad that
    > came with HR-05.

    That "prodigious amount of thermal paste" and "the cushion pad" combined
    may actually be causing overheating. The idea behind the thermal paste
    (or the pads used instead of paste) is to fill in the tiny, microscopic
    surface irregularities on the top of the chip and the bottom of the
    heatsink to ensure the best possible contact. If the stuff is applied
    too thickly then it just gets in the way and renders the heatsink useless.

    For example, the Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound's heat conductivity is
    specified for a layer 0.001 inches thick, and other documentation
    mentions a thickness of 0.003 inches. Thus, their small tube is enough
    to cover an area 4 inches by 4 inches at that thickness---many times
    larger than your Northbridge. Other thermal pastes need to be applied
    similarly sparingly.

    My recommendation at this point would be to remove your cooling setup,
    clean off the "prodigious amount of thermal paste" you've used (using
    proper cleaning techniques---read up on it first if you're not familiar
    with the process and cleaners needed) and re-install using only a tiny
    amount of thermal paste---if you feel you must re-install your cooling
    setup. SuperMicro has a great reputation for engineering. Are you sure
    you even need an add-on cooling solution for their board?

  3. Re: PDSBA shuts down when memtest86 runs for about 6-8 hours

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > sndive@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Could you try running memtest86 overnight on your core duo systems? I
    > > can't on Supermicro PDSBA.
    > > The system shuts down overnight when I memtest even though I have
    > > installed Thermalright HR-05
    > > northbridge cooler AND an an 80mm fan zip tied to it. There is a
    > > prodigious amount of
    > > thermal paste on the northbridge chip and I use the cushion pad that
    > > came with HR-05.

    > That "prodigious amount of thermal paste" and "the cushion pad" combined
    > may actually be causing overheating. The idea behind the thermal paste
    > (or the pads used instead of paste) is to fill in the tiny, microscopic
    > surface irregularities on the top of the chip and the bottom of the
    > heatsink to ensure the best possible contact. If the stuff is applied
    > too thickly then it just gets in the way and renders the heatsink useless.
    >
    > For example, the Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound's heat conductivity is
    > specified for a layer 0.001 inches thick, and other documentation
    > mentions a thickness of 0.003 inches. Thus, their small tube is enough
    > to cover an area 4 inches by 4 inches at that thickness---many times
    > larger than your Northbridge. Other thermal pastes need to be applied
    > similarly sparingly.
    >
    > My recommendation at this point would be to remove your cooling setup,
    > clean off the "prodigious amount of thermal paste" you've used (using
    > proper cleaning techniques---read up on it first if you're not familiar
    > with the process and cleaners needed) and re-install using only a tiny
    > amount of thermal paste---if you feel you must re-install your cooling
    > setup. SuperMicro has a great reputation for engineering. Are you sure
    > you even need an add-on cooling solution for their board?\

    Yes. It was running extremely hot with the supermicro heatsink.
    I got rid of the cushion pad a few days back thinking that it's too
    thick preventing
    good contact with the northbridge chip, but that did not resolve the
    problem.
    I'll try to get some memory trashing application (an equivalent of
    memtest86
    that works from linux) once I get cpufreq working on fc6 to monitor
    temperatures.
    Btw xv works fine after I loaded their recent updates that included a
    newer i810 driver.
    I forgot to mention that I neglected to follow the silentsquare
    mounting instructions
    and the fan on the cpu heatsink is blowing air towards the psu as
    opposed to the back
    of the case. I thought this arrangement would allow for better(passive)
    cpu cooling
    in an event of a cpu fan failure since I don't have the exhaust fan in
    that case.
    But now I think that maybe all the extra hot air is causing psu
    failure.
    The psu is a thermaltake silent variety (470W) with a 120 mm intake fan
    and no exhaust fan.
    There are no temperature sensors in the psu that can be accessed by
    cpufreq like utilities, are there?

+ Reply to Thread