Re: How find if new motherboard chipset supported in Linux kernel - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: How find if new motherboard chipset supported in Linux kernel - Hardware ; Moe Trin wrote: > On 12 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article > , James Harris wrote: > > >How can I check whether a motherboard is sufficiently supported by > >Linux before buying? > > Organization: ...

  1. Re: How find if new motherboard chipset supported in Linux kernel

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 12 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    > <1163376658.576651.99880@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.c om>, James Harris wrote:
    >
    > >How can I check whether a motherboard is sufficiently supported by
    > >Linux before buying?

    > Well, you _are_ posting from a search engine - did you ever think to try
    > looking up the make/model and the word Linux?

    Yes, of course. I found scores of pages with the word "linux" somewhere
    on them, links to linux pages, or saying the web page was hosted on a
    linux server. IIRC one or two of the Abit ones were helpful but the
    gigabyte ones were rubbish. I was hoping there was a better way........

  2. Re: How find if new motherboard chipset supported in Linux kernel

    On 16 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    <1163721841.386623.320060@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>, James Harris wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> James Harris wrote:

    >>> How can I check whether a motherboard is sufficiently supported by
    >>> Linux before buying?

    >> Well, you _are_ posting from a search engine - did you ever think to try
    >> looking up the make/model and the word Linux?

    >Yes, of course. I found scores of pages with the word "linux" somewhere
    >on them, links to linux pages, or saying the web page was hosted on a
    >linux server.

    Linux distributors usually have lists of supported hardware. The problem
    with those lists is that they tend to be quite out of date. Where I get
    the best results is by searching the newsgroup archives. Invariably,
    there will be someone who absolutely has to be the first person in the
    world to own something, and posts the good/bad news of whether it works
    or not.

    >IIRC one or two of the Abit ones were helpful but the
    >gigabyte ones were rubbish.

    Maybe Abit is a good bet then. Maybe Gigabyte is not.

    >I was hoping there was a better way........

    Posting a "Does the $FOO model $BAR motherboard work" question to a news
    group will elicit replies from those who may read the article and happen to
    have the answer. Using a search engine - especially if searching the news
    groups lets you see the available knowledge from a far greater number of
    individuals. I don't know if Zen provides a news server, but the one I'm
    posting from has over 1100 newsgroups with the word 'linux' in the name.
    There are only 17 "sanctioned" big-8 Linux news groups (comp.os.linux.*)
    but this server carries those plus 12 more, as well as 11 'alt.linux*'
    and 45 'alt.os.linux*' groups and so on. I've no idea how many google is
    archiving at the moment, but _usually_ the answer is in there..

    Several years ago, there was a wonderful resource run by Rob Clark called
    the "Winmodems are not modems" website (referenced in the Modem-HOWTO among
    others). This site listed nearly 1500 different make/model modems, along
    with a key of works/doesn't. The unique advantage of the page was that it
    also had email links to those who reported that the $FOO model $BAR modem
    worked. You could click on those links, and send a polite email asking for
    help with it. In the majority of cases, this worked. I was listed as a
    contact for five different modems, and used to receive several mails each
    week asking for help - which I gladly provided. Unfortunately, that web
    page has fallen into disuse - partially because spammers discovered it
    held over a thousand working email addresses who _must_ want to receive
    offers of all kinds.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread