SB: ICH8 support (Supermicro PDSBA mobo) - Hardware

This is a discussion on SB: ICH8 support (Supermicro PDSBA mobo) - Hardware ; What's a recommended (pref. stable) kernel version with ICH8 support? Anything in 2.4.x line? hdparm -t reports 12MB/s under MEPIS and 4.2MB/s under Slackware 11 I can do much better even with usb HDDs :-[ DistroWatch: Imagine that sucky mepis ...

  1. SB: ICH8 support (Supermicro PDSBA mobo)

    What's a recommended (pref. stable) kernel version with ICH8 support?
    Anything in 2.4.x line?
    hdparm -t reports 12MB/s under MEPIS and 4.2MB/s under Slackware 11
    I can do much better even with usb HDDs :-[

    DistroWatch:
    Imagine that sucky mepis installed a unpiprocessor kernel on my core
    duo 2 system!

  2. Re: SB: ICH8 support (Supermicro PDSBA mobo)

    Hi

    In article <1163704429.222003.308870@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    sndive@gmail.com wrote:

    > What's a recommended (pref. stable) kernel version with ICH8 support?
    > Anything in 2.4.x line?

    I'm currently testing a Debian AMD64 "testing" installation on a
    Supermicro ICH8 motherboard.

    the server:

    dmesg output:

    The box sports 4 Raptor SATA HDs, one with a system install (sdd1), and
    the 3 others in software RAID5 (md0, created with MD) :

    # hdparm -t /dev/sdd1

    /dev/sdd1:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 208 MB in 3.01 seconds = 69.08 MB/sec

    # hdparm -t /dev/md0

    /dev/md0:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 414 MB in 3.00 seconds = 138.00 MB/sec

    > hdparm -t reports 12MB/s under MEPIS and 4.2MB/s under Slackware 11
    > I can do much better even with usb HDDs :-[

    patpro

    --
    http://www.patpro.net/

  3. Re: SB: ICH8 support (Supermicro PDSBA mobo)

    sndive@gmail.com wrote:

    > What's a recommended (pref. stable) kernel version with ICH8 support?
    > Anything in 2.4.x line?
    > hdparm -t reports 12MB/s under MEPIS and 4.2MB/s under Slackware 11
    > I can do much better even with usb HDDs :-[
    >
    > DistroWatch:
    > Imagine that sucky mepis installed a unpiprocessor kernel on my core
    > duo 2 system!

    I get between 30 and 75 MB/s in ICH8. Seems to be quite inconsistent and
    system response is quite slow when i have high disc activity. Kernel is
    2.6.18 SMP and the CPU is a Core2Duo.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.