Intel Quad Core performance on CentOS 5.2 is slower - Hardware

This is a discussion on Intel Quad Core performance on CentOS 5.2 is slower - Hardware ; Hello everyone, I recently got a system with the following specs: * Intel Quad Core 2.5Ghz with 1333Mhz FSB 6MB L2 cache * 4GB DDR2 memory * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200rpm hard disk * Geforce 8400gs graphics card (fanless) ...

  1. Intel Quad Core performance on CentOS 5.2 is slower

    Hello everyone,

    I recently got a system with the following specs:

    * Intel Quad Core 2.5Ghz with 1333Mhz FSB 6MB L2 cache
    * 4GB DDR2 memory
    * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200rpm hard disk
    * Geforce 8400gs graphics card (fanless) (I installed the most recent
    driver)

    I installed CentOS 5.2 (kernel 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5) on this machine. I
    expected the system to be faster compared to my another machine (Intel
    P4 CPU 2.53 GHz, 1GB RAM) assuming it makes effective use of 4 cores.

    However, the system is slow while running any application. When I
    check the processor usage in the system monitor, it shows only one
    core being used most of the time. Load on other cores is 1-3% during
    this time.

    Any idea what I should check on my system and how can I make it
    faster? It takes lot of time even in booting up and executing simple
    commands on the terminal.

    Sincerely,

    Kumar Vijay Mishra.

  2. Re: Intel Quad Core performance on CentOS 5.2 is slower

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:12:01 -0800, viz wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I recently got a system with the following specs:
    >
    > * Intel Quad Core 2.5Ghz with 1333Mhz FSB 6MB L2 cache * 4GB DDR2 memory
    > * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200rpm hard disk * Geforce 8400gs
    > graphics card (fanless) (I installed the most recent driver)
    >
    > I installed CentOS 5.2 (kernel 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5) on this machine. I
    > expected the system to be faster compared to my another machine (Intel
    > P4 CPU 2.53 GHz, 1GB RAM) assuming it makes effective use of 4 cores.
    >
    > However, the system is slow while running any application. When I check
    > the processor usage in the system monitor, it shows only one core being
    > used most of the time. Load on other cores is 1-3% during this time.
    >
    > Any idea what I should check on my system and how can I make it faster?
    > It takes lot of time even in booting up and executing simple commands on
    > the terminal.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Kumar Vijay Mishra.

    Unless your application is specifically coded for parallel optimization
    you won't see any significant speed up no matter how many cores or cpus
    you throw at it. If you try running three or four applications or three or
    four instances of the same one, you should see more than one processor
    loaded and see appropriate speed ups.

  3. Re: Intel Quad Core performance on CentOS 5.2 is slower

    On Nov 10, 9:38 pm, ray wrote:

    > Unless your application is specifically coded for parallel optimization
    > you won't see any significant speed up no matter how many cores or cpus
    > you throw at it. If you try running three or four applications or three or
    > four instances of the same one, you should see more than one processor
    > loaded and see appropriate speed ups.

    Thanks ray for your reply. I can understand that it is more for the
    applications to make use of the multi-core cpu. But what alarms me is
    that this machine is even slower than my Intel P4, 1GB Ram one. It
    takes a lot of time for simple tasks like downloading files over
    internet (the connections are same for both the machines), executing
    commands like vi, cd, tar etc. Isn't that unusual?

  4. Re: Intel Quad Core performance on CentOS 5.2 is slower

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:12:01 -0800, viz wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I recently got a system with the following specs:
    >
    > * Intel Quad Core 2.5Ghz with 1333Mhz FSB 6MB L2 cache * 4GB DDR2 memory
    > * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200rpm hard disk * Geforce 8400gs
    > graphics card (fanless) (I installed the most recent driver)
    >
    > I installed CentOS 5.2 (kernel 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5) on this machine. I
    > expected the system to be faster compared to my another machine (Intel
    > P4 CPU 2.53 GHz, 1GB RAM) assuming it makes effective use of 4 cores.
    >
    > However, the system is slow while running any application. When I check
    > the processor usage in the system monitor, it shows only one core being
    > used most of the time. Load on other cores is 1-3% during this time.
    >
    > Any idea what I should check on my system and how can I make it faster?
    > It takes lot of time even in booting up and executing simple commands on
    > the terminal.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Kumar Vijay Mishra.

    Try setting the speed governor to Performance to see if that makes a
    difference.

    echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    If it does, put a modern kernel on the system or switch to a modern
    distro like Fedora. I have a 2.6.24.7 kernel on my CentOS5.2 box, I
    wasn't able to get anything newer than that to boot on CentOS but .24 is
    a lot newer than .18.

  5. Re: Intel Quad Core performance on CentOS 5.2 is slower

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:35:17 -0800, viz wrote:

    > On Nov 10, 9:38 pm, ray wrote:
    >>
    >> Unless your application is specifically coded for parallel optimization
    >> you won't see any significant speed up no matter how many cores or cpus
    >> you throw at it. If you try running three or four applications or three
    >> or four instances of the same one, you should see more than one
    >> processor loaded and see appropriate speed ups.

    > Thanks ray for your reply. I can understand that it is more for the
    > applications to make use of the multi-core cpu. But what alarms me is
    > that this machine is even slower than my Intel P4, 1GB Ram one. It takes
    > a lot of time for simple tasks like downloading files over internet (the
    > connections are same for both the machines), executing commands like vi,
    > cd, tar etc. Isn't that unusual?

    Should be about the same. Have you checked your internet connection - made
    sure you have the best interface driver; checked hdparm output?

  6. Re: Intel Quad Core performance on CentOS 5.2 is slower

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 04:12:01 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, viz
    wrote:

    > Any idea what I should check on my system and how can I make it
    > faster? It takes lot of time even in booting up and executing simple
    > commands on the terminal.

    Have you tried to narrow down where the bottleneck is? Run hdparm -tT /dev/sda
    (or whatever your hard disk is) and see if you get decent numbers from it. Try
    running a memtest86 boot CD and making sure that looks ok too. How about running
    glxgears and getting fps numbers from that - not great indicators but the only
    way I can think of of getting video performance stats.

    A Core2Quad should be faster per megahertz than an old P4 - we have 2.66GHz quad
    core Xeons at work that are faster than 3GHz P4 Xeons per core.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

+ Reply to Thread