Centos 5.2 on Proliant 8000 installation woes - Hardware

This is a discussion on Centos 5.2 on Proliant 8000 installation woes - Hardware ; Hello, I am trying to install Centos 5.2 on an old Proliant 8000. It's been a workhorse, currently running RHEL 3, but we want to put on a new application that requires a newer kernel. The machine is configured with ...

  1. Centos 5.2 on Proliant 8000 installation woes

    Hello,

    I am trying to install Centos 5.2 on an old Proliant 8000. It's been
    a workhorse, currently running RHEL 3, but we want to put on a new
    application that requires a newer kernel. The machine is configured
    with eight 700MHz Xeon's, a 4250ES disk array (3 UltraSCSI3's) and a
    dozen drives. It's loud, noisy, uses way too much power and just
    works - can't remember it ever being down.

    What happens when I boot is the process consistently stops with this
    error:

    PNP PS2 Controller[PN0303:KBD,PNP0f0e:PS2M) at 0x60, 0x64 irq 1,12

    The Centos 5.2 Live CD dies with the known bug about kernel memory.

    A colleague just stopped by and said he had the same problem trying to
    install Oracle Enterprise Linux 5, so this is looking more like a
    generic problem (or at least, RH-originated if it's a bug). Then
    again, RHES3 is still cruising along on it, so I'm thinking it's not
    necessarily a driver issue.

    The BIOS date shows 2003, if that is of any import. I checked that
    the BIOS was expecting Linux (there are one or two places to indicate
    that). There are two logical volumes, one RAID 5 for the OS, one RAID
    1+0 for data. All is done at the h/w level.

    I tried booting with noapic, noacpi, with the timer set to pmtmr, all
    to no avail.

    Has anyone seen this before?

    Thank you.

    jh

  2. Re: Centos 5.2 on Proliant 8000 installation woes

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:10:57 -0700, jared wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to install Centos 5.2 on an old Proliant 8000. It's been a
    > workhorse, currently running RHEL 3, but we want to put on a new
    > application that requires a newer kernel. The machine is configured
    > with eight 700MHz Xeon's, a 4250ES disk array (3 UltraSCSI3's) and a
    > dozen drives. It's loud, noisy, uses way too much power and just works
    > - can't remember it ever being down.
    >
    > What happens when I boot is the process consistently stops with this
    > error:
    >
    > PNP PS2 Controller[PN0303:KBD,PNP0f0e:PS2M) at 0x60, 0x64 irq 1,12
    >
    > The Centos 5.2 Live CD dies with the known bug about kernel memory.
    >
    > A colleague just stopped by and said he had the same problem trying to
    > install Oracle Enterprise Linux 5, so this is looking more like a
    > generic problem (or at least, RH-originated if it's a bug). Then again,
    > RHES3 is still cruising along on it, so I'm thinking it's not
    > necessarily a driver issue.
    >
    > The BIOS date shows 2003, if that is of any import. I checked that the
    > BIOS was expecting Linux (there are one or two places to indicate that).
    > There are two logical volumes, one RAID 5 for the OS, one RAID 1+0 for
    > data. All is done at the h/w level.
    >
    > I tried booting with noapic, noacpi, with the timer set to pmtmr, all to
    > no avail.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this before?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > jh

    There is a beta of CentOS 5.3 available, give that one a try. The Beta
    period is the one time that CentOS users can get problems in RHEL fixed.
    If the beta doesn't fix the problem you'll be able to submit a bug report
    and get the issue addressed.

    http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/ce...er/067057.html

  3. Re: Centos 5.2 on Proliant 8000 installation woes

    On Oct 30, 6:24*pm, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:10:57 -0700, jared wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I am trying to install Centos 5.2 on an old Proliant 8000. *It's beena
    > > workhorse, currently running RHEL 3, but we want to put on a new
    > > application that requires a newer kernel. *The machine is configured
    > > with eight 700MHz Xeon's, a 4250ES disk array (3 UltraSCSI3's) and a
    > > dozen drives. *It's loud, noisy, uses way too much power and just works
    > > - can't remember it ever being down.

    > > What happens when I boot is the process consistently stops with this
    > > error:

    > > PNP PS2 Controller[PN0303:KBD,PNP0f0e:PS2M) at 0x60, 0x64 irq 1,12

    > > The Centos 5.2 Live CD dies with the known bug about kernel memory.

    > > A colleague just stopped by and said he had the same problem trying to
    > > install Oracle Enterprise Linux 5, so this is looking more like a
    > > generic problem (or at least, RH-originated if it's a bug). *Then again,
    > > RHES3 is still cruising along on it, so I'm thinking it's not
    > > necessarily a driver issue.

    > > The BIOS date shows 2003, if that is of any import. *I checked that the
    > > BIOS was expecting Linux (there are one or two places to indicate that)..
    > > *There are two logical volumes, one RAID 5 for the OS, one RAID 1+0 for
    > > data. *All is done at the h/w level.

    > > I tried booting with noapic, noacpi, with the timer set to pmtmr, all to
    > > no avail.

    > > Has anyone seen this before?

    > > Thank you.

    > > jh

    > There is a beta of CentOS 5.3 available, give that one a try. The Beta
    > period is the one time that CentOS users can get problems in RHEL fixed.
    > If the beta doesn't fix the problem you'll be able to submit a bug report
    > and get the issue addressed.
    >
    > http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/ce...er/067057.html

    It turned out to be a known hardware problem with the i8042 subsystem
    (keyboard and mouse). To get around it, boot with these switches:

    noapic i8042.noacpi i8042.nomux i8042.noaux

    and it works like a charm.

    jh

  4. Re: Centos 5.2 on Proliant 8000 installation woes

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:44:08 -0700, jared wrote:

    > On Oct 30, 6:24*pm, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:10:57 -0700, jared wrote:
    >> > Hello,

    >> > I am trying to install Centos 5.2 on an old Proliant 8000. *It's been
    >> > a workhorse, currently running RHEL 3, but we want to put on a new
    >> > application that requires a newer kernel. *The machine is configured
    >> > with eight 700MHz Xeon's, a 4250ES disk array (3 UltraSCSI3's) and a
    >> > dozen drives. *It's loud, noisy, uses way too much power and just
    >> > works - can't remember it ever being down.

    >> > What happens when I boot is the process consistently stops with this
    >> > error:

    >> > PNP PS2 Controller[PN0303:KBD,PNP0f0e:PS2M) at 0x60, 0x64 irq 1,12

    >> > The Centos 5.2 Live CD dies with the known bug about kernel memory.

    >> > A colleague just stopped by and said he had the same problem trying
    >> > to install Oracle Enterprise Linux 5, so this is looking more like a
    >> > generic problem (or at least, RH-originated if it's a bug). *Then
    >> > again, RHES3 is still cruising along on it, so I'm thinking it's not
    >> > necessarily a driver issue.

    >> > The BIOS date shows 2003, if that is of any import. *I checked that
    >> > the BIOS was expecting Linux (there are one or two places to indicate
    >> > that).
    >> > *There are two logical volumes, one RAID 5 for the OS, one RAID 1+0
    >> > *for
    >> > data. *All is done at the h/w level.

    >> > I tried booting with noapic, noacpi, with the timer set to pmtmr, all
    >> > to no avail.

    >> > Has anyone seen this before?

    >> > Thank you.

    >> > jh

    >> There is a beta of CentOS 5.3 available, give that one a try. The Beta
    >> period is the one time that CentOS users can get problems in RHEL
    >> fixed. If the beta doesn't fix the problem you'll be able to submit a
    >> bug report and get the issue addressed.
    >>
    >> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/ce...er/067057.html

    > It turned out to be a known hardware problem with the i8042 subsystem
    > (keyboard and mouse). To get around it, boot with these switches:
    >
    > noapic i8042.noacpi i8042.nomux i8042.noaux
    >
    > and it works like a charm.
    >
    > jh

    You should still try the CentOS 5.3 beta and submit a bug report if it
    hasn't been fixed, it will be helpful to you in the future and the
    community in general.

  5. Re: Centos 5.2 on Proliant 8000 installation woes

    I demand that jared may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > What happens when I boot is the process consistently stops with this error:

    > PNP PS2 Controller[PN0303:KBD,PNP0f0e:PS2M) at 0x60, 0x64 irq 1,12

    ?

    That's not an error...

    [snip]
    | + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    Do not believe everything you hear or anything you say.

+ Reply to Thread