Error Messages - "over-current change on port 1" - Hardware

This is a discussion on Error Messages - "over-current change on port 1" - Hardware ; I decided to install Debian 4.0r4a on my older computer and am seeing a couple of error messages when I use the command line (not when I have the terminal window open in KDE). When I googled the problem I ...

  1. Error Messages - "over-current change on port 1"

    I decided to install Debian 4.0r4a on my older computer and am seeing
    a couple of error messages when I use the command line (not when I
    have the terminal window open in KDE). When I googled the problem I found
    a number of references to it, but no information about how to resolve it.
    The error messages are:

    "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1"

    and/or

    "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2"

    These messages will always display near the end of the boot
    process and will always interrupt my typing when I first try to enter the
    password to log in. After that the messages appear at random times and
    will sometimes seem to hang the system for a short period of time.

    I've read that this has something to do with the USB ports, but I only
    have my printer connected to the USP port (it hasn't been installed
    yet...). I have not only removed the printer's USB cable, I even
    unplugged the cables from the mobo, but the error messages continue.

    I'm having trouble installing the drivers for my printer (I don't think
    that problem is related to the "over-current problem) so I don't know if
    the USB ports are working. However, the USB ports always worked fine
    under Win98SE.

    Does someone have an idea of what is going on?

    TIA,
    Harry

  2. Re: Error Messages - "over-current change on port 1"

    HarryB wrote:
    > I decided to install Debian 4.0r4a on my older computer and am seeing
    > a couple of error messages when I use the command line (not when I
    > have the terminal window open in KDE). When I googled the problem I
    > found a number of references to it, but no information about how to
    > resolve it. The error messages are:
    >
    > "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1"
    >
    > and/or
    >
    > "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2"

    Hi Harry,

    I see very similar messages on my laptop and while I do not know their
    true origin (beyond that it's likely to be USB related) I don't think
    they are errors messages or warnings, they are merely just for feedback
    purposes.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  3. Re: Error Messages - "over-current change on port 1"

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:57:03 +0000, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:57:03 +0000, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

    > HarryB wrote:
    >> I decided to install Debian 4.0r4a on my older computer and am seeing
    >> a couple of error messages when I use the command line (not when I
    >> have the terminal window open in KDE). When I googled the problem I
    >> found a number of references to it, but no information about how to
    >> resolve it. The error messages are:
    >>
    >> "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1"
    >>
    >> and/or
    >>
    >> "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2"

    > Hi Harry,
    >
    > I see very similar messages on my laptop and while I do not know their
    > true origin (beyond that it's likely to be USB related) I don't think
    > they are errors messages or warnings, they are merely just for feedback
    > purposes.

    The reason I was concerned about this is because when I am using the
    command line, the system sometimes, but not always, seems to freeze after
    these messages appear and the command prompt does not reappear until I hit
    .

    If this is simply an inconvenience while using the command line, that is
    no problem for this newbie. However, if it means that the system is being
    slowed down by these messages while I'm using KDE, then I would like to see
    if I can fix this.

    Harry

+ Reply to Thread