Problem: not booting from cd-rom - Hardware

This is a discussion on Problem: not booting from cd-rom - Hardware ; Hello, My system [ASUS P5ND2SLI] refuses to boot from cd-rom. The BIOS configuration looks ok. The discs [I tried 2] give no problems on another computer. I tried them in both the cd- and the dvd drive. I boots perfect ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Hello,

    My system [ASUS P5ND2SLI] refuses to boot from cd-rom.
    The BIOS configuration looks ok.
    The discs [I tried 2] give no problems on another computer.
    I tried them in both the cd- and the dvd drive.
    I boots perfect from a dvd.
    I can read [copy] the disc without any problem.
    I cleaned the disc lens.
    What can I check before I try another cd-drive?

    Regards,

    Hans.

    jdh dot beekhuizen at duinheks dot nl

  2. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Johannes Beekhuizen staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > My system [ASUS P5ND2SLI] refuses to boot from cd-rom. The BIOS
    > configuration looks ok. The discs [I tried 2] give no problems on
    > another computer.

    Is the CD-R* IDE or SATA? What about the DVD-R*? If any device is IDE,
    which /dev/hd? device node does it show up as? How new is this
    motherboard? Some really new boards treat IDE devices as second-class
    citizens and may behave stupidly with them.

    > I tried them in both the cd- and the dvd drive. [It] boots perfectly
    > from a dvd. I can read [copy] the disc without any problem.
    > I cleaned the disc lens. What can I check before I try another
    > cd-drive?

    This shouldn't be happening. I wouldn't be insanely concerned about it
    since drives that can't read DVDs are obsolete, though.

    --
    Jesus is the best radio producer in the beans. We need some saliva
    and pickles to get mad. --MegaHAL, "The Best of MegaHAL"

  3. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My system [ASUS P5ND2SLI] refuses to boot from cd-rom.
    > What can I check before I try another cd-drive?

    Yeah. I have seen this problem on several drives. Make sure that the
    drive that you purchase boots with your disk, before you buy it. Not all
    drives boot with all disks.

    http://markhobley.yi.org/laboratory/...rom/index.html

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:

    > My system [ASUS P5ND2SLI] refuses to boot from cd-rom.

    Please let me know what model drive this is.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Hallo Mark,

    Op zondag 19 oktober 2008 schreef Mark Hobley aan All:

    >> My system [ASUS P5ND2SLI] refuses to boot from cd-rom.
    >> What can I check before I try another cd-drive?

    MH> Yeah. I have seen this problem on several drives. Make sure that
    MH> the drive that you purchase boots with your disk, before you buy
    MH> it. Not all drives boot with all disks.

    But this system *used*to* boot from cd. Not that I do so
    very often, but that seems to rule out this problem.

    MH> http://markhobley.yi.org/laboratory/...rom/index.html

    I'll read the article though.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  6. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Hallo,

    Op zondag 19 oktober 2008 schreef Johannes Beekhuizen aan Dances With Crows:

    JB> In the mean time I discovered that I have an old cd-player "on
    JB> the shelf". If that works maybe I can eliminate problems with
    JB> the drive.

    Last Monday I replaced the unwilling cd drive by the spare one
    and checked all the connections. No luck. On Wednesday I put in
    a new dvd drive and that did the trick. I still don't understand
    why I could read the cd's but the drive refused to boot, but that
    is not so important: I can boot again from cd if necessary.
    I also replaced the other dvd drive, which failed to read cd's
    since quite a long time.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  7. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:

    > But this system *used*to* boot from cd. Not that I do so
    > very often, but that seems to rule out this problem.

    From the same cd, or did it used to boot from another cd? Ensure that
    you are using the cd that used to boot.

    If you have an old Microsoft Windows '95 disk, you can boot from that to
    check that the drive can actually boot (you don't need to install, just
    see if the drive boots).

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  8. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:

    > The motherboard will be about 3 or 3.5 years old. But it used
    > to work...

    Has the computer changed in any way? For example has the computer been
    opened for service, or the drive which used to be master is now a slave,
    etc?

    Some systems can only boot if the drive is in a specific position, eg
    primary slave (even if the bios parameters imply otherwise.)

    If you have a spare machine that can boot, try swapping the cdrom
    drive from another computer that you know can boot from the same disk,
    and try booting each of the computers?

    Has the problem moved to the other computer, (the cdrom drive has a
    problem), or does this computer have a problem with the newly swapped
    drive (the problem is with the computer or setup)?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  9. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:

    > But this system *used*to* boot from cd. Not that I do so
    > very often, but that seems to rule out this problem.

    Interestingly, I have just encountered a problem with one of my machines
    not booting with an updated disk burned with a Debian based .iso image.
    I know that the machine would boot with the old image, because I used
    the cdrom drive to install the system. However with the newer disk, the
    system ignores the bootable cdrom disk and jumps straight to loading
    lilo from the hard drive. I have flagged that up for testing, so I will
    probably look again at that at a future date. It is possible that the
    drive has gone faulty, but I reckon its probably due to a differences between
    the older and newer disk images.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  10. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:
    >
    >> But this system *used*to* boot from cd. Not that I do so
    >> very often, but that seems to rule out this problem.

    > Interestingly, I have just encountered a problem with one of my machines
    > not booting with an updated disk burned with a Debian based .iso image.
    > I know that the machine would boot with the old image, because I used
    > the cdrom drive to install the system. However with the newer disk, the
    > system ignores the bootable cdrom disk and jumps straight to loading
    > lilo from the hard drive. I have flagged that up for testing, so I will
    > probably look again at that at a future date. It is possible that the
    > drive has gone faulty, but I reckon its probably due to a differences between
    > the older and newer disk images.

    This has certainly happened with Slackware. Up to a certain point,
    something was set in creating the ISO so it was useable on older hardware.
    Then a new release came out, and that variable was changed to what it
    should be, which is more compatible with newer hardware. Suddenly I
    couldn't boot the DVD, and so did others and it was even documented.

    So the trick was to use the smart boot manager, and there's no problem.

    Michael

  11. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:
    >
    >> But this system *used*to* boot from cd. Not that I do so
    >> very often, but that seems to rule out this problem.

    > Interestingly, I have just encountered a problem with one of my machines
    > not booting with an updated disk burned with a Debian based .iso image.
    > I know that the machine would boot with the old image, because I used
    > the cdrom drive to install the system. However with the newer disk, the
    > system ignores the bootable cdrom disk and jumps straight to loading
    > lilo from the hard drive. I have flagged that up for testing, so I will
    > probably look again at that at a future date. It is possible that the
    > drive has gone faulty, but I reckon its probably due to a differences between
    > the older and newer disk images.
    >
    > Mark.

    I have one PC with a DVD-ROM drive that will not boot from one of the
    small diameter CDRW's but will boot from a full sized CDRW. Both CD's
    have identical contents and were burnt with identical settings from a set
    of scripts I use to build recovery CD's. I'm not sure if it's the size
    the drive objects to or the brand of the medium. I haven't really
    pursued the matter since I can get one of the recovery CD's to boot.

    Jerry

  12. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Michael Black wrote:

    > This has certainly happened with Slackware. Up to a certain point,
    > something was set in creating the ISO so it was useable on older hardware.
    > Then a new release came out, and that variable was changed to what it
    > should be, which is more compatible with newer hardware. Suddenly I
    > couldn't boot the DVD, and so did others and it was even documented.

    Oh right. I wonder what setting that was.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  13. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Michael Black wrote:
    >
    >> This has certainly happened with Slackware. Up to a certain point,
    >> something was set in creating the ISO so it was useable on older hardware.
    >> Then a new release came out, and that variable was changed to what it
    >> should be, which is more compatible with newer hardware. Suddenly I
    >> couldn't boot the DVD, and so did others and it was even documented.

    > Oh right. I wonder what setting that was.

    I was vague because I couldn't remember, and once I had the solution of
    using the smart boot manager, the rest wasn't important to me.

    I checked, and the problem I was referring to (whether or not
    it applies in this case) is mkisofs' -boot-load-size.

    Slackware started out using "4", which made it load on more older
    computers (because of the BIOS). Then it was bumped up to "32" in
    the next release, which was more appropriate but did cause some
    problems with booting and older computers.

    Michael

  14. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    In article ,
    Michael Black wrote:

    >I was vague because I couldn't remember, and once I had the solution of
    >using the smart boot manager, the rest wasn't important to me.
    >
    >I checked, and the problem I was referring to (whether or not
    >it applies in this case) is mkisofs' -boot-load-size.
    >
    >Slackware started out using "4", which made it load on more older
    >computers (because of the BIOS). Then it was bumped up to "32" in
    >the next release, which was more appropriate but did cause some
    >problems with booting and older computers.

    Most "modern" boot code has been designed for -boot-load-size 4 which
    is one 2048 byte sector.

    This however only works in case these 2048 bytes contain code to load the
    rest of the boot from the medium.

    If you have problems you might also like to check whether you use a real
    mkisofs or a modified version based on very old software.

    See: http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  15. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > If you have problems you might also like to check whether you use a real
    > mkisofs or a modified version based on very old software.

    Hmmm. My disks are made from .iso files download from the distributer. I don't
    actually create the iso images myself, so I am not using the mkisofs
    tool, because this is being done by the distibution vendor.

    Is there a tool that can examine the .iso files to check that the
    boot-load-size is correct in the existing .iso image?

    Also, what should be done to fix the problem, in the event that the
    boot-load-size is not appropriately set for the drive? Is there a simple
    tool to fix this parameter in the .iso image? Or does this involve
    mounting the iso image, and repackaging it?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  16. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    > Is there a tool that can examine the .iso files to check that the
    > boot-load-size is correct in the existing .iso image?

    strings file.iso | grep boot-load-size

    The above will show the entire command line that was used for mkisofs.

    > Is there a simple tool to fix this parameter in the .iso image?

    Not that I know of.

    > Or does this involve mounting the iso image, and repackaging it?

    Probably, yes.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  17. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    In article ,
    Mark Hobley wrote:
    >Joerg Schilling wrote:
    >
    >> If you have problems you might also like to check whether you use a real
    >> mkisofs or a modified version based on very old software.

    >Hmmm. My disks are made from .iso files download from the distributer. I don't
    >actually create the iso images myself, so I am not using the mkisofs
    >tool, because this is being done by the distibution vendor.

    If you are using someone else's images, you cannot influence them and would
    need to get in contect with the producers.

    >Is there a tool that can examine the .iso files to check that the
    >boot-load-size is correct in the existing .iso image?

    You cannot check whether it is "correct" as this depends on the content
    of the bootcode.

    You may call "isodebug -i filename" to see the anonymized command line
    that was used to create the image.

    >Also, what should be done to fix the problem, in the event that the
    >boot-load-size is not appropriately set for the drive? Is there a simple
    >tool to fix this parameter in the .iso image? Or does this involve
    >mounting the iso image, and repackaging it?

    Thre is a very low probability that changing this number will
    help you.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  18. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > Thre is a very low probability that changing this number will
    > help you.

    Why is that Joerg? Is there something else that is preventing particular
    disk images from being bootable in particular drives?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  19. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Joerg Schilling wrote:
    >
    >> Thre is a very low probability that changing this number will
    >> help you.

    > Why is that Joerg? Is there something else that is preventing particular
    > disk images from being bootable in particular drives?

    I brought the point up because the bios may have problems, not the drive.
    I'm not going back to look over the messages, but I injected this at
    a point when it didn't seem clear that the drive was the problem for
    the original poster. It was another variable that might prevent booting.

    Michael

  20. Re: Problem: not booting from cd-rom

    Michael Black wrote:

    > I brought the point up because the bios may have problems, not the drive.
    > I'm not going back to look over the messages, but I injected this at
    > a point when it didn't seem clear that the drive was the problem for
    > the original poster.

    Yeah. He swapped the drive out for a fix. I have done that on a few
    occasions, but I really would like to know what is wrong with the
    drives.

    I am currently having a problem with one of my machines. It used to run Debian
    Sarge, and the original installation was made from a Debian Sarge disk.
    However, the machine has since been upgraded (using online facilities)
    and is now on Debian Etch.

    I have a Debian Etch cdrom, which works fine in other machines, but when
    I try to boot from it, the disk is ignored, and the system boots from the hard
    drive. The bios parameters are correct, and the cdrom is the set as the
    primary boot device.

    The cdrom does not appear to be boot compatible with that particular
    cdrom drive. The drive can read the cdrom ok, but cannot boot from it.
    It can boot from a Debian Sarge cdrom.

    > It was another variable that might prevent booting.

    I'm going to examine the original .iso images for the Sarge and Etch
    cdrom disks to see if there is anything different between them.

    Mark.