Routers,Linux,Tomato - Hardware

This is a discussion on Routers,Linux,Tomato - Hardware ; are their any routers that work better than others with Linux(Ubuntu). I wouldnt mind someday installing tomato on the router or some other firmware upgrade to increase capability. Dh...

  1. Routers,Linux,Tomato

    are their any routers that work better than others with Linux(Ubuntu). I
    wouldnt mind someday installing tomato on the router or some other
    firmware upgrade to increase capability.

    Dh

  2. Re: Routers,Linux,Tomato

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:22:00 +0000, Duane Hinnen rearranged some electrons
    to say:

    > are their any routers that work better than others with Linux(Ubuntu). I
    > wouldnt mind someday installing tomato on the router or some other
    > firmware upgrade to increase capability.
    >
    > Dh

    In general, a stand-alone router isn't going to care what operating
    system your computer is running. Something such as WRT54GL already runs
    a Linux-based OS and can be upgraded with third-party firmware. But that
    has nothing to do with the operating system on your computer.

  3. Re: Routers,Linux,Tomato

    david wrote:

    > In general, a stand-alone router isn't going to care what operating
    > system your computer is running.

    As long as you are using ethernet, you should be OK. If you are planning to
    use USB or wireless networking, you should definitely check before purchasing.

    There is a problem with the Netgear RP614 hanging, so I would avoid this
    model. I don't know whether other Netgear devices are affected with the
    same bug, but if you are using customized firmware, this may not be a
    concern for you. You will obviously need a router that works with your
    intended firmware.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley