PATA DVD access with Marvell 88SE61x1 and 2.6.25.6 - Hardware

This is a discussion on PATA DVD access with Marvell 88SE61x1 and 2.6.25.6 - Hardware ; A few months ago I changed my motherboard to an MSI P35 NEO2-FR, which handles the PATA board with a Marvell 88SE6121 (according to lspci) or 88SE6111 (according to ). Apparently since that time I cannot access the DVD drive ...

  1. PATA DVD access with Marvell 88SE61x1 and 2.6.25.6

    A few months ago I changed my motherboard to an MSI P35 NEO2-FR, which
    handles the PATA board with a Marvell 88SE6121 (according to lspci) or
    88SE6111 (according to
    ).

    Apparently since that time I cannot access the DVD drive that's
    connected via PATA; the drive has not shown up in any kernel logs
    since that time.

    So I'm wondering how to deal with this. lspci -v says:

    03:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II Controller (rev b2) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])
    Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II Controller
    [...]
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ide-pci-generic, pata_marvell, ata_generic

    This does not change if I modprobe pata_marvell, and nothing happens
    in the output of dmesg.

    Reading
    ,
    it appears that one could possibly fix it by either installing a
    kernel that includes the patch shown in the message, or possibly by
    rearranging the order of ahci and pata_marvell in modprobe.conf
    (probably in the initrd). However, neither of these modules appears
    in my modprobe.d or modules.conf (and AFAIK the initrd stuff is
    generated from these files).

    So should I just upgrade to 2.6.27 (and will it help?) or is there an
    easier way to get my DVD to work?

    - anton

  2. Re: PATA DVD access with Marvell 88SE61x1 and 2.6.25.6

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:50:52 +0000, Anton Ertl rearranged some electrons
    to say:

    > A few months ago I changed my motherboard to an MSI P35 NEO2-FR, which
    > handles the PATA board with a Marvell 88SE6121 (according to lspci) or
    > 88SE6111 (according to
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

    List_of_Marvell_Technology_Group_chipsets#MSI_moth erboards_that_use_Marvell_88SE6111_chipset>).

    > Apparently since that time I cannot access the DVD drive that's
    > connected via PATA; the drive has not shown up in any kernel logs since
    > that time.
    >
    > So I'm wondering how to deal with this. lspci -v says:
    >
    > 03:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II
    > Controller (rev b2) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])
    > Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II
    > Controller Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    > [...]
    > Kernel driver in use: ahci
    > Kernel modules: ide-pci-generic, pata_marvell, ata_generic
    >
    > This does not change if I modprobe pata_marvell, and nothing happens in
    > the output of dmesg.
    >
    > Reading
    > ,
    > it appears that one could possibly fix it by either installing a kernel
    > that includes the patch shown in the message, or possibly by rearranging
    > the order of ahci and pata_marvell in modprobe.conf (probably in the
    > initrd). However, neither of these modules appears in my modprobe.d or
    > modules.conf (and AFAIK the initrd stuff is generated from these files).
    >
    > So should I just upgrade to 2.6.27 (and will it help?) or is there an
    > easier way to get my DVD to work?
    >
    > - anton

    Are you sure the ribbon cable is properly connected?

  3. Re: PATA DVD access with Marvell 88SE61x1 and 2.6.25.6

    david writes:
    >On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:50:52 +0000, Anton Ertl rearranged some electrons
    >to say:
    >
    >> A few months ago I changed my motherboard to an MSI P35 NEO2-FR, which
    >> handles the PATA board with a Marvell 88SE6121 (according to lspci) or
    >> 88SE6111 (according to
    >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

    >List_of_Marvell_Technology_Group_chipsets#MSI_moth erboards_that_use_Marvell_88SE6111_chipset>).
    >>
    >> Apparently since that time I cannot access the DVD drive that's
    >> connected via PATA; the drive has not shown up in any kernel logs since
    >> that time.

    >Are you sure the ribbon cable is properly connected?

    Yes, the drive shows up in the BIOS and works in Windows.

    - anton