sound with more than one soundcard - Hardware

This is a discussion on sound with more than one soundcard - Hardware ; Hello! I have a Debian box with two sound cards. How do i select which card to use in whatever sound program i might use? Lets say, record through one card listening to the other, or record something using both ...

  1. sound with more than one soundcard

    Hello!

    I have a Debian box with two sound cards. How do i select which card to
    use in whatever sound program i might use?

    Lets say, record through one card listening to the other, or record
    something using both cards.

    I wish to migrate from Cubase under DOS to something decent Under Linux.

    Regards
    Nobody

    This below will all play at the first card. I have tried a bundle of
    different other flags too.

    ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/dsp 07\ -\ Miwa.ogg
    ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/dsp1 07\ -\ Miwa.ogg
    ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/dsp2 07\ -\ Miwa.ogg

    ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/audio 01\ -\ Jerusalem.ogg
    ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/audio1 01\ -\ Jerusalem.ogg
    ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/audio2 01\ -\ Jerusalem.ogg

  2. Re: sound with more than one soundcard

    Em Sexta, 17 de Outubro de 2008 02:40, Carl Forsland escreveu:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I have a Debian box with two sound cards. How do i select which card to
    > use in whatever sound program i might use?
    >
    > Lets say, record through one card listening to the other, or record
    > something using both cards.

    that must be set on each individual program that will use the sound cards

    > I wish to migrate from Cubase under DOS to something decent Under Linux.
    >

    > Regards
    > Nobody
    >

    > This below will all play at the first card. I have tried a bundle of
    > different other flags too.
    >
    > ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/dsp 07\ -\ Miwa.ogg
    > ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/dsp1 07\ -\ Miwa.ogg
    > ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/dsp2 07\ -\ Miwa.ogg
    >
    > ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/audio 01\ -\ Jerusalem.ogg
    > ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/audio1 01\ -\ Jerusalem.ogg
    > ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/audio2 01\ -\ Jerusalem.ogg

    option -o of ogg123:
    -o k:v, --device-option k:v
    Pass special option 'k' with value 'v' to the
    device previously specified with --device. See
    the ogg123 man page for available device options.

    see
    man ogg123, cause this dsp:/dev/dsp2 is not right

  3. Re: sound with more than one soundcard

    > option -o of ogg123:
    > -o k:v, --device-option k:v
    > Pass special option 'k' with value 'v' to the
    > device previously specified with --device. See
    > the ogg123 man page for available device options.
    >
    > see
    > man ogg123, cause this dsp:/dev/dsp2 is not right

    This was just hmmm... to illustrate some kind of effort to get some
    sound at all. I tried xmms and Totem and ALSAplayer and an ogg
    player/ripper too. It only makes sound at the first sound card.

    I must have missed something fundamental when i started with computers
    back when a hard disk was a stack of 15 inch disks, each disk contained
    up to 5 Mbytes and the CPU a couple of MHz, RAM less than 100Kbytes and
    no graphic interface. The computer was operated from ascii terminals via
    the serial ports. Back then we tried to get the computers to work
    automatically as much as possible.

    Today i have an elegant pile of junk with tons of RAM and a several GHz
    CPU etc... and it comes with a graphic interface.

    I thought there was a fairly easy way to make this several thousand
    times more effective box do something in a more modern and automatic way
    using its elegant graphic interface.

    It works under DOS. It should be easier to do under Unix/Linux where a
    device driver can be looked upon as a file to be read or written to.

    Is it even possible to use some Cubase clone to do hard disk recordings
    under Linux? There is excellent recording software under Mac OS X which
    is based on Free BSD.

    (I have kept two old ASCII terminals for sentimental reasons, should i
    try to create an old mainframe of my box? pull out the graphic card and
    so on...)

    I'm just kidding.

    Regards
    Nobody

  4. Re: sound with more than one soundcard

    Carl Forsland wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have a Debian box with two sound cards. How do i select which card
    > to use in whatever sound program i might use?
    >
    > Lets say, record through one card listening to the other, or record
    > something using both cards.
    >
    > I wish to migrate from Cubase under DOS to something decent Under
    > Linux.

    Hi,

    You mention you're using Debian but you've not mentioned which repo
    (etch? lenny?), which kernel that you're using, nor which soundcards
    you're trying to get to work. Still, I'm going to take a guess.

    Not all soundcards have drivers in linux/alsa (very sadly), do drivers
    exist for the card in the kernel version you're using?

    Have you run installed and run alsaconf? Most systems don't need to run
    this but with two cards you might need to do this; try this first.

    If you physically pull or disable in the BIOS (onboard?) the soundcard
    that's working, does the second card starting working?

    If you're using the 'stable' version of Debian, are you using the
    standard 2.6.18 kernel or have you upgraded to the 2.6.24 kernel within
    the repository? If not, upgrade the kernel and try again. You'll find
    the new kernel called something like 'Etch n' a half'.

    I'm sorry your experience isn't as automatic as you felt it to be and I
    share your sentiments in this respect.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  5. Re: sound with more than one soundcard

    Carl Forsland wrote:
    > I have a Debian box with two sound cards. How do i select which card to
    > use in whatever sound program i might use?

    That depends on the program.

    Desktop environments like KDE or Gnome should have a list of sound cards
    somewhere in their configuration, but this will only affect KDE/Gnome
    programs.

    In programs that use the OSS interface, change the device name from
    "/dev/dsp" to "/dev/dsp1" or some other number.

    In programs that use the ALSA interface, change the device name from
    "default" to "default:1", or from "plughw:0,x" to "plughw:1,x".

    > This below will all play at the first card.
    >
    > ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/dsp 07\ -\ Miwa.ogg
    > ogg123 -o dsp:/dev/dsp1 07\ -\ Miwa.ogg

    This should work if ogg123 is configured to use OSS by default, but it's
    likely that the default is ALSA, so the option to use would be
    "-o card:1".

    HTH
    Clemens

  6. Re: sound with more than one soundcard

    Carl Forsland wrote:

    > Is it even possible to use some Cubase clone to do hard disk recordings
    > under Linux? ...

    Look at http://www.ardour.org/ I think you'll find the software you're
    after. (though to call it a "Cubase clone" would be to short-change
    it indeed; at worst, it's mostly a ProTools clone, while at best it's
    a nicely featured DAW software package in its own right.)

    It depends on JACK to connect to your sound hardware, though, and there
    is presently (as I understand it) no reliable way to make JACK work with
    multiple soundcards. That said, search around, because I've seen (though
    not tried) sample configs where folks create a "virtual sound device"
    that contains multiple sound cards and apparently get JACK (and thus JACK
    applications) to access multiple sound interfaces simultaneously that way.

    I hope this helps ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  7. Re: sound with more than one soundcard

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 06:10:54 +0200, Carl Forsland wrote:

    > This was just hmmm... to illustrate some kind of effort to get some sound
    > at all. I tried xmms and Totem and ALSAplayer and an ogg player/ripper
    > too. It only makes sound at the first sound card.

    often /dev/dsp is a soft link to /dev/dsp1 and it is the same for mixer,
    etc.

    ls -ld /dev/dsp* ???
    anything in dmesg?

    > Back then we tried to get the computers to work
    > automatically as much as possible.

    True, but they usually only did one task at a time.

    > Today i have an elegant pile of junk with tons of RAM and a several GHz
    > CPU etc... and it comes with a graphic interface.

    ROFPMP.

    > I thought there was a fairly easy way to make this several thousand
    > times more effective box do something in a more modern and automatic way
    > using its elegant graphic interface.
    >
    > It works under DOS. It should be easier to do under Unix/Linux where a
    > device driver can be looked upon as a file to be read or written to.

    The fact thatis works under DOS is a bit worrying. what cards are
    involved? DOS has proprietary drivers written for each card.

    > Is it even possible to use some Cubase clone to do hard disk recordings
    > under Linux? There is excellent recording software under Mac OS X which
    > is based on Free BSD.

    what is Cubase exactly?

    > (I have kept two old ASCII terminals for sentimental reasons, should i
    > try to create an old mainframe of my box? pull out the graphic card and
    > so on...)
    >
    > I'm just kidding.

    ASCII terminals are very hany for techos who need to do fundamental
    configs of various boxen,

    > Regards
    > Nobody

  8. Re: sound with more than one soundcard

    > You mention you're using Debian but you've not mentioned which repo
    > (etch? lenny?), which kernel that you're using, nor which soundcards
    > you're trying to get to work. Still, I'm going to take a guess.

    I use Etch. Tried with the shipping kernel. Now i run kernel 2.6.27.2.

    > Not all soundcards have drivers in linux/alsa (very sadly), do drivers
    > exist for the card in the kernel version you're using?

    Think so, SBLive or emu10k1 and an onboard via82xx card.

    > Have you run installed and run alsaconf? Most systems don't need to run
    > this but with two cards you might need to do this; try this first.
    >
    > If you physically pull or disable in the BIOS (onboard?) the soundcard
    > that's working, does the second card starting working?
    >
    > If you're using the 'stable' version of Debian, are you using the
    > standard 2.6.18 kernel or have you upgraded to the 2.6.24 kernel within
    > the repository? If not, upgrade the kernel and try again. You'll find
    > the new kernel called something like 'Etch n' a half'.
    >
    > I'm sorry your experience isn't as automatic as you felt it to be and I
    > share your sentiments in this respect.

    At the time around kernel 2.4 (might be 2.2?) i tried some early version
    of muse with some softsynth and a keyboard and low latency. Midi players
    and sequencers worked too. The cards was sblive 5.1 and some old
    half-duplex isa soundblaster card. It was possible to play or record
    with both cards.

    Now i can play sound files from the sblive card.

    Recording, playing midifiles, connect a keyboard and such things doesn't
    work.

+ Reply to Thread