Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ? - Hardware ; Is this reported e-paper, which uses no power, except when changing state [typically 500 msec per screen] cost effective and available. or is it just vapourware ? googling lead to some Californian enterprise that says "write and ask us". If ...

  1. Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ?

    Is this reported e-paper, which uses no power, except when
    changing state [typically 500 msec per screen] cost effective
    and available. or is it just vapourware ?

    googling lead to some Californian enterprise that says
    "write and ask us". If they've got it why don't they show
    specs and prices ?

    TIA.

  2. Re: Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ?

    problems@gmail wrote:
    > Is this reported e-paper, which uses no power, except when
    > changing state [typically 500 msec per screen] cost effective
    > and available. or is it just vapourware ?
    >
    > googling lead to some Californian enterprise that says
    > "write and ask us". If they've got it why don't they show
    > specs and prices ?
    >
    > TIA.

    perhaps ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-book
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-paper

  3. Re: Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ?

    problems@gmail schreef:
    > Is this reported e-paper, which uses no power, except when
    > changing state [typically 500 msec per screen] cost effective
    > and available. or is it just vapourware ?

    It is certainly not vaporware; I have had one of these in my hands:
    http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/iliad

    The display quality is impressive; it looks just like paper with a
    semi-reflective transparent plastic sheet over it. However 'turning
    pages' is annoyingly slow.

  4. Re: Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ?

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, problems@gmail wrote:

    > Is this reported e-paper, which uses no power, except when
    > changing state [typically 500 msec per screen] cost effective
    > and available. or is it just vapourware ?
    >
    > googling lead to some Californian enterprise that says
    > "write and ask us". If they've got it why don't they show
    > specs and prices ?

    I fail to see the relevance to either newsgroup.

    You should be paying attention, the October issue of "Esquire"
    magazine had an e-paper cover, though likely they are now all
    long gone.

    Michael

  5. Re: Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ?

    problems@gmail writes:
    > Is this reported e-paper, which uses no power, except when
    > changing state [typically 500 msec per screen] cost effective
    > and available. or is it just vapourware ?

    It is sufficiently cost effective and available that it was used
    on the cover of Esquire magazine recently. Of course, that was
    just a segmented display, not dot matrix, but it *was* the e-ink
    technology.

    Dot matrix e-ink displays are used in the Sony, Amazon, iLiad, and
    other book readers, which are shipping in significant volumes.

    > If they've got it why don't they show
    > specs and prices ?

    Presumably for the same reason(s) that many vendors don't
    publicize specs and prices. Try getting the data sheets and
    pricing for the TI 1710 or 2420 OMAP chips some time.

  6. Re: Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ?

    problems@gmail wrote:
    > Is this reported e-paper, which uses no power, except when
    > changing state [typically 500 msec per screen] cost effective
    > and available. or is it just vapourware ?

    It really exists, but in itself it isn't much use. You need to be able
    to put an electric field across it, either as a set of segments (as per
    a Motorola phone and the recent Esquire mag) or as a scanned pixel array
    with an active backplane as used in e-Readers. It's not trivial to do a
    one-off.

    > googling lead to some Californian enterprise that says
    > "write and ask us". If they've got it why don't they show
    > specs and prices ?

    I wonder who that was, given that E-Ink is in Mass.

    --
    Dave
    dav e@llondel.org (without the space)

+ Reply to Thread