How to use BadRAM? - Hardware

This is a discussion on How to use BadRAM? - Hardware ; I need/want to use the BadRAM kernel patch. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any HOWTO for it. The author mentions a modification for memtest86+ that would tell the necessary command line (Patching the kernel and installing the tools wouldn't ...

  1. How to use BadRAM?

    I need/want to use the BadRAM kernel patch. Unfortunately there doesn't
    seem to be any HOWTO for it. The author mentions a modification for
    memtest86+ that would tell the necessary command line (Patching the
    kernel and installing the tools wouldn't be an issue) but apparently
    forgot to link to it.

    So, how to use that patch?

    -Erik

    --
    hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

  2. Re: How to use BadRAM?

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:47:59 +0200, Erik Hahn wrote:

    >I need/want to use the BadRAM kernel patch. Unfortunately there doesn't
    >seem to be any HOWTO for it. The author mentions a modification for
    >memtest86+ that would tell the necessary command line (Patching the
    >kernel and installing the tools wouldn't be an issue) but apparently
    >forgot to link to it.
    >
    >So, how to use that patch?

    You don't -- RAM's cheap, buy some more.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: How to use BadRAM?

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:47:59 +0200, Erik Hahn wrote:
    > I need/want to use the BadRAM kernel patch. Unfortunately there doesn't
    > seem to be any HOWTO for it. The author mentions a modification for
    > memtest86+ that would tell the necessary command line (Patching the
    > kernel and installing the tools wouldn't be an issue) but apparently
    > forgot to link to it.
    >
    > So, how to use that patch?

    Good luck with THAT! A year or so ago I had a bad 512MB stick -- with
    easily identified bad sections in a 64MB bank -- the uppermost 64MB
    bank. I spent many frustrating hours trying to get BadRAM and the
    memtest86+ 'information' to take care of those bad sections of ram.
    No joy!

    Asking -- as you are doing -- in newsgroups about it yielded nothing
    except peripheral comments (as you might well view this.)

    Since the bad ram sections were in the upper 64MB of one of the 2 sticks
    (lucky was I), I installed the two sticks such that the bad ram was at
    the top of memory. Then I specified "mem=448M" in the kernel line of
    grub's menu.lst. I ran that-a-way for several months.

    Once a good sale came on at a local retailer, I bought 2 new 1GB sticks.
    So, as another poster told you, you solve the unsupported kernel kludge
    called "BadRAM" by purchasing new ram.

    HTH
    Jonesy
    --