New disk label type - Hardware

This is a discussion on New disk label type - Hardware ; I added an empty SATA drive to my machine which runs a SCSI drive. When I go to partition it with cfdisk, the first think is I'm asked to select "New disk label type" and have the options amiga, bsd, ...

  1. New disk label type

    I added an empty SATA drive to my machine which runs a SCSI drive. When
    I go to partition it with cfdisk, the first think is I'm asked to select
    "New disk label type" and have the options amiga, bsd, gpt, msdos, etc.

    I googled to find out which I should use, but no clear answer. I suspect
    it is gpt, and I suspect it is the default.

    I need reassurance that gpt is the right choice. Where could I read up
    more on this issue?

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  2. Re: New disk label type

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 17:12:03 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Haines Brown
    wrote:

    > I added an empty SATA drive to my machine which runs a SCSI drive. When
    > I go to partition it with cfdisk, the first think is I'm asked to select
    > "New disk label type" and have the options amiga, bsd, gpt, msdos, etc.
    >
    > I googled to find out which I should use, but no clear answer. I suspect
    > it is gpt, and I suspect it is the default.
    >
    > I need reassurance that gpt is the right choice. Where could I read up
    > more on this issue?

    GPT is required for devices larger than 2TB, otherwise MSDOS is a better - more
    cross platform - choice.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: New disk label type

    "Trevor Hemsley" writes:

    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 17:12:03 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Haines Brown
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I added an empty SATA drive to my machine which runs a SCSI drive. When
    >> I go to partition it with cfdisk, the first think is I'm asked to select
    >> "New disk label type" and have the options amiga, bsd, gpt, msdos, etc.
    >>
    >> I googled to find out which I should use, but no clear answer. I suspect
    >> it is gpt, and I suspect it is the default.
    >>
    >> I need reassurance that gpt is the right choice. Where could I read up
    >> more on this issue?

    > GPT is required for devices larger than 2TB, otherwise MSDOS is a
    > better -
    > more cross platform - choice.

    Trevor, thanks. My disk is 860 GB, and so apparently it need
    MSDOS. Where is there a discussion of these matters?

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  4. Re: New disk label type

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 20:41:17 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Haines Brown
    wrote:

    > Trevor, thanks. My disk is 860 GB, and so apparently it need
    > MSDOS. Where is there a discussion of these matters?

    Well, sticking "gpt msdos fdisk" into google is fairly good start and on the
    first page of hits you'll find
    http://www.unixgods.org/~tilo/linux_larger_2TB.html which has a small chart of
    the differences/advantages of each type. It may not be the most verbose of
    explanations but it covers the bits you're probably most interested in.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: New disk label type

    Trevor, thanks for the pointer. I was googling for cfdisk + etc. and
    getting nowhere fast.

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

+ Reply to Thread