unable to mount a drive imaged using dd - Hardware

This is a discussion on unable to mount a drive imaged using dd - Hardware ; On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:37:06 -0700, techrojo wrote: > I booted BackTrack3, and opened a terminal session to image an iDE drive > with three partitions. > The command was > dd if=/dev/dha of=/dev/hdd conv=notrunc,noerror > > This seemed ...

  1. Re: unable to mount a drive imaged using dd

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:37:06 -0700, techrojo wrote:

    > I booted BackTrack3, and opened a terminal session to image an iDE drive
    > with three partitions.
    > The command was
    > dd if=/dev/dha of=/dev/hdd conv=notrunc,noerror
    >
    > This seemed to run fine.
    > Running "fdisk –l" showed identical partition info.
    >
    > I created mount points for the three partitons mkdir /mnt/hdd1
    > mkdir /mnt/hdd2
    > mkdir /mnt/hdd3
    >
    > When I try to mount any of the partitions, I get an error message: mount
    > /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1
    > mount: special device /dev/hdd1 does not exist
    >
    > mount -o ro -t auto /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1 mount: special device /dev/hdd1
    > does not exist
    >
    > Any help is appreciated,
    > Thanks

    You need to use the '-o loop' option with mount, among others. Here's a link
    with the procedure:

    http://www.andremiller.net/content/m...ns-using-linux

    Stef

  2. unable to mount a drive imaged using dd

    I booted BackTrack3, and opened a terminal session to image an iDE
    drive with three partitions.
    The command was
    dd if=/dev/dha of=/dev/hdd conv=notrunc,noerror

    This seemed to run fine.
    Running "fdisk l" showed identical partition info.

    I created mount points for the three partitons
    mkdir /mnt/hdd1
    mkdir /mnt/hdd2
    mkdir /mnt/hdd3

    When I try to mount any of the partitions, I get an error message:
    mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1
    mount: special device /dev/hdd1 does not exist

    mount -o ro -t auto /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1
    mount: special device /dev/hdd1 does not exist

    Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks

  3. Re: unable to mount a drive imaged using dd

    Em Quarta, 1 de Outubro de 2008 11:02, Stefan Patric escreveu:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:37:06 -0700, techrojo wrote:
    >
    >> I booted BackTrack3, and opened a terminal session to image an iDE drive
    >> with three partitions.
    >> The command was
    >> dd if=/dev/dha of=/dev/hdd conv=notrunc,noerror
    >>
    >> This seemed to run fine.
    >> Running "fdisk –l" showed identical partition info.
    >>
    >> I created mount points for the three partitons mkdir /mnt/hdd1
    >> mkdir /mnt/hdd2
    >> mkdir /mnt/hdd3
    >>
    >> When I try to mount any of the partitions, I get an error message: mount
    >> /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1
    >> mount: special device /dev/hdd1 does not exist
    >>
    >> mount -o ro -t auto /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1 mount: special device /dev/hdd1
    >> does not exist
    >>
    >> Any help is appreciated,
    >> Thanks

    > You need to use the '-o loop' option with mount, among others. Here's a
    > link with the procedure:

    It doesn't look like his trying to mount a iso file

  4. Re: unable to mount a drive imaged using dd

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 05:37:06 -0700 (PDT), techrojo@gmail.com wrote:

    >I booted BackTrack3, and opened a terminal session to image an iDE
    >drive with three partitions.
    >The command was
    > dd if=/dev/dha of=/dev/hdd conv=notrunc,noerror
    >
    >This seemed to run fine.
    >Running "fdisk –l" showed identical partition info.
    >
    >I created mount points for the three partitons
    >mkdir /mnt/hdd1
    >mkdir /mnt/hdd2
    >mkdir /mnt/hdd3
    >
    >When I try to mount any of the partitions, I get an error message:
    >mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1
    >mount: special device /dev/hdd1 does not exist

    So you imaged the source device onto the /dev/hdd that has no physical
    hard drive behind the device node?

    If so, image to a file and try a loop mount?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

+ Reply to Thread