Again with nvidia... - Hardware

This is a discussion on Again with nvidia... - Hardware ; Hi there, I am using Linux Debian 2.6.18-4-amd64 and some time ago I have installed the nvidia driver with the Debian way suggested by the method of http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debi...dia/index.html , that right now is off, but his method was very clear ...

  1. Again with nvidia...

    Hi there,
    I am using Linux Debian 2.6.18-4-amd64 and some time ago I have
    installed the nvidia driver with the Debian way suggested by the method
    of http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debi...dia/index.html, that right
    now is off, but his method was very clear and comprensible for my
    knwoledge.

    Some days ago I made a very big mistake tring to upgrade all the
    systema by: apt-get upgrade. (stupid, eh?)
    From that time all work I did by installing graphic driver was lost.
    I attempt many time to solve the problem, but every time I failed in my
    purpose suggested here (http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers).

    Therefore I am here asking if there is one way to get out from this
    situation. The driver I have installed was 1.0.8776-4.

    thank for any answer.

    pin

  2. Re: Again with nvidia...

    Gobo wrote:
    > Therefore I am here asking if there is one way to get out from this
    > situation. The driver I have installed was 1.0.8776-4.

    Hi there,

    If you want the best overall solution then forget any of the old 'Debian
    way' guides that you've read and follow the easy instructions that follow:

    1.) Uninstall the nvidia-glx package if you currently have it installed;

    2.) Go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver for your
    architecture;

    3.) Make sure you have the linux-headers package and kbuild package
    installed. It would also be a good idea to have build-essential
    installed if you've not already done so;

    4.) Reboot into single-user mode (you don't have to if you know what
    you're doing to bring down kdm, gdm, and/or X, but single-user mode will
    definitely work)

    5.) As root, install the nvidia package. you have to use the 'sh'
    command as explained in the installation instructions that come with the
    driver, refer to that if you have any issues launching the installer;

    6.) The installer will walk you through the installation process and has
    decent prompts;

    7.) It's possible that other packages/tools will need to be available
    for installation. Please refer to the documentation with the driver or
    you can go to the NVIDIA linux forums @ www.nvnews.net and check the
    stickied threads, if you have problems that is.

    8.) Make sure that your /etc/X11/xorg.conf specifices the driver called
    'nvidia';

    9.) Reboot.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  3. Re: Again with nvidia...

    Il /27 set 2008/, *Sheridan Hutchinson* ha scritto:

    Thank, but may I have to update my kernel, doens't I?
    I dont belive my kernel support the latest nvidia driver, right?

  4. Re: Again with nvidia...

    On 2008-09-27, Gobo wrote:

    > Il /27 set 2008/, *Sheridan Hutchinson* ha scritto:
    >
    > Thank, but may I have to update my kernel, doens't I?
    > I dont belive my kernel support the latest nvidia driver, right?

    It's not the kernel that doesn't support your latest nvidia driver; it's
    the present kernel modules. By downloading and running the installer
    package from nvidia, you will build new kernel modules -- using your
    present kernel -- to match the new driver. The installer then loads the
    new modules and Bob's your uncle.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  5. Re: Again with nvidia...

    Gobo wrote:
    > Thank, but may I have to update my kernel, doens't I? I dont belive
    > my kernel support the latest nvidia driver, right?

    I have never read anything to suggest that the stock kernel version
    you're using will be incompatible with the latest nvidia driver. If
    there is a stipulation it will be in the detailed documentation that
    accompanies the driver.

    Give it a try and see how you get on.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  6. Re: Again with nvidia...

    John Thompson wrote:
    > It's not the kernel that doesn't support your latest nvidia driver; it's
    > the present kernel modules. By downloading and running the installer
    > package from nvidia, you will build new kernel modules -- using your
    > present kernel -- to match the new driver. The installer then loads the
    > new modules and Bob's your uncle.

    Well, I try to install the new nvidia driver, but something has gone bad.
    This is what say the nvidia log file:

    Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
    -> License accepted.
    -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 173.14.12.
    -> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you
    li
    ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your
    kernel f
    rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes)
    -> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp
    site;
    this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for
    your kernel.
    -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
    -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
    -> The CC version check failed:

    The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.1) does not exactly match
    the
    current compiler (gcc 4.3). The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects
    kern
    el modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that
    of t
    he compiler used to build the running kernel.

    If you know what you are doing and want to ignore the gcc version check,
    sel
    ect "No" to continue installation. Otherwise, select "Yes" to abort
    install
    ation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used
    to c
    ompile your kernel, and restart installation. Abort now? (Answer: Yes)
    ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
    '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find
    suggestions
    on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
    driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

    Could tell me how can I solve this matter?

    Thank
    --
    Linux Debian 2.6.18-4-amd64

  7. Re: Again with nvidia...

    tito wrote:
    > Could tell me how can I solve this matter?

    The issue here is that the kernel is built using GCC v4.1 while the
    default GCC compiler in lenny at the moment is GCC v4.3.

    I present you with two solutions for your choosing:

    1.) Abort --> No, and continue the installation. It is possible there
    might be issues with having the NVIDIA module compiled with GCC v4.3
    when the kernel is compiled with v4.1, although I've yet to encounter
    any issues and personally I choose this solution.

    2.) Google for how to change the environment variables so that GCC v4.1
    is presented to the installer as the default compiler so that the NVIDIA
    installer doesn't present that screen.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  8. Re: Again with nvidia...

    On 2008-10-06, tito wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:
    >> It's not the kernel that doesn't support your latest nvidia driver; it's
    >> the present kernel modules. By downloading and running the installer
    >> package from nvidia, you will build new kernel modules -- using your
    >> present kernel -- to match the new driver. The installer then loads the
    >> new modules and Bob's your uncle.

    > Well, I try to install the new nvidia driver, but something has gone bad.
    > This is what say the nvidia log file:
    >
    > The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.1) does not exactly match
    > the current compiler (gcc 4.3). The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects
    > kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that
    > of the compiler used to build the running kernel.

    Did you update gcc at some point? Since your kernel was built using
    gcc-4.1, you need to use that version to build the modules. You may have
    more than one version of gcc installed; try running "locate bin/gcc and
    see if you still have gcc-4.1 available. If so, you can tell the
    installer to use that instead of the newer version.

    If you don't have gcc-4.1 available, you can download it from
    ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.1.0 and install it is a separate
    location from your existing gcc installation, e.g. /usr/local instead of
    /usr. Then just tell the NVidia intaller to use it when you build the
    new modules.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  9. Re: Again with nvidia...

    In article ,
    Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    > -=-=-=-=-=-
    >
    > tito wrote:
    > > Could tell me how can I solve this matter?

    > The issue here is that the kernel is built using GCC v4.1 while the
    > default GCC compiler in lenny at the moment is GCC v4.3.
    >
    > I present you with two solutions for your choosing:
    >
    > 1.) Abort --> No, and continue the installation. It is possible there
    > might be issues with having the NVIDIA module compiled with GCC v4.3
    > when the kernel is compiled with v4.1, although I've yet to encounter
    > any issues and personally I choose this solution.
    >
    > 2.) Google for how to change the environment variables so that GCC v4.1
    > is presented to the installer as the default compiler so that the NVIDIA
    > installer doesn't present that screen.

    3.) Re-compile your kernel.

    4.) Uninstall gcc > 4.1 and make sure gcc 4.1 is installed.

    #1 is easiest if it works, failing that I'd choose #2.

    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
    remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

  10. Re: Again with nvidia...

    John Thompson wrote:
    > Did you update gcc at some point? Since your kernel was built using
    > gcc-4.1, you need to use that version to build the modules. You may have
    > more than one version of gcc installed; try running "locate bin/gcc and
    > see if you still have gcc-4.1 available. If so, you can tell the
    > installer to use that instead of the newer version.

    Well, thank for your help.
    I see I have installed:
    /usr/bin/gcc
    /usr/bin/gcc-4.1
    /usr/bin/gccbug-4.1
    /usr/bin/gccmakedep
    But if I go to synaptic and watch looking for gcc I see I have both gcc 4.1
    and gcc 4.3. Mybe, I suppose I have to unistall the gcc 4.3 if I wish to
    work with gcc 4.1
    Another question, please. You say I can tell to the installer to use the gcc
    4.1, but I a not so expert, can you tell me in wich way I can do that?

    Thank.

    --
    Linux Debian 2.6.18-4-amd64

  11. Re: Again with nvidia...

    On 2008-10-07, tito wrote:

    > I see I have installed:
    > /usr/bin/gcc
    > /usr/bin/gcc-4.1
    > /usr/bin/gccbug-4.1
    > /usr/bin/gccmakedep

    > But if I go to synaptic and watch looking for gcc I see I have both gcc 4.1
    > and gcc 4.3. Mybe, I suppose I have to unistall the gcc 4.3 if I wish to
    > work with gcc 4.1
    > Another question, please. You say I can tell to the installer to use the gcc
    > 4.1, but I a not so expert, can you tell me in wich way I can do that?

    From your prompt:

    #export CC='/usr/bin/gcc-4.1'&&sh NVIDIA-Linux-[whatever]-pkg2.run

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  12. Re: Again with nvidia...

    John Thompson wrote:

    > From your prompt:
    >
    > #export CC='/usr/bin/gcc-4.1'&&sh NVIDIA-Linux-[whatever]-pkg2.run

    Solved!!! It was much more easy than to explain...)
    --
    Linux Debian 2.6.18-4-amd64

+ Reply to Thread